Re-Up: My article on my site The Shape up.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
It's called THE SHAPE UP? I guess it excludes nikkas before the 90s

p-the-cosby-show-malcolm-jamal-warner.jpg

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
I liked the article, but it had a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" sort of feel to it. Also, you know how TheColi hates non-solution-oriented content (ex: Yvette, Tone). So, though the first step to writing is being able and accepting of critique, it would also be helpful to provide some recommended places to become a better writer. Or even, show how you responded to and handled @Nicole0416 editing this blog post.

Otherwise, good work, man. Hope to see more. :obama:

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I liked the article, but it had a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" sort of feel to it. Also, you know how TheColi hates non-solution-oriented content (ex: Yvette, Tone). So, though the first step to writing is being able and accepting of critique, it would also be helpful to provide some recommended places to become a better writer. Or even, show how you responded to and handled @Nicole0416 editing this blog post.

That's my next article. Thanks breh.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation

The article wasn't meant to be detailed, from my initial reading. He wanted to provide an overall consensus of his perspective as a general overview - I'm sure he has or will have other content in the works where he will expand on this for a more in depth analysis. My edit suggestions to him weren't so much content based bc he created what he wanted to say; they were more syntax, proofreading, grammar.. structure edits.

(and I don't think he's writing only for theColi - he has other bloggers and industry writers looking at his work)

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
I like this :ehh:

@Nicole0416 & @The Hierophant I didnt know y’all were writers:whoo:keep up the good work
used to do some creative writing stories coming up, work on people's papers at school, research things for them until I had real life adult responsibilities- now the majority of what I do is business research and writing on the job; and help out my friends/associates with their work stuff..(haven't written just for fun in years). Life comes at you fast :mjcry:

MMA

Superstar
Daps
I liked the article and the battle black creators, black business owners have to face in a very competitive environment with little information or guidance on how to attack a market. In your shoes, like you said to get real recognition for our people, you'd have to do something that is completely new that people can't deny you access to for the fear of building something without other hands in it. Look at everything that is considered the best in this world, it has major flaws in it - that's what we don't get. When working on a project start from the foundation then get to the roof, not get to the roof and then the foundation.

I'll be honest through my few years of doing various projects, I'm coming to the conclusion that we need to stop attempting to enter this rat race, it's exactly what's holding us back - we think too big instead of exclusive and directly targeting our core audience, everyone else will follow suite just like the influences we have in modern music, technology, language, food etc. Nicole said it best in another post of her that I've seen, where she talks about the things we are holding onto (technology is what I remember most but there was more) is a mere facade, when you really break it down - that technology or journey we are chasing brings actually very to little value to our lives. We need to back to the basics in everything from education, to how we spend our resources, to how we communicate with one another and especially with modern day technology. The foundation we are attempting to break into has multitude of layers with hard access from start to finish. We need to understand that the foundation we are attempting to conform to is not designed for us to conform to, we need to build a new standard of foundation on our own principals. Perfection is usually created in a midst of creativity without a narrow path without the end result in mind, channeling your core into your work without weighing heavy on the end result; with that said, when we do find those perfection it's also our downfall because we lack the fundamental for a business or structure of relations with each bypassing layer of foundation. A product can be perfect but without the right marketing behind it, people will not be drawn to it. In my future, hope to dwell and really fund a nonprofit black studies group.

Thank you for linking me Nicole. If you have anymore work or articles, link me Hiero. Let me also know how I can support your comic.

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Good stuff :ehh:. Reminds me I really should get back to writing, haven't done anything since coming back from vacation. My dad was big into black comics, I remember as a kid I had this framed Brotherman poster on my wall.

1626454-fist.jpg

SeveroDrgnfli

Ain't nobody tryin to get indicted.
Daps
Reppin
Always
You always drop intelligent posts and discuss things politely. You're a great example of how black intellectuals and creatives should move.

I'm a capitalist. What I mean is I believe business is the answer to my problems. I connect everything to business. Anyway, in response to your writing I have this to say:

Dear sir,

Mass appeal is overrated and a black business cannot have mass appeal without making concessions. Black people are a part of the largest marketing machine in the world and we don't have influence. That's the problem, we don't have influence over how we're marketed to the world. Let's explore that.

The people who profit from running the machine and the products the machine produces are not black. As you said, "why can't we have a piece of the pie?" Because it wasn't made for us. We're producing the ingredients in a pie we can't eat.

I think black creators can produce high quality innovative products and since it's not what's expected from us they're devalued. For example I played soccer. I played at a high level. People always told me I should go play basketball because I was black. They disregarded how hard I worked because of their expectations of me as black man. Those expectations were set by MSM(large marketing machine).

Even if we produce top shelf work we get slighted because of the narrow definition of what we're supposed to be doing is. How do you suggest black creatives producing high level products navigate this issue? @The Hierophant

I love this quote, "Some things make sense years after you think about them."

Breh keep writing, you've got an interesting perspective that you present fairly and intelligently.

Last edited: