R. KELLY been signed to RCA for 27 YEARS!!.."I signed my PUBLISHING away..I didnt read the CONTRACT"

ThrobbingHood

Take from the b*tch, give to the whores.
Daps
And that’s why people like Bill Withers retired wealthy:

Marcia, who met Withers in 1976, runs his publishing company from a tiny office on Sunset Boulevard. “We’re a mom-and-pop shop,” he says. “She’s my only overseer. I’m lucky I married a woman with an MBA.” Since Withers was the sole writer of most of his material, he gets half of every dollar his catalog generates – and “Lean on Me” alone has appeared in innumerable TV shows, movies and commercials. Any licensee that wants to use Withers’ master version of one of his songs needs his approval. “If it’s for a scene in a show where somebody is killed or something, we will turn them down,” says Marcia. “We don’t want people to associate, say, ‘Lean on Me’ with violence.” Technically, it’s possible to license a cover of one of his songs without his consent. “But that’s never happened,” he says. “They don’t want to piss me off.”

brother walt

GOOD AND CHEAP PODCAST
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
GOOD AND CHEAP PODCAST
If u think Chris brown own all his old hits u stupid he didn’t even write them shyts Chris brown will get less publicity and probably won’t have another hit and will cry about leaving his label for lack of promotion

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
to be honest...

i dont think RCA is the one to solely blame in this affair....

for example Chris Brown just renogatiated his contract with RCA and came out with a lovely deal which gives him the rights to a plethora of his Master recordings

the obvious culprit here is his MANAGEMENT at the time :ufdup:

a GOOD MANAGER is suppose to look out for the artists best intrests at all time and excercise all options avaiblable or create opportunities and not just snag what "appears" to be the best thing offered out of desperation...

alot of times these MANAGERS and LAWYERS don't give a fukk as long as they got thier 15% OR 20% CUT they could care less....you're just another "client" in thier stable......

and they sleep well at night knowing YOU have to deal with that burden of the bad deal

Chris has his masters for new records starting of last week under Chris Brown Entertainment. Not the classics.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Nah the way the game usually works is the artist gets raped out of the gate. Then when they blow and have some leverage the smart ones then renegotiate with their added power to get more of that money and to try and gain ownership of masters. That's where R Kelly fukked up. R Kelly didn't need his label to get popping due to all of his outside writing and producing. His management team fukked him by not taking advantage of that.

Reality is nobody stays super hot for long periods of time out of a select few. Everybody is looking for the next hot thing. Even artists whose labels stayed raping them saw their popularity decrease after time which is why as an artist you have to take advantage of that hot period to secure your money.

but r.kelly's hot period lasted two decades.

its crazy to find out that he still doesn't have his publishing.

low-key, this might work out for him in the end. otherwise, he prolly would've been blackballed by now.

SlimOG

Pro
Daps
Sometimes the lawyers run in the same circles as the people they suppose to be "protecting" you against...:sas2:
Entertainment Lawyers working for the labels to get u to sign the most fukked up deal in history sad shyt james brown owned nothing in his catalog had to keep touring just to keep the lights on died really with nothing sad u can't even retire cause ur business fukked up cause you're not knowing

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If I had to just throw out a guess, R Kelly probably negotiated a number of new deals with Sony/RCA over the years. But chances are those new deals offered him large advances as opposed to equity in his publishing, and he took that instead. And for artists that talented, they never seem pressed about the status of their old hits. Their mentality is almost always "I'll just make another one." The problem is that one day, that next one isn't coming any more, and you need to be prepared for when it doesn't by making sure you get paid for your old shyt.

Because he could drop some absolute FIRE right now, and the first thing that'll happen is someone will say it's good, but not as good as one of his songs from 20+ years back that he's not making money off of, and people will just spin the old shyt again.

SlimOG

Pro
Daps
If I had to just throw out a guess, R Kelly probably negotiated a number of new deals with Sony/RCA over the years. But chances are those new deals offered him large advances as opposed to equity in his publishing, and he took that instead. And for artists that talented, they never seem pressed about the status of their old hits. Their mentality is almost always "I'll just make another one." The problem is that one day, that next one isn't coming any more, and you need to be prepared for when it doesn't by making sure you get paid for your old shyt.

Because he could drop some absolute FIRE right now, and the first thing that'll happen is someone will say it's good, but not as good as one of his songs from 20+ years back that he's not making money off of, and people will just spin the old shyt again.
Yeah but u know Sony is not letting chris or really any artist own their old chart hitting masters that's the bread and butter...hell u seen how they did Mike Jackson when he had the ATV catalog and had most of the control and the ownership when back to him after 5 years they fukk him over on his last album just cause they really don't want artist in power because then they'll fade out.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah but u know Sony is not letting chris or really any artist own their old chart hitting masters that's the bread and butter...hell u seen how they did Mike Jackson when he had the ATV catalog and had most of the control and the ownership when back to him after 5 years they fukk him over on his last album just cause they really don't want artist in power because then they'll fade out.

What exactly did they do to Mike on his last album?

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

True story. They make it hard to get that done but there are cases of artists being able to buy back their masters. They just need to have enough bread to get it done. It's increasingly take but it's been done before.

What most of these artists won't mention to you though is that they live album to album like some people live check to check. They never have the disposable cash on hand to get that shyt done. It's part of why you see so many of the top tier artists getting involved with so many revenue streams outside of music. Rihanna is a good example of that. If I had to guess, sometime in the near future, there'll be some sort of announcement about her buying her back catalog back from Def Jam, since her Fenty line appears to be making her a decent amount of money right now.

SlimOG

Pro
Daps
True story. They make it hard to get that done but there are cases of artists being able to buy back their masters. They just need to have enough bread to get it done. It's increasingly take but it's been done before.

What most of these artists won't mention to you though is that they live album to album like some people live check to check. They never have the disposable cash on hand to get that shyt done. It's part of why you see so many of the top tier artists getting involved with so many revenue streams outside of music. Rihanna is a good example of that. If I had to guess, sometime in the near future, there'll be some sort of announcement about her buying her back catalog back from Def Jam, since her Fenty line appears to be making her a decent amount of money right now.
True but music is only one step the end game is to become a viable business and brand so u can do music when u feel it not cause I need tour money cause my bills due financial freedom is what most artist and people want.