Q-Tip Abstract Radio Salsa/Latin Mix Show 10pm Tonight 8/19/16 (Link INSIDE)

MusicConsulting

All Star
Daps
Respects music for always dropping heat.rep
And respect to you for being real about the culture of music, in general. :salute: People don't understand that only so much is going to be able to be preserved, do your part and keep it for the next generation and maybe we might get it passed for the next century, if we are blessed. :banderas:

Fania records really ran the fukking game, holy shyt. They literally were the latin motown in NYC, incredible & inspiring.

MusicConsulting

All Star
Daps
Just so people know the strength of this: Fania had 44,000 people in Yankee Stadium, they nearly lost the label & had to calm the waters with the mobsters of how much money they lost. But they did it for the culture.

Imagine that, 44,000 people in a baseball stadium and it wasn't a rock concert. It only happened ONCE. More than half of the records Tip played were stamped with "Fania" on their record. Only this label and this movement could've done this. Yankee Stadium never let another latin act play again.

The concert date fell on a Friday. The Yankees were in Oakland, Calif., playing the A's. In the Bronx, however, the stadium became "the largest gathering place for Puerto Ricans at the time," said Ray Collazo, a Puerto Rican disc jockey from Philadelphia. He made the trip to attend the historic concert.

"There were Puerto Rican flags everywhere. At one point, people passed around a giant Puerto Rican flag in the stands. There was a deep feeling of 'Boricua' pride," said Collazo, who was 20 at the time. Boricua is the term Puerto Rican natives often use to proudly identify themselves.

In 1973, most of the Latin population of New York was Puerto Rican, and the Bronx was the center of that community in the city.

The lineup for the concert was phenomenal. Not only because it gathered the legendary Fania All-Stars but also because the opening acts were three great Latin bands from the era: Tipica 73 with Adalberto Santiago; El Gran Combo with Andy Montañez; and Mongo Santamaria.

When the Fania All-Stars finally took the stage, the audience was "super excited," Collazo said. Many people in the crowd became so excited that they could no longer remain seated.

"We played only one set of songs," Harlow said. "During the song 'Congo Bongo' [which featured a conga duel between Mongo Santamaria and Ray Barretto], the audience went wild and stormed the field."

Said Collazo: "Johnny Pacheco [one of the musicians] started screaming and asking people not to enter the field. But the more he said it, the more people jumped in."

Police were unable to contain the crowd, and the musicians stopped performing when the audience overtook the stage.

"A girl started dancing on top of my piano, and I got scared," Harlow said. "We had placed fireworks inside the piano to set them off later, during the show. I saw that crazy crowd taking the stage, and I told Pacheco, 'Let's get out of here before this thing blows up,'" Harlow recalled with a big laugh.

"I ran with some others towards the trailers behind the stage. We locked ourselves in there," he said. "Some of the other musicians ran towards the dugouts and locked themselves in the clubhouses."

That's some "Beatles" shyt. They couldn't finish the concert, THAT's how BIG this shyt was. They had that much energy they couldn't control the people. I swear to you more than 70 percent of this dj mix was Fania. They were putting out records like water. Fania has over 1500 titles to their name. How the hell do you pay everybody? These bands, the writers,the vocalists, arrangers.

THis label was sooo gangsta, they lost their shirt a few times & gained it all back. Someone needs to do a Netflix series on Fania Empire. They started out with the records in the TRUNK Of the car, sound familiar to anyone? :ohhh:

MusicConsulting

All Star
Daps
Here's the link to the mix show if you wanted to check it out:

For some reason, it split up the hours and I'm not sure why. I don't think the music stopped for more than 5 seconds. If someone has a answer to that, I'd like to know. :yeshrug:I think I can stop it on my own, why does it do that? :usure:

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
Willie Colon & Hector: the o.g. gangstas who fought people who tried it with them. Don't be threatening to a man with a Trombone. He's going to break your face with it.

R-5322284-1403293367-9400.jpeg.jpg

You see that suit? That guy with the blanket & rope, he didn't make the right decision :ufdup: That cover was Pre No Limit, Rap A Lot,Suave House,Ruthless. :pachaha:

More Lavoe..... :ohlawd:
This cover is A1