Players are finally getting paid for old 'NCAA Football' games. Now please make new ones.

shhh-kull & bones

Judah have I loved, Esau have I hated! -GAWD
Daps
Reppin
BK, USA
:ohhh:

Players are finally getting paid for old 'NCAA Football' games. Now please make new ones.

By Alex Kirshner  @alex_kirshner on Apr 11, 2016, 2:02p

The reason EA Sports stopped making its NCAA Football video game series after 2013 is pretty simple.

It became a big legal problem for the game creator to use player likenesses without paying them for their faces and bodies, while the NCAA viewed the alternative – letting someone pay its players with real money – as anathema to the notion of amateurism that undergirds the organization's entire business model.

Paying athletes wasn't palatable for the NCAA. Not paying them wasn't palatable for EA, once the court battle started.

So, EA stopped making the games, and they've been gone ever since. But nearly two years ago, EA Sports and handful of other parties agreed to what amounted to a $60 million settlement package to pay out checks to "certain Division I men's basketball and Division I Bowl Subdivision football student-athletes who attended certain institutions during the years the games were sold."

Those checks are starting to roll in.

Channing Crowder, formerly of Florida and then the Miami Dolphins took a crack at estimating his cut per year he played in Gainesville, and he arrived at about $243 annually.

Got my NCAA/EA likeness Settlement payment today. I was only at UF 2 yrs, so that's bout $243/yr. ??? Well... ???? pic.twitter.com/NLG17yiPOe

— Channing Crowder (@OfficialCrowder) April 11, 2016
Former Maryland quarterback C.J. Brown:

USA Today's Steve Berkowitz reported last week that the players' checks were in the mail:

Pre-tax amounts ranging from less than $100 to nearly $9,300 will go to players whose names and/or images appeared in EA Sports football or basketball games issued from 2003-04 through 2013-14 and who filed timely, valid claims.

Because the games included current-season teams and notable teams from prior seasons, the settlement recipients cover a vast timespan reaching to present college football rosters. (No current basketball players are covered because EA discontinued its basketball game after the 2009-10 edition.)

Numbers and expectations have been all over the place; $1,600 is one reported average payment.

Several current players will receive checks, Berkowitz reported. The amount per person will vary, based on a calculation that's a bit confusing to figure out. It's also unclear exactly how the burden of payment will be split up between the NCAA, EA and the Collegiate Licensing Co. All were party to various disputes over the games.

We've reached out to the NCAA and EA Sports press offices for comment, and we'll update this post when we hear back.

A court has allowed that the game series could return, but there are several administrative and financial reasons not to think it'll be back soon despite anything to do with the settlement.

It's high time for the EA and the NCAA to give back this game to the world. Legions of kids are at risk of growing up on a planet where they can't recruit a five-star quarterback to Arkansas State and then lead the Red Wolves to a College Football Playoff run past Alabama and Clemson. It's time for this madness to end.

str8up

dial 1900-raekwon
Supporter
Daps
Man I'd do anything for a new college hoops game on next gen, just the all the good college hoops 2k features but with updated graphics and some new shyt

just random names and all dat, let people make the rosters. I'd pay way too much for this shyt, just one more game to last for another decade

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Why can't they just generate fake numbers/names?
It's not that, it's the likeness that got them.

They will have to create generic players at each position that look exactly the same with the same ratings for them to get away with it. Custom Rosters will take months to come out at that point as every single player will have to be individually edited.

the artist known az

Hail the victors
Daps
Reppin
TSC FA' Life #ByrdGang

They will have to create generic players at each position that look exactly the same with the same ratings for them to get away with it. Custom Rosters will take months to come out at that point as every single player will have to be individually edited.
I meant like if you playing "dynasty" mode and when you going into a new season & in the recruiting process & they got all the generated people for you to recruit. Just generic faces, places, attributes, etc

Schmoove

All Star
Daps

I'll take that if it means a new game on the current gen :mjcry: