Rate this HBCU Day 78: Alcorn State University

How would you rate Alcorn State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 1 12.5%

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Just going to add some more notable alumni not pictured on the first page.

Tory Hargro - Director of Product Design at Facebook/Meta
always been a real good guy when we was on the yard, smart as a whip obviously.

n4g0KLGZ_400x400.jpg

Timon Durrett - actor was on the yard when I was out there. He played basketball for Alcorn too. I remember when he got his 1st break, he was a body double in a magazine for Scottie Pippen. :pachaha:

Alexander Oneal - singer songwriter, actually played football at Alcorn

OIP.fPK1c-oFtO0i5JBpWxAJDgHaEg

Michael Clarke Duncan - actor - former Basketball player at Alcorn

Last edited:

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Last edited:

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Alcorn State receives $50,000 grant and $1 million endowment gift from Bernard Osher Foundation

Alcorn State receives $50,000 grant and $1 million endowment gift from Bernard Osher Foundation
The Bernard Osher Foundation recently awarded Alcorn State University a $50,000 grant and $1,000,000 endowment gift to support the Osher Reentry Scholarship Program.
The funding will support reentry to the university for individuals between 25 – 50 years old and expand scholarship offerings from 10 to 20 per year.

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City

Alcorn rises in 3 U.S. News and World Report categories​

Alcorn State University continues to be ranked among the best universities in the region and nation by U.S. News and World Report. The University landed in the No. 6 spot for Best Value Schools and No. 22 for Top Public Schools, both under Regional Universities (South).

Additionally, Alcorn is ranked among the top 30 Historically Black Colleges and Universities, coming in at the 29th spot.
“Alcorn State University continues to compete at a high level in annual rankings because of our commitment to the holistic education of our students while ensuring that we offer affordable tuition,” said Dr. Tracy Cook, interim president. “Overall, Alcorn has increased in three categories, showcasing the institution’s progression.”
Other U.S. News and World Report rankings for Alcorn include No. 34 Top Performers Social Mobility and No. 54 Overall Rank – Regional Universities (South). Alcorn has jumped 24 spots in the social mobility category due to its work to graduate first-generation and low-income students who receive Pell Grants.
The outlet recently changed its rating methodology.
U.S. News evaluated nearly 1,500 U.S. four-year bachelor’s degree-granting institutions on as many as 19 measures for its 39th rankings edition. These statistics only pertain to measures reflecting academic quality and graduate outcomes – factors that are universally important to prospective students.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
I absolutely can't wait for this book to drop. Big shot out to Joy Reid for giving us another look into the love story of these Alcorn state alums that helped awaken America. :salute:

A biography of Medgar Evers and his wife, Myrlie, who made a lasting partnership during the early Civil Rights Movement in Mississippi before his murder in 1963.

MSNBC host Reid, author of The Man Who Sold America, weaves in details of the larger civil rights struggle through the intimate story of Evers

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
I absolutely can't wait for this book to drop. Big shot out to Joy Reid for giving us another look into the love story of these Alcorn state alums that helped awaken America. :salute:

Thanks for posting this :myman:

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
@MostReal
Thanks. Being connected to that family as an alum, what are your thoughts on some in modern era downplaying and dismissing the sacrifices and gains of the frontline Civil Rights activists?
I think it's pure ignorance. The freedom we have to fail and to succeed is the biggest gift people like Medgar and Myrlie gave our generation. We no longer have to be perfect, we get to try and fail like everyone else now. That's freedom in and of itself. We must not ever forget how these people paved the way for us, literally taking all the arrows, staring down the barrel of blazing guns and still fighting on. I thank them. I honor them. I appreciate Joy Reid for doing the same with her platform.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
I don't know how I didn't add this to this thread when it was 1st made, but since it's been bumped I must add that Alcorn has the only HBCU RV Park campgrounds and tailgating for the big game, it has adjacent bike trails to get around campus easily too. It's a unique experience usually reserved for Power 5 schools like Notre Dame, Auburn, and Alabama. I hope some of you all get to check it out one day.