Rate this anime day 129: Elfen lied

Rate: Elfen lied

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I have it 4/5 in my notes, but I can't really remember what it was about :francis:

RippTheRuler

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
When I first saw stranger things it reminded me of this. They way they had El up in the lab experimenting and she started killing them

RippTheRuler

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
This is one of those "there's a reason people don't watch anime shows" shows:picard:

That funny because this is the first anime I've ever seen and I liked it lol (I dont count DBZ, yu yu, gundam, cowboy bebop, sailor moon because I didn't know I was watching anime when I was watching all those toonami shows)

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This anime, Elfen Lied is so fukking :demonic: and at the same time shyt is a low-key pedo.....:sitdown:. shyt had me :whoa:. This shyt is not for kids to watch. It is a show intended for mature audiences, Yes there is gore and yes there is violence :huhldup:.

I'll give this 8.0

goatmane

Veteran
Daps
Plot is complete nonsense mixed with lots of violence ala Future Diary and Deadman Wonderland . One of the most overrated shows I watched. Tragic characters and I felt sorry for the girl

The Special Man

Let’em have it
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NOLA 9th Ward
I remember watching this when I was in high school, couldn't tell you what the plot was I just remember jacking off to the titties and the violence.

Man I was a fukking creep when I was younger :shaq2:

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
For those who missed Ninja Scroll this was their first experience with uncensored gore and nudity in anime. even having seen NS it's easier to stomach those things when it's cool adult samurai driving the action rather than teenage girls. Shocked a lot of people in the mid 2000s who either walked away thinking it was compelling or trash shock value with very little in between.

You had one side that felt pity for Lucy, found justice in her acts of violence that are in retaliation to other threats of violence, saw her as more of a victim than villian, wanted to see her live a life of normalcy with Kouta who is apparently the only kind human in Japan. Felt for the PTSD expressed by both Kouta and Lucy as well as all the forms of abuse against people that couldn't defend themselves. Were attracted to her design and didn't mind the fanservice scenes. There are some themes of discrimination/racism against the unknown, nature versus nurture (are the diclonius inherently evil? or are they a reaction to their environment? are humans more monstrous than they are?) that were received well. Bought into the theory that the diclonius are designed by God as a test to the human race. If they're evil, they get wiped out and the world is repopulated. Kind, then nothing changes.

Then you had the other side too grossed out by the entirely unnecessary fetishization, entirely uncessary incestual romance, gore that goes beyond just simple mutilation (can see skin tearing apart, bones visible), out of place fanservice scenes to care about anything else going on. Doesn't feel that bad for a literal weapon of mass destruction that kinda sorta deserves to be discriminated against for being capable of ending the entire planet if she so chose (nearly does in the manga). Doesn't buy the theory that the diclonius are designed by God to punish the cruelty of the human race when it takes only one person to ruin it for the entire planet.

When I first came across Elfen Lied I belonged to the first line of thinking. Gave the manga a 10/10. Totally sympathized with Lucy. Liked her design. A lot. Saw her as a hero in a world where basically everyone is a bytch and kinda sorta deserves what happens to them.

Recently watched it again some ten years later and now I lean more towards it being mediocre, maybe slightly above in the unintentionally funny dubbed version. It does hang itself with fanservice scenes that feel totally out of place in a horror. I feel less bad for Lucy since mass murder isn't an appropriate response to bullying nor a kid lying about the gender of his cousin. I still think the way the diclonius race is juxtaposed against the lowness of humanity is done well. That scientist with the glasses is a good character, Lucy is always interesting when on screen. The anime original ending is probably better than what the manga devolves into, am a fan of ambiguous endings that can be interpreted in a number of ways. also has a memorable theme song

giving it a 5-6

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Never watched this. Saw a trailer for it on YouTube damn near 20 years ago and it freaked me the fukk out :damn:

Nah fukk this demonic shyt :merchant:

seeing the gifs alone makes me remember that scary fukking trailer :damn: . This hot topic edgelord shyt gotta GO :camby:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
This shyt was disturbing at the time and almost made me quit watching anime and I was in my earlier beginnings of watching the genre….

Like literally one of the first 10

Probably right up @winb83 and @twan83 alley and I’m sure they protégée @Balla will be going down that path too.

It’s almost inevitable

But yes….. I don’t think I can put this anime in words

Balla

Superstar
Daps
This shyt was disturbing at the time and almost made me quit watching anime and I was in my earlier beginnings of watching the genre….

Like literally one of the first 10

Probably right up @winb83 and @twan83 alley and I’m sure they protégée @Balla will be going down that path too.

It’s almost inevitable

But yes….. I don’t think I can put this anime in words
This nikka man

:mjlol: :mjlol: