Post Some Horror Films Like 'Get Out' and 'Us' w/ Social Commentary and Symbolism

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Glad you liked it. This movie really took me by surprise when I first watched it. An instant classic.

You may want to check out The Serpent and the Rainbow, which is also directed by Wes Craven and has a large black cast. I haven't seen it myself, so not sure if it's good or not.

"The Serpent And The Rainbow" is real dope. I don't remember it having any subtext or social commentary, though. But it's been years since I watched it.

Fred.

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
The Addiction [1995] drug addiction and religion

Addictionposter.jpg

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
The Shining is essentially a film about America & Americana so to speak. The film deals with racism, sexism, classism, & the American family. We see the racist aspects of the film from how the cook is referred too, the building of the hotel on top of an Indian burial ground, & the blatant disrespect of Indian art the way Jack was throwing the ball against it. We see sexism in Jack being upset that Wendy won't let him discipline Danny the way he wants to & his disrespect for her. Classism is depicted with the tour guide's happiness at the Overlook hotel being built on an Indian burial ground and the fighting off of Indians as if it were worth it. In the long run, the atrocity was alright because look at what we built. The American family is touched on in several manners but you see the breaking down of it through Wendy not agreeing with Jack's parenting methods and the ultimate fighting away Danny & herself from Jack.

All of this shows that Jack is your quintessential white man. With everything geared towards him due to the systems in place, once change starts happening that question his authority or flat out take away his power, you see the violent backlash. Jack was calm in the beginning even if rude to his family, but when they start breaking away from him, and then a black man is coming to save them, you see the true nature of Jack, one that has always been there (the ending with the party photo), and will be there (everything that happen during the movie), and will go on in the future too.

You can find a deeper analysis here:
Stanley Kubrick’s ‘The Shining’: American Deterioration Through Americana | The Artifice
"White man's burden..." :leavethehotel:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Eh....I'm gonna be honest with you that list is kinda shaky for the purposes of this thread.

Most of them don't have social commentary it's just :krs: "hey, this movie had scissors in it too, like 'Us'!"

Having said that, "Funny Games" from that list is dope as fukk and actually does have social commentary.

And "Martyrs" is gory as fukk, I think you were asking about movies like that the other day.

Fred.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Eh....I'm gonna be honest with you that list is kinda shaky for the purposes of this thread.

Most of them don't have social commentary it's just :krs: "hey, this movie had scissors in it too, like 'Us'!"

Having said that, "Funny Games" from that list is dope as fukk and actually does have social commentary.

And "Martyrs" is gory as fukk, I think you were asking about movies like that the other day.

Fred.

brehs, Martyrs is more than just gory, there's some real fukked up shyt that takes place in this movie:picard::damn: but the concept is one that I hadn't seen in a movie before & they nailed it

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
brehs, Martyrs is more than just gory, there's some real fukked up shyt that takes place in this movie:picard::damn: but the concept is one that I hadn't seen in a movie before & they nailed it

I have seen a lot of wild shyt and I couldn't finish martyrs :russ:

The French go ham when it comes to gore. That's their calling card in horror. Kinda like Italian horror movies focus on cinematography and sound....France is like "fukk that, more blood".

I remember I watched "High Tension", "Martyrs", and "Inside" all around the same time. :huhldup:

Fred.

BlackMafia

Superstar
Daps
:salute:@hex for recommending They Live.
A lot of social commentary going on in this.:blessed:
When I seen Keith David and Canadian Wrestling Hall of Famer Rowdy Roddy Piper was starring:ooh:
So many quotables too.:banderas:
:ahh:"Life's a bytch. And she's back in heat."
The last 30 minutes had me:damn:
:skip:: "We all sell out everyday. Might as well be for the :win:team... There's no more countries anymore. No more good guys. They're running the whole goddamn show."
shyt has me wondering if Aliens could be pulling this shyt off right now :lupe: or could the Aliens be a metaphor for the Illuminati.
:mindblown:They even had the underground tunnels of America like in 'Us'.

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: hex

Yade

BigJohnsons lol
Daps
US and Get Out were overrated as hell to me :francis:

Mainly so Get Out , everyone was making it out to be these GOAT movie :gucci:

Let’s not forget y’all was shytting on Jordan Peeles Comedy Central show for being super unfunny and cacish

I never forget :scust: