Question for the HL brehs, Is America todays great Empire?

Is the USA todays Great Empire?

• Murica....F*** YEA!!!!!!!!!

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thsnnor

Believer in Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Jesus
Last night as I'm chilling with some Family from around the way, we discuss world politics. One of my uncles is a die hard bleeding heart liberal. He was like "America does this, this, this etc wrong" brings up the wars we are/were involved in, brings up us getting involved in the issues of other country's. Says Why should we want to stop Iran from getting a nuke. Says we been losing wars the last 10+ years (which we all know if we drop them thangs its over right? :mjpls: ) I told him, We're the great empire of this day, just like previously it was the Romans, The Mongals, The Muslim, the British, The persian, etc whatever, they all wanted to expand and have a presence all over the world, for no other reason besides economics and control, to stabalize the world for their own interests. The same thing is happening today, we dont take over countries and claim them as ours, but our presense in these countries might as well be the same thing. Everything now is just sugar coated, and we ('Murica) are the great empire of this age. Agree? Disagree? Why? Why Not? I'd love to here the brehs opinions, ones living here, and abroad and see how they differ.

tl;dr. Is America the great empire of this day and age like the Romans, Persians, British, etc... used to be?

I would say America could be called a force to be reckoned with but now the level it's operating at will result in its demotion.

Gains

Superstar
Daps
imperialism1.jpg

Cuba-History.jpg

Deezy314619

All Star
Daps
Reppin
St Louis & SD
Gr8-est nation on earth I would say. But U.S. Is in a lot of turmoil rn. Ever since '08 and really '01 things haven't been the same. From my limited perspective and knowledge of the world it seems like China is up next

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
America is a global business and empire.

Just removing the political and military influence around the world still leaves us with the greatest cultural force known to man. Academia. Fashion. Music. Film. Art. Sciences. Technology. Business. Language. And the list goes on.

To even deny it would be extremely naive.

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
home made documentary says America is the military branch of The Vatican...in part II he digest the District of Columbia

Roman Empire Rules Today Pt 1 (Full Length)

Roman Empire Rules Today Pt 2 (Full Length)

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
america is the biggest empire of today but it's not like empires of old. the reach of america is truly global while old empires could only have a presence in "the known world" which typically excluded all of the americas, most of subsaharan africa, and most of the far east.

the other difference is old empires physically dominated their territory with massive armies and navies, while america relies on soft power to do the bulk of its dominating. our military is tiny compared to the size of the empire.

I agree woth most of this but :francis: at the bolded. Ain't nothing "soft" about american power.

I would also that a big difference with other empires is that the US does not invade countries in order to keep them, and thus have no incentive nor intention to make things better there. It's a big difference for example with the Roman Empire, in which conquered lands were truly considered as part of the Empire and thus infrastructure etc was built and locals were integrated in command progressively. US empire is more a colonial system (controlling countries/areas for its own benefit) but without ever formally annexing those countries.

19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
I agree woth most of this but :francis: at the bolded. Ain't nothing "soft" about american power.
eh soft power just means your ability to attract people to you culturally. while america does use a lot of hard power by coercing and bombing other nations, the country spends way more energy trying to attract other countries culturally. the international market for american shyt is huge. blue jeans, fast food, sneakers, american movies all of this pushes other countries to consume more stuff and buy into american markets.

squiddyB

Pro
Daps
Reppin
#walkerset
Yes, as a result of the competition not stacking up.
In 50 years though, China and/or the EU are gonna top the US in economic control but the US are still going to have an iron grip on global culture and military presence.