Race, Morgan & The Walking Dead - A Coli Article

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
the only black man with "alpha" potential is heath and even that is off to a bad start as he most recently was getting sonned by a woman. morgan is too impractical for an entire group to want to follow him until life gets a lot safer, and quite frankly he doesnt behave like a leader and nobody seems intrigued by his way of doing things. so to that extent, it is true that the show never introduces black male characters gunning for that number one spot.

the show has recently dealt with its biggest race problem which was getting rid of one black man every time they introduced a new one. now they are juggling several simultaneously.

now if we want to talk black women, michonne seems to not only be a possible leader, she seems to be doing it in a way fundamentally different from all the male leaders on the show. she is more bureaucratic and representative of a benign government that is responsive to people. she's willing to moderate her tone even when dealing with spoiled and incompetent people, and has found ways of checking rick without ending up as his enemy.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
It's my pet peeve to see people use the wrong words in a sentence let alone a claimed writer albeit an amateur one.
I feel you.

I had the same problem in all of my posts. I'm always itching to press "post reply." I almost never reread until it's quoted. It's a terrible habit.

Thank you. :salute:

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
the only black man with "alpha" potential is heath and even that is off to a bad start as he most recently was getting sonned by a woman. morgan is too impractical for an entire group to want to follow him until life gets a lot safer, and quite frankly he doesnt behave like a leader and nobody seems intrigued by his way of doing things. so to that extent, it is true that the show never introduces black male characters gunning for that number one spot.

the show has recently dealt with its biggest race problem which was getting rid of one black man every time they introduced a new one. now they are juggling several simultaneously.

now if we want to talk black women, michonne seems to not only be a possible leader, she seems to be doing it in a way fundamentally different from all the male leaders on the show. she is more bureaucratic and representative of a benign government that is responsive to people. she's willing to moderate her tone even when dealing with spoiled and incompetent people, and has found ways of checking rick without ending up as his enemy.

Regarding your point about male characters gunning for that number one spot, you're right. I am very disappointed in how they nerfed Tyrese's character.

I have a strong feeling that they were afraid that if Tyrese was portrayed as he was in the comic, he'd be a fan favorite akin to Daryl. The audience would demand that "bubble wrap" protection for him. Even still, it was a suspect move to destroy his character like that. I do hope they through some wrinkles in the show and introduce a character, played by a black actor, to threaten Rick's spot as leader, without giving into stereotyped behaviors of such a character.

Michonne...is Michonne. :ohlawd: