Rate this anime day 19: Trigun

Rate this anime: Trigun

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
All these threads about old anime make me sad. Look at how fluid, smooth, and soulful the animation use to be with the use of cels. Now days media all across the board is shallow and soulless
:banderas: If old animes make you sad you may cry the next two days.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I originally voted an 8 but I upped it to 9 off the strength of Vash the Stampede and Wolfwood. They were super complicated characters and to see the way the both of them struggled with morality and keeping the people they care about safe was very compelling. It's a great anime and definitely one of the best of the past 20 years.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Yep thanks G:myman:
source.gif

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
For about eleven episodes of Trigun you watch a goofy blonde make corny jokes, hit on every woman that walks past him and not take any villain seriously when he easily disarms them without killing them. There isn't any real tension, no established villain to press him and the animation looks mediocre. So it's hard to blame anyone for dropping it here.

but if you make it to episode 12....
giphy.gif

then you learn what Vash is hiding behind that smile, that he's a 150 years old alien with the power of a monster, and it becomes a S tier sci fi thriller. He has to make a choice between being a pacifist (taught to him by a parental figure) or a killer (born within him) with no half measures and it is very compelling to watch him struggle between his ideals and what is necessary to save the lives of his friends. The villains pretty much work to systematically break him down until he snaps mentally, at which point is tragic to watch.

He is similar to Kenshin in this way. Vash also has to work to find his own resolution to dispatching of enemies without sacrificing his humanity. But not even Kenshin was forced into something like this

Vash is maybe the most layered shounen lead ever created, depending on how you feel about Kenshin. A literal walking contradiction who is always in conflict with himself until the very end.

Trigun has about four other well designed characters who you could go into a lot of detail about, Wolfwood probably the best. Chain smoking "priest" wearing shades, in a tux, carrying a cross "heavy because it's full of mercy" on his back that transforms into a mini gun. His entire arc from start to (especially) finish is great.

most anime deaths end in some sentimental note with the soon to be deceased talking about what great a life they've lived and how their spirit will live on in everyone else.

Wolfwood? fukk that, I want to live and it's not fair that I get to die at this point when things were just starting to begin. It's an incredibly gut wrenching death scenes i=because you know he wasn't at peace at all and he goes out like people in the real world do when they get killed and there's no dragon balls to bring them back to life. In anger and frustration.

The second half is an easy ten. The first half is closer to a 7/8, and when I rewatch the show knowing what is about to happen I think better of that stretch. The Trigun film Badlands Rumbles is also pretty great, so I'll give it a 10 overall.

nominating Casshern Sins, Fate/Zero

really can't add much more than this. this was pretty much my review.

this was my first "Emotional Grind" anime. Meaning it started off goofy and fluffy like you'd expect any cartoon as a westerner..... quickly delved into real life shyt and grinded you to dust as it grinded the protagonists. It wasn't just "violence and titties", which was how I had been viewing "japanimation". It was DEEPER.

This was also the first anime I actively collected. I was in Suncoast damn near once a week hoping for a new tape to drop.

Still has the manga/anime death that hit me the hardest. "I DID NOT WANT TO DIE THIS WAY!!!! :damn::sadcam::to:"

Thread got me thinking about Vash and Knives clicking on empty chambers. shyt'll make you flinch.

Why did I only score it an 8?

Vash and Wolfwood are the only two characters with any kind of development. You learn why the world is such a crapsack place to be, but Meryll and Millie, Legato, The Gung-Ho Guns... they're sorta just... there. that's -1

It may start off too fluffy for a lot of viewers before delving into serious waters. It may turn too dark for some viewers who just wanna see Vash be happy go lucky, solve mysteries and beat the villain of the week. Breh whom I quoted said it best. It's like two shows. that's -1.

So yeah, I give it an 8.

Vash as a breh with a gun gets a 50/10. There IS no better gunslinger in the history of fiction. Vash is the single reason I try to stay with a pistol in every video game I play. Somebody tried to dispute it, but really. Vash threw rocks and deflected a bullet in mid-flight so it wouldn't kill somebody.

Homie shot up a saloon full of nikkas with a toy gun, and only one of those dudes had the sense to know vash had effortlessly "killed" them, despite the fact they had real guns and had been actively trying to kill him.

Another dude popped off and Vash didn't shiv cause dude gun (and every one's guns in the place) was empty.

Dude: :dwillhuh: H... how did you know our guns were empty!?

Vash: .....I counted. :manny:

Honestly... what's fukking with that?

8/10

Balla

Superstar
Daps
You're prolly thinking about the promotional pics they used for the series, not just that movie.

This was the cover for the first pics, posters, and the first VHS tape

MV5BNjMyYzg4NDMtYmE1OC00YzAxLTlhZGMtNjIyMWZkZjQyOWZhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc3OTE4Nzk@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Yeah why they look like that? And his bro got a pic like that too.

Frieza666

Roll with the punches
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lower East Side
Discovered this in 2003 watching Adult Swim. Trigun is probably my favorite if I had to pick a 30 episode series… I preferred it to cowboy easily (vash > spike, less filler, lowkey better music) :manny:

I can’t vote but I’d say 10/10