Rate this HBCU Day 31: Winston-Salem State University

How would you rate Winston-Salem State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 1 12.5%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
240px-Winston-Salem_State_University_seal.svg.png
640px-Winston-Salem_State_University_logo.svg.png

Yesterday we looked at the small community college J. F. Drake State Community and Technical College which received a modest score of 6.4.

See the updated leaderboard here

Today we head to another big school, this time Winston-Salem State University in North Carolina. The second largest HBCU in North Carolina (slightly edging out Fayeteville State but still behind North Carolina Central University), it is lesser well-known in part because they are NCAA Div 2 (CIAA) though still have a strong band and sports program. It has an outsized impact on the sports world having produced both Stephen A. Smith and Chris Paul.

Started in 1892 with donations from New England textile manufacturer John Fox Slater, and originally known as Slater Industrial School, WSSU was in the fortunate position of having robust support from many local White and Black business people. One of its presidents, Simon Atkins, founded the Black community of Columbian Heights in Winston-Salem. It steadily grew in the 2nd half of the 20th century adding a nursing school in 1953 (still one of its most prominent majors) and eventually joining the University of North Carolina system in 1972.

Founded: 1892

City, State: Winston-Salem, NC

Type: 4-Year, Public

Nickname: Rams

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 5,226 (4,726 undergraduate), 78% Black

Part-time student percentage: 16%

First Generation Student Percentage: 36%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 51% / 8%

Out of State Percentage: 16% (top states Georgia, Virginia, Massachusetts, Ohio per Google Trends)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 16:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 81%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 27% / 51%

Transfer out rate: 26%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 24% male / 763% female (3.1:1)

Tuition: In-State: $6.2k, Out-of-State: $16.9k

Median Debt After Graduation: $25,000

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $38,584

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Registered nursing: $64k, Medical assistant: $54k, Criminal justice: $36k, Business administration: $35k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Nursing, sports medicine, education, biology, business administration, liberal arts, criminal justice

Endowment: $100M+ including $30M from MacKenzie Scott

Alumni Engagement: 6.6% of alumni give back

Athletic Conference: CIAA (NCAA, Div II)

Mascot: Amon the Ram

WINS-00013-2C.png

amon-40.jpg

Notable Alumni:

Stephen A. Smith, ESPN commentator :comeon::unimpressed:
Stephen_A._Smith_February_2020.jpg

Louis Farrakhan, Nation of Islam leader and political figure
Louis-Farrakhan-Nation-of-Islam-2007.jpg

Chris Paul, NBA player widely considered one of the best point guards of all time
Chris_Paul_%282022_All-Star_Weekend%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

20160323StudentsOnCampus139Ed-L.jpg

Main Campus
clocktower-web.jpg

Donald J. Reaves Student Activity Center
WSSU-Main.jpg

New Science Building
WSSU-3-1024x683.jpg

Bowman-Gray Stadium
24213501878_a1a1d9a1bf_o.jpg

Clarence C. Gaines Center
20180113_Mens_Basketball_038Ed.jpg

Red Sea of Sound Marching Band

meet-the-winston-salem-state-red-sea-of-sound-marching-band.jpg

Winston-Salem-State-university-band.jpg

Powerhouse Red and White Cheerleaders
ciaa-championship.jpg

20180820CheerleadingGroup054Ed-XL.jpg

Scarlet Lace Dance Team
52509d6576105.image.jpg

Miss WSSU and Miss Red & White

20210821%20Ramdition%20Ram%20Walk%20Through%20The%20Archway%20010Ed-L.jpg

20210821%20Ramdition%20Ram%20Walk%20Through%20The%20Archway%20006Ed-L.jpg

@powmia

@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

Last edited:

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Used to spend so much time on WSSU’s campus and Bowman Gray due to being from Winston, and having a lot of my family graduate from there. It’s a fine institution. One of my younger cousins is a recent grad. Got a degree in sports medicine, and works for the ACC now. A lot of nurses come from there as well.

They used to be in the MEAC, but left around 2008/2009. I remember going to the WSSU/A&T game my freshman year at T. They beat us, they left the MEAC, and we haven’t seen them since, I believe. Used to be a big time rivalry.

Surprised at that 78 black percentage.

young3000

Most wanted baby father
Daps
Reppin
where they cross-over and clap boards
How was student life on campus and in general? I think @powmia is an alum as well.
Campus life was great. Coming from nearly an all white school, I wanted to be around my people so I chose a HBCU. Made plenty of friends on campus. I was a compsci major and I felt like my professors genuinely cared about my education. I do remember my time school both the football and basketball teams did well in the CIAA.

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Had the choice of going to WSSU or JCSU and I chose WRONG :laff:
Breh your post in here and the JCSU thread got me going back thinking about my little cousin at Livingstone. I went to her graduation and drove on the campus the first time. I was underwhelmed, then I wasn’t impressed with the graduation service at all

Last edited:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
WSSU will always hold a special place in my heart since I’m from the city.

When I was in HS, to work on my game. I used to go up to WSSU and run games with the college kids. One year I was even on an intramural team and them niccas had no idea I didn’t go to the school :mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol:

Also, it gave me the opportunity for play against some Wake Forest cats as they would come out to ball sometimes too

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Breh your post in here and the JCSU thread got me going back thinking about my little cousin at Livingstone. I went to her graduation and drove on my campus the first time. I was underwhelmed, then I wasn’t impressed with the graduation service at all

Man Livingstone was some shyt man.

So peep this…. Back in like 98, my childhood friends and some dudes from my city that went there got into a brawl. I remember it being so big… the first time I was aware of it myself was at A&T.

@BigAggieLean. not sure if you remember in the old cafe they had tv’s and would show like random clips and sometimes shyt from other schools.

I literally saw it there and was like “WTF???” With my other Winston brehs.

But moving the story forward the next year when I used to holla at this girl that went to LS. When we came up on their campus and the security saw my license. Them Niccas panicked, called for backup campus security and had us searched and searched our cars.

We had to even call shorty for her to confirm we coming to see her and she had to come to that little security point.

That she was crazy….. happened like 2 times:russ: