Re-Up: My article on my site The Shape up.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
I read it all and then skimmed it.

:salute: first and foremost

There are a lot of punctuation errors and stylistically too many semicolons. Most of the punctuation errors, though, are small like not having a space after the period. example: "The simple answer is telling better stories.No matter how good an idea you have,the importance is in the way you share it ."

that was directly taken from the piece. There are two small punctuation errors. No space after the period between "stories" and "No" and then a space after the word "it" before the period.

It's not terrible, but there are several of these that make an astute reader think less of your piece.

Asking for fewer semicolons could be a personal preference :manny: but usually overuse of semicolons comes off as someone who is trying to make it look like they know how to write well, rather than someone who can actually write well (personal opinion of course :whoa:)

Content wise, I think you bring up some good points, but it is 100% anecdotal. I can believe that you have experience in this field - you mention your own comic book and you mention your own experiences in the industry - but there are no facts, no statistics, no outside voices. If I read this, I have to be fully reliant on your view, without any support. What that does to me is makes me think that there may be a black comic book writer elsewhere who has a completely different perspective. That writer could have great success and would write a completely different article. Without some supporting evidence about jobs in the industry, black writers in the industry vs. other races, etc. etc. I have no true barometer as to how much of this is "true" and how much of it is "solely one man's opinion". If you are going to go with the "this is my view" then dive deep into your view. Tell us all of your experience. If you are giving a summation of "the black comic book writer experience" then get a couple of quotes and statistics, interview a few people, paint a broader picture with more outside supporting evidence.

The Support black business paragraph seems to be thrown in there and not really interwoven well into the other paragraphs. I read the first paragraph (which was a good intro) and then the second was disjointed. I like your overall themes (from what I pulled): supporting one another in our endeavors WHILE expecting quality and results from others and ourselves, but I think with more time these themes could've been developed more thoroughly so that the article as a whole had more cohesion.

My overall advice: either focus more deeply on your own personal experience (you only barely touched on your journey briefly) OR do a complete op-ed on the industry as whole. This article seems underdeveloped in both categories, but I can tell by reading it that there is SOMETHING there that is important and worth reading. I would love to hear more about your personal journey as a black writer, AND I would love to hear more about the statistics and actual facts behind all black comic book writers. But this article doesn't touch on either with enough reverence to really stand out.

Hopefully none of that sounds "mean" or "hating" because I'm not at all. I think your website is off to a great start man. Keep it up

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
@Nicole0416 you did the editing on this article? :obama:cool.

@The Hierophant :salute: i've been an avid comicbook reader my whole life. My dad was actually part owner of a comic store. Read black written comics and comics about black characters as often as i can. What i'm waiting for is some indepedently owned black owned comic to blow up. This is the perfect era to one to make bank. We need everyone to get behind the most marketable one similiar to the way they did with black panther for it to happen. Like the article said, though it's hard to compete with companies that have 75 years of lore. But small properties blow up all the time. Look at the Witcher. Just need the right one to come along.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I read it all and then skimmed it.

:salute: first and foremost

There are a lot of punctuation errors and stylistically too many semicolons. Most of the punctuation errors, though, are small like not having a space after the period. example: "The simple answer is telling better stories.No matter how good an idea you have,the importance is in the way you share it ."

that was directly taken from the piece. There are two small punctuation errors. No space after the period between "stories" and "No" and then a space after the word "it" before the period.

It's not terrible, but there are several of these that make an astute reader think less of your piece.

Asking for fewer semicolons could be a personal preference :manny: but usually overuse of semicolons comes off as someone who is trying to make it look like they know how to write well, rather than someone who can actually write well (personal opinion of course :whoa:)

Content wise, I think you bring up some good points, but it is 100% anecdotal. I can believe that you have experience in this field - you mention your own comic book and you mention your own experiences in the industry - but there are no facts, no statistics, no outside voices. If I read this, I have to be fully reliant on your view, without any support. What that does to me is makes me think that there may be a black comic book writer elsewhere who has a completely different perspective. That writer could have great success and would write a completely different article. Without some supporting evidence about jobs in the industry, black writers in the industry vs. other races, etc. etc. I have no true barometer as to how much of this is "true" and how much of it is "solely one man's opinion". If you are going to go with the "this is my view" then dive deep into your view. Tell us all of your experience. If you are giving a summation of "the black comic book writer experience" then get a couple of quotes and statistics, interview a few people, paint a broader picture with more outside supporting evidence.

The Support black business paragraph seems to be thrown in there and not really interwoven well into the other paragraphs. I read the first paragraph (which was a good intro) and then the second was disjointed. I like your overall themes (from what I pulled): supporting one another in our endeavors WHILE expecting quality and results from others and ourselves, but I think with more time these themes could've been developed more thoroughly so that the article as a whole had more cohesion.

My overall advice: either focus more deeply on your own personal experience (you only barely touched on your journey briefly) OR do a complete op-ed on the industry as whole. This article seems underdeveloped in both categories, but I can tell by reading it that there is SOMETHING there that is important and worth reading. I would love to hear more about your personal journey as a black writer, AND I would love to hear more about the statistics and actual facts behind all black comic book writers. But this article doesn't touch on either with enough reverence to really stand out.

Hopefully none of that sounds "mean" or "hating" because I'm not at all. I think your website is off to a great start man. Keep it up
Appreciate the feed back. tbh this article is several years old(2013).I just posted it for the sake of content and have grown since. Will still take your critique into account.