Rate This City: Day 65 - Portland OR

Rate: Portland OR

• Total voters

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
I didn't know about them when I was in town but I found this video on YouTube all about the black food truck scene.

Good lookin out, breh

Ima watch this right now :salute:

edit: I also recommend Rib Express.

has some good ass ribs & collard greens :lolbron: Also the peach cobbler is hittin like tyson

Last edited:

raidersreceiver

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Portland, OR
Appreciate yall both, may be on my visit list if I find out I got family there...

Is the black community in Portland matured, like are there community and civic events for us? Can you tell that black people have a presence in SE Pdx? Basically what is life for a brother like there? And what are sisters like who are born and raised out there?

Only thing I know about Portland is the Klan/white nationalist organizations, it has a reputation as being really hostile for blacks. I have a brother, who has a brother on their dad's side, who has left Sac twice to go live in Portland in 2-3 year stints, and he loves it...

That's about the extent of my knowledge though. And how do they receive/embrace Californians there? Seems like a number of Sacramento people have ties there, do you see people from other parts of Cali there or just Sac?
Idk I'm not black so I cant speak on it. I'm 30 and I've lived in Portland since 10 months old. In my experience all the black people stay in ne/se portland. Mexicans are basically everywhere. And the whites live in tualatin/lake Oswego type shyts

Nasty_Nate

Each one, teach one...
Daps
Reppin
I’ve been there twice, never stayed longer than a week, so take this for what it’s worth. Yeah, it’s overwhelming white, but there were more black folks than I expected. I think most lived on the northern side of town. The people were nice as hell. Genuinely nice, not the southern hospitality bullshyt I grew up around. It’s extremely liberal, so if you’re really uptight about certain things....don’t go. I know my really religious homie could never go there, he’d be ready to leave within an hour. The homie that lives in the area said the white supremacists are mostly out in the suburbs and outlying areas. Lotta different food options and the nightlife ain’t too bad. If you like strip clubs, there’s a lot of them. Last, but definitely not least, they have a huge homeless problem. You’ll notice it almost immediately, especially downtown. Homeless are everywhere and you’ll see the shyt you usually have with a lot of homeless together on one area, like untreated mental illness, drug use in public, and so on. I’d definitely go back, but could never live in city with a black population that low.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC

How would you compare it to Sac, fam? I know it rains more, is there a good amount of shyt to do? How are the women compared to Sac?

I ain't looking to relocate but I wanna visit, wanna have a good mental image of the city now that I have a reason to go...

I’ve been there twice, never stayed longer than a week, so take this for what it’s worth. Yeah, it’s overwhelming white, but there were more black folks than I expected. I think most lived on the northern side of town. The people were nice as hell. Genuinely nice, not the southern hospitality bullshyt I grew up around. It’s extremely liberal, so if you’re really uptight about certain things....don’t go. I know my really religious homie could never go there, he’d be ready to leave within an hour. The homie that lives in the area said the white supremacists are mostly out in the suburbs and outlying areas. Lotta different food options and the nightlife ain’t too bad. If you like strip clubs, there’s a lot of them. Last, but definitely not least, they have a huge homeless problem. You’ll notice it almost immediately, especially downtown. Homeless are everywhere and you’ll see the shyt you usually have with a lot of homeless together on one area, like untreated mental illness, drug use in public, and so on. I’d definitely go back, but could never live in city with a black population that low.

Appreciate it fam! I'm from California so the homeless and tweakers wouldn't surprise me lol...

I'd have my reservations about living somewhere with a low black population too, but I could do it if the community was strong. Like I know the comp is off because LA is so much bigger, but while LA as a whole has a small black percentage, South Central has ⅔ of the black people in all of Los Angeles and there's a string of cities surrounding South Central that have higher than average black populations. And because LA is so massive, you could live in this area of LA (South LA or the immediate surrounding string of cities) and experience plenty of black culture...

So if there's an area like that, I could live somewhere that doesn't have huge percentage of us. I don't know if Portland has an area like that, though...

27FarOutRazor

I feel like Jamin’ Jerome…WHERE THE BIT€HS!!
Daps
Anyone know any good night clubs, restaurants/ food trucks, or just things to do? I'm taking my solo trip there next month

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
i haven't been in a couple years, but I've been a handful of times on business. in my experience it's an 8. bad marks for the weather, the homeless situation, and the overall sinister feeling in the air. otherwise it's straight. heaven for a foodie

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
Anyone know any good night clubs, restaurants/ food trucks, or just things to do? I'm taking my solo trip there next month
check out ground kontrol arcade bar, Powells bookstore, and there is a food truck park downtown...I don't know the streets