Phonte Sends message To Fans & ABB Records - "We Havent Seen a Dollar | Update : IGTV vid

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I remember this. I believe it was some BET concert where they got 0 reception basically said "we don't suck, the crowd does" :russ:
Lmao I think I remember that happening and tried to forget it. But let’s be honest, a lot of rap fans rely on name recognition when it comes to seeing an unfamiliar artist perform. I remember seeing someone referred to as a “fake rapper” because they weren’t on TV.

another thing I remember that made me chuckle a few years ago on social media is someone referred to Phonte as the comic book guy from the simpsons

There's no crying in baseball, and there's no copping pleas for performers.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
In that case, if the contract isn't being honored then they def need to sue and take it to court.......Pooh and Phonte got enough bread to get a lawyer I'm sure.....you can't expect the ppl they with or the record label execs to do the right thing bc they won't.
They have to be forced by the courts
Im saying. And they legit have a case here.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
There's no crying in baseball, and there's no copping pleas for performers.
That's fair, but at the same time I think there's a decent chance you're depriving yourself of some music you might really like, and all because of one piece of one XXL article from almost 20 years ago. Even if it's weak to cop pleas (and I don't disagree) they're still one of the GOAT live shows with an incredible catalogue.

It just seems like a super specific reason to not listen to any of their music. But you obviously have the right.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Im saying. And they legit have a case here.
And if it doesn't get rectified, I imagine they'll do that. If they can get what they want without resorting to paying for legal fees and using up that time and those resources, then they'll definitely try this option first.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
9th was getting paid though, lol.

Dude said he built a whole studio and started a label from funds he got from those albums, and thanked the fans. The Listening is a classic though. I copped that immediately after it dropped, and have a few copies on vinyl too. That's how much I love that album. But it seems like 9th was working privately with ABB to cut Pooh and Phonte out of bread, and that's never cool. So it's a shame they couldn't keep working together and building on that legacy. LB was a breath of fresh air for Hip Hop. Money really did them in. It's fukked up.
Man if only some hip hop group would come out and make multiple albums discussing the pitfalls of the industry and how it monetizes people at the expense of personality and authenticity…

Oh wait that was Little Brother, my bad :hubie:

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
Little Brother Explains the Conflict With ABB Records – Rock The Bells

Pooh: The fans are very cognizant of where their money is going. They want to know that the money is going to benefit the artist. So we alerted them: y'all going to get these reissues ain't supporting us. Y'all are supporting Ben Nickleberry of ABB Records. That's who y'all are supporting. Y'all not supporting Pooh, y'all not supporting Phonte—y'all supporting him. And when we alerted them to that, they rose to the occasion and said "Nah, we ain't going for it."

We definitely thank them for that. They supported us—as they did for De La Soul and as they did for Anita Baker and as they did for Dave Chappelle.

Karank0

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Madrid, Spain
Wasnt Getback on ABB? Why would they do another album with them if they hadn't gotten paid for the first 2 albums?

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I'm being a bit of a Pooh and Phonte apologist on this, but to be fair, 9th was only in the studio with them on their first album, and only toured with them on their first album. LB has existed way way longer without 9th being involved than with 9th involved. I think it'd be more weird if they did still talk about 9th all the time.
DIDNT HE PRODUCE THE 2ND ALBUM?

:devil:
:evil: