Phonte Sends message To Fans & ABB Records - "We Havent Seen a Dollar | Update : IGTV vid

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
THIS MAKES ZERO SENSE

:devil:
:evil:

Breh this has been outlined a bunch from posts in this thread, Twitter and in that 10 min video they dropped a few months back.

In short: lawsuits take time, money and resources. To LB it aint worth suing over. ABB was a small label and Beni B most likely aint got the money they're owed so they just want the rights to end all the drama

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
THIS MAKES ZERO SENSE

Not sure what to say. I'm not them and I'm not their lawyer. This is an incredibly complex and drawn out issue. There are people that get paid entirely just to figure out these things. 99% of the people on here that talk about masters, mechanical royalties, residuals, etc, don't know what they're talking about. I used to work with it and I don't even feel that confident talking about it. These things are immensely more complex than most people try to paint them out to be.

I'm pretty sure Phonte has dropped some videos talking about the situation on his social media accounts. Even if they win the lawsuit, they likely won't be able to collect on it.

The bigger point is that just because it "feels" like it might be illegal to you, in no way means that it is.

EDIT: @CHICAGO check this out

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Breh this has been outlined a bunch from posts in this thread, Twitter and in that 10 min video they dropped a few months back.

In short: lawsuits take time, money and resources. To LB it aint worth suing over. ABB was a small label and Beni B most likely aint got the money they're owed so they just want the rights to end all the drama

TIME?

:dead:16 YEARS ISNT ENOUGH TIME?

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
TIME?

:dead:16 YEARS ISNT ENOUGH TIME?
that's not at all what @Motife43 said. He said nothing about 16 years being enough time to engage a lawsuit. It's more about, "is a handful of years of my life as well as the expenses worth more than my time and energy being directed into other pursuits that will enrich me creatively and financially instead?"

No one has said that 16 years isn't enough time to handle a lawsuit. It most definitely is, but that's never been the reason why ABB wasn't sued for an obvious breach of contract.

Also, it's pretty amazing how many people simply son't want to have to be involved with a situation where they have to deal with people and situations that they find exhausting and frustrating. Funny enough, that's the reason why 90% of the uncleared samples on every indie hip-hop release (yep, all of them) don't ever get sued by the owners. 99% of the sampled hip-hop being released in 2021 is all uncleared. It's a massive myth that you that the music put onto DSPs or vinyl is cleared. It's almost always not.

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Looks like Evidence also got his masters back from ABB like LB did. :wow: For cats that didn't know, LB and Evidence were on ABB at the same time.

Damn I didn't realize his solo albums were on ABB as well.

The ABB drama has me feeling guilty about listening to other artists who were on the label on streaming, like The Sound Providers

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Damn I didn't realize his solo albums were on ABB as well.

The ABB drama has me feeling guilty about listening to other artists who were on the label on streaming, like The Sound Providers

The sound Providers are so dope.

^^ One of of my fav hiphop songs of all time. Song always reminds me of why I fell in love with this Hip Hip shyt.

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
The sound Providers are so dope.

^^ One of of my fav hiphop songs of all time. Song always reminds me of why I fell in love with this Hip Hip shyt.

Freddie Joachim said that song got him into producing

ABB connection, they had LB on their first LP

Phonte mentioned La Maraka Lounge after his verse, that's the first spot I hit for a party when i moved to Durham for college lol