Questlove defends Vol 1, Jay-Z responds

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Attacking Sunshine is a fake Rap opinion that nobody actually believes but people want to repeat

If it was so bad why did The Game freestyle over it during his up and coming rise?

How can a Babyface feature be wack objectively?

How can a Foxy Brown feature be wack? During this time she had key features during that era with Blackstreet and Jay Z.
The new female Rap renaissance should bow at her feet.

Oh and the Rap classic 'Rockin It' by the Furious Four ' the song sampled

Imo it's almost Anti Hip Hop to try to downplay the song

Last edited:

ajnapoleon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That biting ass nikka was tryna hop on :ahh: and :takedat: sellout scheme and it flopped

At least Jay not making songs with A$ap Ferg and lil durk and big sean :francis:

:whoa: Just playing no need to get upset

But back to the topic

I hated those out of place songs on Vol. 1

take those songs off and put the extended version of A million and One with rhyme no more

Might keep a city is mines and that's 2 classics or near classics :damn:

Sunshine with a diff beat maybe because if you listen he was spitting and never make that vid for it :shaq2:

he made the same mistake wit blueprint 2 ....to much filler :dahell:

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
Sunshine was (is) good it just so happens that awful music video fukked the song up music videos had a huge impacted on music singles back then.

"I know what girls like" needed to be removed

"Real nyggaz" wasn't bad but it didn't fit the flow of the album.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Album had 3-4 wack songs and the rest was near or 5/5.

that’s the weird thing, usually. Whole album quality is like 3/5, or one or two songs are 3/5. But here it was either classic or classically bad. Thanks to digitalization you can easily remove Sunshine and those joints :blessed:

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
Sunshine is still terrible!!! What is this person talking about

It really is. Album was the biggest mixed bag of any top tier rapper and is a lesson to other artist on sticking to the script.

How is Where I'm From and I Know What Girls Like in the same album? It just didn't seem to make sense.

ArchStanton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Album had 3-4 wack songs and the rest was near or 5/5.

that’s the weird thing, usually. Whole album quality is like 3/5, or one or two songs are 3/5. But here it was either classic or classically bad. Thanks to digitalization you can easily remove Sunshine and those joints :blessed:

I mean, we had the skip button back then, was no problem to do so most of the time. I even had a remote on my player back then. :flabbynsick:

Overall I like Volume One a lot, matter of fact I think the bulk of it holds up better than Volume 2, but to each their own.

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA
Quest probably has forgotten more about music then i will ever know, but i hate his hot takes. Just contrarian and nonsensical. Vol 1 was a deserved flop, Sunshine and I know what girls like did not go over peoples heads, they weren't that deep, just 80s samples, but if folks wasn't feeling them it is what it is.

Vol 1 had a couple of gems on it but it still wasn't a good album and mos def not near the top of his discography