Rakim Discusses Jazz Musician John Coltrane Influence on His Writing Technique w/KRS-One

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
You are the personification of pseudointellectual and it seems anything actually intellectual or not remedial is disliked by you or even aboherrent to your simple little brain. There's many ways to do things, Rakim excelled when he was more simple and when he went more complex but typically you only like the more simple shyt cause that's your ignornant nature.

Juelz

Daps
Now I understand why these dudes be sounding offbeat...

Boom Bap is 4/4 why the hell would you be using 3/4 and other exotic time signatures?

That will be like the drummer beating at 4/4 and Miles blowing at 6/8, that shat would sound OFF...

Miles has done that...he's just using triplets

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
EIW4L8o.jpg

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City

Boom Bap is 4/4 why the hell would you be using 3/4 and other exotic time signatures?

That will be like the drummer beating at 4/4 and Miles blowing at 6/8, that shat would sound OFF...

2Pac got the best flows in Hip Hop that is why his acapellas are some of the easiest to remix with new beats...When he wasn't rhyming drunk, his was always on point and on beat...

I see where you going with this, but I think you getting your concepts mixed up. Don't think it had anything to do with time signatures.

In most rap beats the snare falls on the 2 and the 4 and there's most always a kick on the down beat (the one). Those are the most emphasized beats in the instrumental, and a lot of rappers will let their rhyme falls in a familiar and consistent place based on that back beat.

A rapper like 2 Pac usually rapped in 1/16th to get that jumpy hi hat feel, but he still let his rhyming word fall in a familiar place, that's probably why it's easier to lay his acapella for you.

Rakim and big were more experimental with their flow, in the tradition of jazz horn players who improvised and the culture of that world celebrated experimentation. The whole idea was to defy the expectation of the listener thru emphasizing off beats (not of the beat, but off beats as in not the 1, 2 or 4), use of phrasing, etc. So I see why you'd find it harder to place their acapella over an instrumental, because their rhyme patterns often defy expectation purposely. In other words the rhyme might land on the snare for 1 bar and then suddenly move to a different beat. The truth is, if you're very good at laying acapella, you can actually lay a big or rakim verse in more than one place and it still sound on, it'll just be emphasizing a different set of beats. I've heard remixes do this and it gives a verse a whole different feel.

These guys different.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
Funny because Biggie was trained by a Jazz musician as well on similar concepts... Like dude said above, two best flows all time probably:whoo:

I really miss flows like that. What I mean by that is old school rappers weaving in and out of the beat with syllable placement. All that weaving in and out shyt started with jazz and it's dope to see some rappers give props where it's due

You really don't see rappers weaning in and out too often these days with the new cats but there are some still that stick to it (good example would be joey badass on his song waves)

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
I see where you going with this, but I think you getting your concepts mixed up. Don't think it had anything to do with time signatures.

In most rap beats the snare falls on the 2 and the 4 and there's most always a kick on the down beat (the one). Those are the most emphasized beats in the instrumental, and a lot of rappers will let their rhyme falls in a familiar and consistent place based on that back beat.

A rapper like 2 Pac usually rapped in 1/16th to get that jumpy hi hat feel, but he still let his rhyming word fall in a familiar place, that's probably why it's easier to lay his acapella for you.

Rakim and big were more experimental with their flow, in the tradition of jazz horn players who improvised and the culture of that world celebrated experimentation. The whole idea was to defy the expectation of the listener thru emphasizing off beats (not of the beat, but off beats as in not the 1, 2 or 4), use of phrasing, etc. So I see why you'd find it harder to place their acapella over an instrumental, because their rhyme patterns often defy expectation purposely. In other words the rhyme might land on the snare for 1 bar and then suddenly move to a different beat. The truth is, if you're very good at laying acapella, you can actually lay a big or rakim verse in more than one place and it still sound on, it'll just be emphasizing a different set of beats. I've heard remixes do this and it gives a verse a whole different feel.

These guys different.

Dap plus rep.

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City

2Pac got the best flows in Hip Hop that is why his acapellas are some of the easiest to remix with new beats...When he wasn't rhyming drunk, his was always on point and on beat...

I could imagine you trying to lay this acapella and getting frustrated

Peep how hes constantly moving the emphasized beat by where the rhyme falls. He was just playing with time and words by the point. Sad they killed this dude so young.

pointproven214

i speak facts not emotions
Daps
Reppin
dallas texas

These guys different.

actually u wrong most time signatures in rap are 4/4 there are some that are not that and some are more complex but for the most part it's 4/4

now u can experiment with how u rhyme on the instrumental u can place rhymes wherever u want but most dudes rhyme perfectly on the snare 2 and 4 beat
because it sounds better but u can also do syncopation or do something called rest where u don't rhyme nothing at all or no syllable is stressed or there is just blank

also i disagree with your view on how pac rhymed pac placed his rhymes all over the beat and used syncopated rhythms and did rest sometimes.

combine that with meter where it is basically the rhythm of stress and unstressed syllables then u can understand why biggie rakim twista pac have great flows

Last edited: