PS5 Players Spend Much More Time Playing Single Player Games Than Multiplayer Ones, Leaked Documents Suggest

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
  • Newly leaked PlayStation data has revealed that PS5 users spent more time playing single-player offline titles than others.
  • The multiplayer online and F2P titles appeared to be leagues behind in the charts as of January 2023.
  • The charts reveal a slew of other notable details. PS5 users had a lower initial engagement ramp up rate than PS4 users.

February-2023-gameplay-generated-3-billion-hours-of-gameplay-across-PS4-and-PS5-e1705148345607.jpeg

The-charts-for-PS5-shows-different-metrics-of-PS-games-and-monthly-gameplay-activity-e1705147310240.jpeg

One particular slide breaks down the total gameplay hours by the collective PS5 userbase month-by-month, and as per that slide, every month since the console launched, its user base has spent the majority of its time player single player games, generally accounting for more than 50% of the playtime for the month- and often much more than that, like in December 2022, when out of a total of 1.6 billion gameplay hours, 59% were spent in single player games, 20% in free-to-play multiplayer titles, and 21% in multiplayer titles for which a PlayStation Plus subscription is required.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
No shyt... Anybody with more than 5 games in their house knows they play 1 player a lot more. Especially in the days of multitasking around the house. Can't exactly pause COD online during the match so you can make a sandwich

But online PAY more, so they will be catered to.. Whoever has the gold, makes the rules

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
No shyt... Anybody with more than 5 games in their house knows they play 1 player a lot more. Especially in the days of multitasking around the house. Can't exactly pause COD online during the match so you can make a sandwich

But online PAY more, so they will be catered to.. Whoever has the gold, makes the rules

Yeah, unfortunately the online games have the reoccurring revenue streams attached to them but it was obvious the majority of the playstation player base grew up on single player

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
how does this work when the most played games are the Fortnite, COD, GTA, etc?

edit: I guess that group of very popular multiplayer games gets outnumbered by the sheer number of single player games

Last edited:

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
spent $12 on Battlefield 2042 and $10 on PS Plus to figure out why :francis:

this generation truly is the gen for single player games.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
In 2023 i bought 5 games: Street Fighter 6, Mortal Kombat 1, Baulder's Gate 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Spider-Man 2.

I probably spent more hours playing BG3 in one single weekend than i have playing SF6 and MK1 combined, to date. I enjoyed both fighting games too, but i prefer the immersive single player experience.

Same thing the previous year, where i bought NBA 2k23, Ragnarok, Elden Ring, Forbidden West; spent all my time with the latter 3.