Remember the scientist who said single women were happier than married women? He had to do the moon walk.

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Many books aren’t fact-checked, and we’re increasingly realizing they’re full of errors.

Women should be wary of marriage — because while married women say they’re happy, they’re lying. According to behavioral scientist Paul Dolan, promoting his recently released book Happy Every After, they’ll be much happier if they steer clear of marriage and children entirely.

“Married people are happier than other population subgroups, but only when their spouse is in the room when they’re asked how happy they are. When the spouse is not present: f***ing miserable,” Dolan said, citing the American Time Use Survey, a national survey available from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and used for academic research on how Americans live their lives.

The problem? That finding is the result of a grievous misunderstanding on Dolan’s part of how the American Time Use Survey works. The people conducting the survey didn’t ask married people how happy they were, shoo their spouses out of the room, and then ask again. Dolan had misinterpreted one of the categories in the survey, “spouse absent,” which refers to married people whose partner is no longer living in their household, as meaning the spouse stepped out of the room.

Oops.

The error was caught by Gray Kimbrough, an economist at American University’s School of Public Affairs, who uses the survey data — and realized that Dolan must have gotten it wrong. “I’ve done a lot with time-use data,” Kimbrough told me. “It’s a phone survey.” The survey didn’t even ask if a respondent’s spouse was in the room.

ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1134845219210481665%7Ctwgr%5E89a80ed9a73a742c5723c2d8a427e4326e60e0f0%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-908196763661081629.ampproject.net%2F2211302304002%2Fframe.html

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
""Married people are happier than other population subgroups, but only when their spouse is in the room when they’re asked how happy they are. When the spouse is not present: f***ing miserable,” Dolan said, citing the American Time Use Survey..."

"The people conducting the survey didn’t ask married people how happy they were, shoo their spouses out of the room, and then ask again. Dolan had misinterpreted one of the categories in the survey, “spouse absent,” which refers to married people whose partner is no longer living in their household, as meaning the spouse stepped out of the room."

:russ:

This dude is fukking retarded

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
""Married people are happier than other population subgroups, but only when their spouse is in the room when they’re asked how happy they are. When the spouse is not present: f***ing miserable,” Dolan said, citing the American Time Use Survey..."

"The people conducting the survey didn’t ask married people how happy they were, shoo their spouses out of the room, and then ask again. Dolan had misinterpreted one of the categories in the survey, “spouse absent,” which refers to married people whose partner is no longer living in their household, as meaning the spouse stepped out of the room."

:russ:

This dude is fukking retarded
He thought he had the answer.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Every one of my wife’s single friends want to be married. They don’t want to be single at all.

I never believed that study lol

Edit: Just on Saturday one of them said “I need a boo so I can go on the next vacation with y’all.”

We did a couples trip to Jamaica and Cancun in 2022 so they ready to join the gang 😮‍💨

Last edited:

Magic Mulatto

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow. . .
Daps
He said what?
0wX5OZY.gif

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Every one of my wife’s single friends want to be married. They don’t want to be single at all.

I never believed that study lol

Anyone who been around single women (who never been married) once they hit their 30s and into their 40s know that they want to get married or have a man in their life.

And it gets worse as they get older and older. My aunt is single cause her husband died and she is in her 60s. She even says that single women her age she knows be complaining that they don't have a man in their life.

The study was internet 🧢

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Anyone who been around single women (who never been married) once they hit their 30s and into their 40s know that they want to get married or have a man in their life.

And it gets worse as they get older and older. My aunt is single cause her husband died and she is in her 60s. She even says that single women her age she knows be complaining that they don't have a man in their life.

The study was internet 🧢
Yep. Her friends are mid 30s. One is 40 and single. They all want it.

Single woman in their 40s be throwing in the towel though and just letting younger dudes thot them out lol

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
A lot of social science research has been found to be extremely dodgy. Research the replicability crisis. shyt is eye opening. Be very weary of any grand claims and theories coming from them.
I do social science work for a large tech company. There are so many problems with social science research. The people that respond to surveys or do interviews are not representative of the rest of the population. Most people ignore survey and interview requests. We’re finding users saying one thing in surveys and interviews, but when we implement the changes the performance doesn’t increase (meaning what we found in the research wasn’t accurate).

It’s a big problem and has me questioning research like this in general. I don’t know what the solution is because you can’t force people to take surveys or do interviews.

Greed

Pro
Daps
This sort of thing mostly happens when someone is looking for information that confirms their own beliefs. He skimmed the report, saw something that seemed to agree with his views and challenges conventional wisdom and quickly began circulating false conclusions about it

Had he not been so anxious to do so, this kind of thing would’ve been easily spotted. He didn’t even double and triple check his information before publicizing it, which should be a huge hit to his credibility