Rakim Discusses Jazz Musician John Coltrane Influence on His Writing Technique w/KRS-One

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City
To be honest, I prefer Ra when he was on his simple but sleek shyt e.g. Microphone Fiend. Than when he got all 'flow-bending' like on Follow The Leader and No Omega. Great rhymes, but them shyts were largely offbeat.

Great video, though. Masters learn from other masters.

y'all seen this? :mjlol: @1:06 forward. and Ra's :merchant: reaction :deadmanny:

Follow the leader off beat???:mjlol:

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
Love seein shyt like this :wow:

Music critics/historian spend a great deal of time mapping out the evolution of genres based on artists within the same movement.... but the reality is that music transcends linear progression, and it's impossible to fully diagram the channels that inspiration flows through

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Now I understand why these dudes be sounding offbeat...

Boom Bap is 4/4 why the hell would you be using 3/4 and other exotic time signatures?

That will be like the drummer beating at 4/4 and Miles blowing at 6/8, that shat would sound OFF...

2Pac got the best flows in Hip Hop that is why his acapellas are some of the easiest to remix with new beats...When he wasn't rhyming drunk, his was always on point and on beat...

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To be honest, I prefer Ra when he was on his simple but sleek shyt e.g. Microphone Fiend. Than when he got all 'flow-bending' like on Follow The Leader and No Omega. Great rhymes, but them shyts were largely offbeat.

Great video, though. Masters learn from other masters.

y'all seen this? :mjlol: @1:06 forward. and Ra's :merchant: reaction :deadmanny:

You prefer everything simple cause you are simple.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Boom Bap is 4/4 why the hell would you be using 3/4 and other exotic time signatures?

That will be like the drummer beating at 4/4 and Miles blowing at 6/8, that shat would sound OFF...

2Pac got the best flows in Hip Hop that is why his acapellas are some of the easiest to remix with new beats...When he wasn't rhyming drunk, his was always on point and on beat...
Who's off beat? You can't be talking about Rakim surely...

pointproven214

i speak facts not emotions
Daps
Reppin
dallas texas

this is correct and in correct depending on how the instrumental it can change mid beat the time signature or a unconvential time signature it's called complex time signature.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's something a try-hard psuedo intellect would say.

Simplicity and clarity, while providing layers of depth/complexity underneath, are the hardest aspects of art.
You are the personification of pseudointellectual and it seems anything actually intellectual or not remedial is disliked by you or even aboherrent to your simple little brain. There's many ways to do things, Rakim excelled when he was more simple and when he went more complex but typically you only like the more simple shyt cause that's your ignornant nature.

Spades Of Aces

The Infinity Watcher
Daps
Reppin
Japan
Some great stuff here! Two legendary MC's in the room talking about hip hop. Rakim is definitely one of my favorites. It was good to hearing break down how he rhymes. Just so much thought and creativity put into it. He's really a master of his craft.