“Rap doesn’t influence anyone to commit crimes”

Do you believe rap influences the youth to commit crimes?

• Yes

Votes: 143 74.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 25.1%

• Total voters

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
How come it never applies to any musicians other than Black musicians. When Black people played Blues they were accused of negatively influencing society. When White people stole that music and called it Country or Folk music then all of a sudden it was fine.

When Black people invented Rock and Roll it was called the devil's music. When lame ass White people stole it then all of a sudden the music was fine. Same thing with Jazz.

This is nothing more but another way to blame the Black man.
Johnny Cash is and was seen at as rebel/legend and his music is lauded

That motherfukker was a god damn criminal

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
no Difference from trump Influencing people from Imagery in words,,

It can happen if you are weak or already have those thought in you,,

PS
I was wstching Geto Boys, NWW. And 2 live crew at the age 9 or 10 i think,,

It didnt do shyt to me,,,

And you damn lie if you saying you didnt want to be clicked up like,,, lol

giphy.gif

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
somebody in here said it best when they said it's just theme music to what's already going on. Do people think those old military bands that were leading people to war was making them kill people? They literally had music playing while loading muskets and murdering people.

Army-Bands-01-227x300.jpg

5613125297_c740db13f0_b.jpg

BN-AC602_civil0_P_20131023122540.jpg

40fabb91fb82876efa8fe0c118119598--napoleonic-wars-british-army.jpg

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
To your last post you quoted me on: How am creating ghost arguments. I was asking Fat Matt a question because he was insinuating such a thing. He didn’t respond cause dude silly as fukk. Like y’all can act obtuse and skip over every single point I make when asking what are the leading causes of black plight, and how about we focus on them? The point is, rappers the easiest target for these fake intellectual ass nikkas, and thread after thread day after day about what’s wrong with the black community, rappers are at the forefront. And it’s completely disingenuous. I don’t give a fukk about having an unpopular opinion on this board.

I gave that antitode and many others as an example of somebody who learns and develop my opinions about society off personal experience. All the dumb shyt they wanna blame rap for, I was doing without the influence of rap lol.

See I’ve conceded many times that rap can and does have influence. These nikkas will not concede that they are picking low hanging fruit and focusing solely on rap music when the problems they frustrated with much deeper than rap. But they like to latch on to these points for dear life. Ok rap has negative influence, now what? These nikkas not gonna do nothing but make thread after thread and try to make rappers the boogeyman of society, then shame you for listening to rap, then go get in the car and put on Jadakiss. I don’t take these nikkas or this rhetoric serious no matter how many words nikkas type on it.

Now to this post: Do you have an opinion on how black people in America are portrayed in the mainstream?

Nope not really. I have an awareness, just like I have an awareness of my history and everything else going on. But I don’t have an opining strong enough to where I’m about to make thread after thread on a damn Internet forum all day cherry picking hip hop. Hip hop not the problem. Eliminate hip hop and all black people ills still present. Why don’t y’all make thread after thread about that.

And another thing. Look at the thread title of the thread and it had a poll:

Do you believe rap influences the youth to commit crimes?​

Of course they can. But that is such a generic question. How is this not a invitation to a circle jerk of nikkas that just wanna shyt on rappers to get they rocks off. What is this doing for the community they care about so much? Not to say you can’t have these conversations. But how is this the only conversation being had…NON MOTHAfukkING STOP. These nikkas not concerned about the community. They concerned with trying to sound smart. I’m actually in the field. A lil nikka pulled a pistol on me like two months ago cause he getting frustrated with me telling him how DUMB the streets is. I wish a nikka would call cap too cause I can actually pull up the audio from my ring camera telling the nikka he ain’t gon do shyt and he not a killer. Couldn’t show the video. But the point is, I truly can’t take these nikkas serious. nikkas not pulling guns out on them for them trying to steer the youth right lol. They on the internet looking for YouTube videos that co-sign they points

Well look, you can't really educate dudes on the ills of street life when you bragadociously are still in it yourself, who is gonna take your point on that serious? This exact same thing was said to me once upon a time by a handful of guys 10+ years older than me, and guess where I met those nikkas? In JAIL, waiting to go do a bid, still active in the jails too, these weren't guys keeping to themselves and staying out the way. Which is akin to hearing the same stuff from a guy outside who is not just an active dealer, but a guy who is proudly an active dealer and let's everybody know it...

Because I've been in those shoes too, minus the speech to anyone on avoiding the streets. But certainly a guy really boastful with how I was moving at a point in time...

I don't follow this conversation enough on here to give much of a fukk about people having alternate opinions, but you certainly don't have an unpopular opinion on here. Whole lotta cats here agree with your side of the conversation; personally, assuming most everybody here is black, I don't see the issue with cats discussing it. We talk about a whole lot if shyt on here just as much as this topic, and this topic at least brings brainstorming to the table...

I also don't think that if someone has the opinion hip hop is detrimental in any way that they have to be activists 😂....

Aiight now just speaking for myself very directly, I've never argued that crime rose with hip hop, that the issues plaguing Black America are attributable to hip hop, or anything along those lines. But I don't like the general face if what hip hop presents black people as, and I have a problem with it. This is a separate emotion from whether I still listen to hip hop or not, because I do (I was on Hov's Vol 2 and Vol 3 all day today and those drops are full of all kinds of criminal glorification). I'm a self-aware and generally mature, mid-30s man. I can compartmentalize the music I like and why I do from how I act and behave as a representation of black people...

And I understand the historic footprint of portraying black people in the very same fashion that contemporary hip hop does, it bothers me. But that doesn't mean I have to swear off hip hop; I think again for myself personally, not speaking for anyone else, I have a burden via my daughters that I carry and it has evolved my opinions on hip hop from before I became a parent. No, I don't think listening to explicit rap will turn my kids into whatever the song is saying, but I do think it's my responsibility, as they become of age, to educate them on the boundary between the realities the music reflects, the larger sphere of how that frames us as a people to the larger world, and the entertainment aspect of the music...

And I don't mean "burden" as in this is something I stay up sweating at night about 😅, just that it's a responsibility I have to discuss with my girls as they get older, just like I have a responsibility to discuss many other things with them...

Like yourself, I wasn't coerced into the streets by rap, I looked up to this nikka named "Tim P" I thought was the illest dude ever and wanted to be like him, and shyt snowballed. In retrospect though, the music I played during my early early formative years in the streets probably gassed me to go harder, but I didn't jump out there because I heard a song. Nor do I think most guys outside do it from the music as primary influence...

So to be clear, my main issue with hip hop is its portrayal of black people in general. We know everyone black isn't a stereotype but nonblacks view us thru the lens of these stereotypes and have historically viewed us this way, abd these stereotypical images broadcast nationally and beyond of is are what laid the bones for the plights of black people that you, I, and others on both sides of this debate have spoken on...

My second biggest problem with contemporary hip hop is that it doesn't paint accurate realities of the street life it glorifies besides the glamour. In the music losing people close to you is glorified, we see that with these videos of funerals like that rapper from Louisiana, and different songs from popular rappers like Durk. The music doesn't effectively portray that losing someone close to you hurts, it's harmonized and glorified ("we gone up the score"), and the only people who can really feel the weight of the reality of this are people who lost someone tragically...

Contemporary hip hop also glorifies murder, again it's easy to rap the lyrics of hunting an "opp" or taking a life but most people aren't in these situations abd can't describe the feeling of being hunted by someone else or going and trying to, or succeeding in, taking another humans life. Whatever those emotions happen to be on the individual, the reality is they aren't just exciting sing-alongs...

Ditto for drug use and slanging, everybody threatens in their music to wack something if they get robbed, easier said than done, but the music doesn't reflect the feeling of someone stripping your grind from you, or the emotional path you have to take to rob others. You've been robbed before and so have I, May 3, 2016, I'll never forget the date. It ain't a happy go lucky rap song...

I'm long-winded by nature but I guess my overall point is that hip hop isn't the cause of black plight but certainly effects it, and in that case alot of us really aren't that far apart in our viewpoints at the root!

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Well look, you can't really educate dudes on the ills of street life when you bragadociously are still in it yourself, who is gonna take your point on that serious? This exact same thing was said to me once upon a time by a handful of guys 10+ years older than me, and guess where I met those nikkas? In JAIL, waiting to go do a bid, still active in the jails too, these weren't guys keeping to themselves and staying out the way. Which is akin to hearing the same stuff from a guy outside who is not just an active dealer, but a guy who is proudly an active dealer and let's everybody know it...

Because I've been in those shoes too, minus the speech to anyone on avoiding the streets. But certainly a guy really boastful with how I was moving at a point in time...

I don't follow this conversation enough on here to give much of a fukk about people having alternate opinions, but you certainly don't have an unpopular opinion on here. Whole lotta cats here agree with your side of the conversation; personally, assuming most everybody here is black, I don't see the issue with cats discussing it. We talk about a whole lot if shyt on here just as much as this topic, and this topic at least brings brainstorming to the table...

I also don't think that if someone has the opinion hip hop is detrimental in any way that they have to be activists 😂....

Aiight now just speaking for myself very directly, I've never argued that crime rose with hip hop, that the issues plaguing Black America are attributable to hip hop, or anything along those lines. But I don't like the general face if what hip hop presents black people as, and I have a problem with it. This is a separate emotion from whether I still listen to hip hop or not, because I do (I was on Hov's Vol 2 and Vol 3 all day today and those drops are full of all kinds of criminal glorification). I'm a self-aware and generally mature, mid-30s man. I can compartmentalize the music I like and why I do from how I act and behave as a representation of black people...

And I understand the historic footprint of portraying black people in the very same fashion that contemporary hip hop does, it bothers me. But that doesn't mean I have to swear off hip hop; I think again for myself personally, not speaking for anyone else, I have a burden via my daughters that I carry and it has evolved my opinions on hip hop from before I became a parent. No, I don't think listening to explicit rap will turn my kids into whatever the song is saying, but I do think it's my responsibility, as they become of age, to educate them on the boundary between the realities the music reflects, the larger sphere of how that frames us as a people to the larger world, and the entertainment aspect of the music...

And I don't mean "burden" as in this is something I stay up sweating at night about 😅, just that it's a responsibility I have to discuss with my girls as they get older, just like I have a responsibility to discuss many other things with them...

Like yourself, I wasn't coerced into the streets by rap, I looked up to this nikka named "Tim P" I thought was the illest dude ever and wanted to be like him, and shyt snowballed. In retrospect though, the music I played during my early early formative years in the streets probably gassed me to go harder, but I didn't jump out there because I heard a song. Nor do I think most guys outside do it from the music as primary influence...

So to be clear, my main issue with hip hop is its portrayal of black people in general. We know everyone black isn't a stereotype but nonblacks view us thru the lens of these stereotypes and have historically viewed us this way, abd these stereotypical images broadcast nationally and beyond of is are what laid the bones for the plights of black people that you, I, and others on both sides of this debate have spoken on...

My second biggest problem with contemporary hip hop is that it doesn't paint accurate realities of the street life it glorifies besides the glamour. In the music losing people close to you is glorified, we see that with these videos of funerals like that rapper from Louisiana, and different songs from popular rappers like Durk. The music doesn't effectively portray that losing someone close to you hurts, it's harmonized and glorified ("we gone up the score"), and the only people who can really feel the weight of the reality of this are people who lost someone tragically...

Contemporary hip hop also glorifies murder, again it's easy to rap the lyrics of hunting an "opp" or taking a life but most people aren't in these situations abd can't describe the feeling of being hunted by someone else or going and trying to, or succeeding in, taking another humans life. Whatever those emotions happen to be on the individual, the reality is they aren't just exciting sing-alongs...

Ditto for drug use and slanging, everybody threatens in their music to wack something if they get robbed, easier said than done, but the music doesn't reflect the feeling of someone stripping your grind from you, or the emotional path you have to take to rob others. You've been robbed before and so have I, May 3, 2016, I'll never forget the date. It ain't a happy go lucky rap song...

I'm long-winded by nature but I guess my overall point is that hip hop isn't the cause of black plight but certainly effects it, and in that case alot of us really aren't that far apart in our viewpoints at the root!

Murk you know it’s a big difference in how you make your money and actually being in the streets. It’s all kind of grey areas. I’m not a street nikka. I’ve grown way past that. Certain things I did in the past I would never do. But at the same time, I wouldn’t be considered totally straight. Mothafukkas who been on the board can read between the lines. And anybody (which is several people) who done interacted with me on this board will tell you I do not promote no type of street shyt. At the same time they gonna tell you this nikka is exactly who he says he is.

The issue I have with this board is, people seem to get some sort of kick out of focusing on rappers and rap. I legit question the genuineness of a lot of these dudes. Some of these posters legit tie their whole posting identity to repeating the same points ad naseum. For example, I see you in all kind of threads. You like talking about cities, hip hop, etc… Some of these dudes have some sort of fetish and mainly post only in these type of threads. That shyt sickening to me. Therefore, I can’t bring myself to have real dialogue with these dudes. I don’t respect them. Just being honest.

What’s the end goal for these nikkas. What do they want? Do they want everyone to denounce hip hop? Do they want 100% of the people to come on these threads they make everyday and say I agree? Why these nikkas have to talk about the same ahit over and over again? The overall majority agrees with the point that rap can and does have negative influence. All these nikkas wanna do is be stuck on that all everyday with no type of action. These nikkas for sure get off on shaming nikkas on the internet. That’s why I can’t respect them. What type of nikkas doing silly shyt like that? They lame bro

TAYLONDO SAMSWORTHY

Veteran
Verified
Supporter
Daps

Damn this post is golden, prolly the longest post I’ve ever read on here and I felt every word. Dope post

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
Those of you trying to defend the toxic image hip hop has presented to the whole world, are either not Black yourselves or are so far lost in the mind. You have zero pride, ethics or even care for yourself.
If rappers were any other ethnic group doing what theyre doing, their own people would have long stopped them for misrepresenting them.
Hiphop is nothing more than misinformation and misrepresentation.

How has hip hop advanced Black people..?? Because the people who actually own it make all the money and a few scraps fall to the rappers, so we cannot sacrifice the image of Black people as a whole in order to benefit a few rappers with some loose change. It is a great imabalance.

The people trying to defend this bullshyt have no care or concern in the world for Black people who are not related to hiphop in any shape way or form but have to carry the stigma merely because theyre Black and get lumped in with all the rappers.

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Consider:

How many people running around sipping lean would have done so without their favorite rapper promoting/glamorizing it?

Take that and extrapolate because the Mirror Neurons in your head are automatically primed to imitate what they see. Add in the emotional spikes generated by music along with the nature of frequencies and resonance and it becomes obvious that the subversive nature of rap was subverted against the very people who originated it and then the scope was extended worldwide to hem up as much of the youth as it can.

120-MirrorNeurons.jpg

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Nobody is selling drugs because their favorite rapper does it. They do it because they're environment doesn't offer much else.

no street level dealer is making significant money selling drugs in 2022. it's damn near impossible to sustain that business with the amount of cameras, technology and surveillance these days.

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How come it never applies to any musicians other than Black musicians. When Black people played Blues they were accused of negatively influencing society. When White people stole that music and called it Country or Folk music then all of a sudden it was fine.

When Black people invented Rock and Roll it was called the devil's music. When lame ass White people stole it then all of a sudden the music was fine. Same thing with Jazz.

This is nothing more but another way to blame the Black man.

The muthafuka Dee Snyder testified in front of Congress because Rock was villainized.