Question about COLLEGE MAJORS

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
all jokes aside, nursing is a great field as well IMO. even if u are a dude. the options of what u can do is limitless. especially if u end up getting ur master's in something to go along with that RN.

gangreen

Top Notch
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn #byrdgang
Accounting will guarantee u a job. Getting into the corporate world is tough, probably need an MBA if u looking to make it up the corporate ladder. You are set if u get an accounting degree and then an MBA. by the time, u finish the economy will be in an upswing.

Majoring in accounting is the way to go in my humble opinion

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
Real estate salesman and loan officer are completely different. Anyway, you want to go into banking/financial institution work? Well, you can major in finance.

thats for clarifying that man
more in the loan officer field

whats finance majors usual ccourses of study if you dont mind me asking bro?

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Last edited by a moderator:

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
Listen homie. No offense to the other posters but your not going to be handed a golden key.

This is going to sound redundant and unhelpful but if you find something you love to do, you'll be okay.

I'll tell you something real. My homie had a gig when we were 16. He used to cut the grass at the golf course and manage the greens or some shyt. It was cool for him cause he was on the golf team, plus he loved to golf, it also paid 14 an hour and he was there like 4-6 days a week. Anyway he kinda thought that he wanted to design golf courses or some shyt...ended up going to school for accounting or something you figure would always be in demand..He graduated with that, as a summer job when he came back he went back to his old job, cutting..He knew the owners and still loves the games, it turns out they started having him be a golf tutor and run camps for kids and shyt. Now they are getting him to provide input in a new area where they are putting up a new golf course and it's being cropped to mimics some of the best holes in the US and internationally.

Other than that he has of course met famous golfers and trainers, he's done some traveling, been to the senior pga tour and some other shyts. In spring he's going to be taking pictures because he's putting out a little golfing book with keys to the green and tips etc.

It's wild because we are like damn maybe you will design courses one day. He's far from rich but he's making 50gs a year, he's single, no kids, no car note....if he ever gets bored or tired from golf or whatever which is unlikely since he's loved it since he was a kid, he can fall back on his degree.

I have a story a cat I knew that is big into lighting and sound I've told this before in another thread he was in theater, he started doing lighting and sound for the school musicals and such. Dude knew the system so well, they had him set up for conferences, he even did the hook up for graduation. Did so well he got 'hired' mind you he was 17..to back and forth from our 2 high schools and hook up lighting and sound...dude networked..was doing it for local theaters and stages in the city that do plays/musicals, conferences/....He's worked at the 2 local arenas from our home town plus travelled to the stadiums where football is played to set up gigs there. I know at some point he was doing community college just to have some backing cause hes said when hes 60 he doesnt want to be climbing above stages to set lights and do that shyt. But that was roughly 7 years ago. He has some cool stories and have met some cool famous people. Like Paul McCartney asked him to make the lights do something crazy when he did a show there, Paul was asking him one on one if he could set up a light so it reflected off of him during a solo, not commanding but genuinely interested and bouncing ideas off this 23year old kid...its just one of the more interesting stories he has told but who would have ever thought that shyt would take him this far?

shyt breh I know this is a lot to read and it should be taken with a grain of salt, I can tell you from experience I've had a job where the money was good and all I had to do was shut the fukk up and punch in, but that shyt wasn't sweet, I wasn't happy, I got burned out and it was the only time I wanted to literally jump off a cliff. I seriously walked out of work during my shift and came back a day and a half later and whereas other people woulda got written up or fired, they didn't say anything but "hi"...

I got a best friend who is finishing the new york film academy program in LA, his shyt is in some film festival right now.
I got a girl who is an actor/singer and just moved from Australia to New Zealand and signed a recording contract.
I got a homie who works in a verizon store and makes 45gs a year
And a cat who is one of if not the best bartender in my state and he makes duckets.
I also have a friend who is a biologist (a birder if you will) has travel a bunch of places in US, Canada and Mexico..is going to Iceland next winter.

That shyt is sweet but it ain't for everyone. You gotta be you, find what you love and just go.

:dwillhuh:

OP ignore this post.

Go to CC your first two year to keep costs low.

Do summer school, work and stay focused.

When they have job fairs on campus looking for interns you need to be there networking.

Transfer to a four year and graduate on time.

:laff: @ the "op, ignore this post"

this is the classic dilemma.

be safe, or follow your dreams? one will have you good but unhappy, the other might have you broke.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:huhldup:

Sounds like everybody in your writeup is living the dream but you dougy. Hope you find what you like.

Nah playboy, I got it good :yes:

:dwillhuh:

OP ignore this post.

Go to CC your first two year to keep costs low.

Do summer school, work and stay focused.

When they have job fairs on campus looking for interns you need to be there networking.

Transfer to a four year and graduate on time.

He doesnt need to ignore the post, he should do that, but he should be doing that for something he is interested in verses something that aint gonna pan out. Too many people go to school for business or accounting to realize they dont want to be an accountant. We could talk him into going to school to be a chemical engineer or s physicist but if it dont jive with the nikka then we hold some of the responsibility when he fails.

Are we tryin to help him or get him on easy street? Hey dog are you 18? Check it, sign up for the air force, you dont even have to do shyt, no shooting no killing, you'll do pushups so you'll be cut. But you can do it after you go to a 4 year university college. Which if you start up right after you'll be 22 then 23, then you leave for the Air force, travel the country, then the world..youll be 27 or 28, still young, and done. No loans (GI bill), educated, and have travelled. :krs: damn if I was 18 thats what I would do :krs::krs::krs:

The cat says he loves money, he will learn you cant love money because love is a two way street. It cant love you back, he probably has a knack for something plus some things that he is interested in, CC will be perfect especially for english, math, bio. It sounds like he has the ambition that most 18 years have as long as he stays on the right track he'll be ok.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:laff: @ the "op, ignore this post"

this is the classic dilemma.

be safe, or follow your dreams? one will have you good but unhappy, the other might have you broke.

My point is that for the 2 anecdotes I posted my homie that is doing the golf thing and my homie that does lighting and sound, is that the game chooses you. As for my peoples that are doing what they chose and are making it work, thats all cool and well but everyone cant do that.

Like I said my homie is making 45gs a year selling phones at verizon...I couldnt do that if I needed to to save my life. Also its not average or normal. We know successful accountants and engineers and shyt just like we know successful barbers and other shyt. Ask yourself do they people actually like their job (theres a good chance they do) or do they just suck it up and get the money?

Theres a reason not everyone is clamoring after these jobs and its not because they arent smart enough or qualified, i guess certain jobs just arent for certain types of people. Like people who can never work in a call center or people who could never work in a restaurant.