Prince’s new single and video drops posthumously as estate releases Holly Rock

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps

The Prince Estate has released Holly Rock, the second single from the legend’s posthumous album, Originals.

The 15-song album, curated by Jay Z, is made up of tracks the 57-year-old wrote and recorded before handing them over to other singers.

And, alongside the track – which is a total bop – the estate also released a colourful animated video, showing a cartoon version of Prince playing a string of instruments.

The late singer, who tragically died in 2016, originally wrote Holly Rock for Sheila E, back in 1985, and it was later included in the soundtrack to movie Krush Groove.

While it wasn’t a hit at first, it has become a fan favourite – mainly because it’s so hard to get hold of the recording.

Thanks to Originals, Holly Rock is finally on a Prince album, meaning we can listen to it on repeat, whenever we see fit.

GettyImages-86103158.jpg

Prince’s estate released a posthumous album, Originals (Picture: Redferns)
Fans went into meltdown over the new release, branding it a ‘blessing’.

‘Originals is an amazing collection and once again highlights the genius of Prince! #Prince4EVER,’ one commented.

‘This whole album is a purple blessing. #princeforever,’ another said.

A YouTube fan posted: ‘Aww, this is so cute. Love the lil’ animation video. I love these Prince grooves. Musical royalty through and through.’

PRINCE-60ed.jpg

Prince was transformed into a cartoon for the Holly Rock video (Picture: YouTube)
‘Now I love this one! Especially with the animation! That makes it that much more authentic,’ a follower added. ‘I think Prince would’ve loved this as well!’

We totally agree.

Jay Z announced he would be releasing Originals on Tidal last month, to coincide with Prince’s birthday.

As well as Holly Rock, it includes Manic Monday, Nothing Compares 2 U and The Glamorous Life.

‘Prince led the way, for artistic freedom, for ownership,’ Jay said at the time of release. ‘He’s one of the bravest people I can think of in the industry.

‘He trusted us, not just me, but TIDAL, to continue his fight. Trying to help further that legacy through his music is an honour we couldn’t pass up as an organization dedicated to empowering artists.

‘This gives his true fans that peek behind the curtain.’

:patrice: