Post Some Horror Films Like 'Get Out' and 'Us' w/ Social Commentary and Symbolism

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
What does jack stand for?:ohhh:

That’s what I want to know @Nero Christ
:feedme:

giphy.gif

Daps
Reppin
Miami Beach, the 305
The Babadook!!!!!!!!!

Best horror thriller I’ve seen past 5 years and that still stands true. Absolutely love film and every time I watch it I’m blown away by it.

And it’s on Netflix now. Peele actually had it on his list of films he made all the actors of US watch prior to filming

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
@Ghostwriter drop some thoughts when you watch any of these movies man. I'm interested in your opinion of them.

Fred.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
What does jack stand for?:ohhh:

The Shining is essentially a film about America & Americana so to speak. The film deals with racism, sexism, classism, & the American family. We see the racist aspects of the film from how the cook is referred too, the building of the hotel on top of an Indian burial ground, & the blatant disrespect of Indian art the way Jack was throwing the ball against it. We see sexism in Jack being upset that Wendy won't let him discipline Danny the way he wants to & his disrespect for her. Classism is depicted with the tour guide's happiness at the Overlook hotel being built on an Indian burial ground and the fighting off of Indians as if it were worth it. In the long run, the atrocity was alright because look at what we built. The American family is touched on in several manners but you see the breaking down of it through Wendy not agreeing with Jack's parenting methods and the ultimate fighting away Danny & herself from Jack.

All of this shows that Jack is your quintessential white man. With everything geared towards him due to the systems in place, once change starts happening that question his authority or flat out take away his power, you see the violent backlash. Jack was calm in the beginning even if rude to his family, but when they start breaking away from him, and then a black man is coming to save them, you see the true nature of Jack, one that has always been there (the ending with the party photo), and will be there (everything that happen during the movie), and will go on in the future too.

You can find a deeper analysis here:
Stanley Kubrick’s ‘The Shining’: American Deterioration Through Americana | The Artifice

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
A theory on The Shining that has a lot of credence is Jack sexually abused Danny.

Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
The Shining is essentially a film about America & Americana so to speak. The film deals with racism, sexism, classism, & the American family. We see the racist aspects of the film from how the cook is referred too, the building of the hotel on top of an Indian burial ground, & the blatant disrespect of Indian art the way Jack was throwing the ball against it. We see sexism in Jack being upset that Wendy won't let him discipline Danny the way he wants to & his disrespect for her. Classism is depicted with the tour guide's happiness at the Overlook hotel being built on an Indian burial ground and the fighting off of Indians as if it were worth it. In the long run, the atrocity was alright because look at what we built. The American family is touched on in several manners but you see the breaking down of it through Wendy not agreeing with Jack's parenting methods and the ultimate fighting away Danny & herself from Jack.

All of this shows that Jack is your quintessential white man. With everything geared towards him due to the systems in place, once change starts happening that question his authority or flat out take away his power, you see the violent backlash. Jack was calm in the beginning even if rude to his family, but when they start breaking away from him, and then a black man is coming to save them, you see the true nature of Jack, one that has always been there (the ending with the party photo), and will be there (everything that happen during the movie), and will go on in the future too.

You can find a deeper analysis here:
Stanley Kubrick’s ‘The Shining’: American Deterioration Through Americana | The Artifice
:ohhh:

:mindblown:

:dwillhuh:

BlackMafia

Superstar
Daps
@Ghostwriter drop some thoughts when you watch any of these movies man. I'm interested in your opinion of them.

Fred.
I watched Invasion of The Body Snatchers (1978) last night for the first time. A lot of parallels to today where things like Mass Gun Shootings, Global Warming, Russia Election Interference, etc are real threats to society, but a lot of the "experts" or people in charge shrug them off as fake news or conspiracy just like they did in the film. There was a line in the film where someone says if an alien invasion were to happen, it wouldn't be spaceships coming and we wouldn't even know because of all the junk we consume. I thought that line hit the nail on the head of the world today.

I also thought about it's commentary on Mental Health. The therapist guy David kept telling the women that it was in their head and to go home and sleep on it. Almost like today's doctor's that are quick to prescribe meds to patients. I know I might be reaching, but I took that from it. I might have missed some other stuff. Help me out if I did.

I'm gonna watch The People Under The Stairs tonight.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I watched Invasion of The Body Snatchers (1978) last night for the first time. A lot of parallels to today where things like Mass Gun Shootings, Global Warming, Russia Election Interference, etc are real threats to society, but a lot of the "experts" or people in charge shrug them off as fake news or conspiracy just like they did in the film. There was a line in the film where someone says if an alien invasion were to happen, it wouldn't be spaceships coming and we wouldn't even know because of all the junk we consume. I thought that line hit the nail on the head of the world today.

I also thought about it's commentary on Mental Health. The therapist guy David kept telling the women that it was in their head and to go home and sleep on it. Almost like today's doctor's that are quick to prescribe meds to patients. I know I might be reaching, but I took that from it. I might have missed some other stuff. Help me out if I did.

I'm gonna watch The People Under The Stairs tonight.

Nah I think you're pretty much 100% on point with all that.

Also, there was a lot written about how it's a metaphor for big city life dehumanizing people. The '78 version, anyway. The original (1956) focused more on era specific things like The Red Scare (paranoia over who was Communist sympathizers during the Cold War, etc.)

Anyway, if you got all that from "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers", you're gonna love "They Live". It's cheesy (in a good, 1980's sort of way) but fits what's going on right now so much it's scary.

Fred.