Remember when De La and Tribe both dropped their albums Summer 96 and De La had the far better album

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Summer of 96. A Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul both drop their comeback albums with Beats, Rhymes, and Life and Stake Is High. Beats and Rhymes, although I felt had some joints on there, was considered a step down from the previous works. Whereas with Stakes Is High, De La came back harder then ever. Funny thing was what De La was speaking out against on Stakes Is High, I was definitely apart of that lifestyle (getting money in the streets, versace and cartier shade down). But I still fukked with this album heavy in real time. My favorite De La album outside the first one.

s-l1600.jpg

Tommy Gibbs

Superstar
Daps
As much as we love Dilla, his influence on Tribe was not what we wanted from them at the time.

Stakes is High, the Dilla track, was harder than anything on Beats Rhymes Life. Where as he gave Tribe the more laid back shyt
That's what they wanted. I used to blame producers too. I blamed Clark Kent for Rakim's solo debut, but those are the beats Rakim wanted haha. The love Movement was a decent album, but I hated it at the time.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Stakes is High, the Dilla track, was harder than anything on Beats Rhymes Life. Where as he gave Tribe the more laid back shyt

Interview excerpt , with Pos and Mase talking about how they conned Tip out of the beat for the title track

02/08/23

How did you spot the beat for what would become “Stakes is High”?

Maseo:
It was on one of his new tapes.

Posdnuos: Well, when it came to “Stakes is High,” we had already started working on the album, knew that was going to be the name. And we knew that we wanted a title track. So I looped up some record, I rhymed, and that was the start. But even then I was like, “No, I think this ain’t it.” And Dave was like, “Yeah, no, the rhyme is cool. The music is dope.” But we were like, “Nah, the music itself has to sound like the coming down of God, the Koran, Budda, everything.” It just had to sound like the end of days.

So, one day I’m at Q-Tip’s crib and he was like, “Yo, I just got a bunch of shyt from Dilla. You want to hear?” So he starts playing me every track. And every track that comes on is better than the last. But he will always be like, “Yo, what do you think of it?” I’m like, “Yeah, that’s dope.” He’s like, “Word yeah, I think this is something me and Phife could get on.” The next track would come on. “Yo, what do you think of this one?” And he’s looking at me. I’m like, “Dog, that’s crazy.” And he’s like, “Word yeah, I was thinking about maybe letting Ali see what he, blah, blah, blah.”

When “Stakes is High” came on. When them horns came I’m telling you, three seconds in I said, “I cannot tell Q-Tip this shyt is dope.” I started picking at it. He went to the next track, started playing it. I said, “That’s dope. Can I use your bathroom real quick?” I go in the bathroom, pull out my mobile phone, call Dave and was like, “Yo, it’s this fukking track Q-Tip just played for me from Jay Dee. It’s ‘Stakes is High.’ This is what we need.” He said, “Word, Merce.”

Sounds like you pulled off a heist. But also, that you were a trusted barometer to him.

Posdnuos:
Well, Q-Tip has always been an amazing judge of a beat’s character. But at the same time, he’ll be the one to say, “Yo Merce, I’m not sure what we’re doing man. You heard that new Premier record? That new Snoop, that new Group Home?” And I’ll be looking at him like, “Q-Tip, they’re the same ones looking at you like, ‘Yo, you hear this shyt Tribe doing?'” Like ni**a, don’t doubt yourself!

Maseo: I think we were definitely used as the barometer up until the point everybody started having success that we didn’t have. Once people begin to have a success level you don’t have, you’re no longer that. But I think we were a barometer for a long time because obviously we came first. We also made some decisions that kind of helped take our career into a certain place business-wise. And we continued to make records our own way.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Interview excerpt , with Pos and Mase talking about how they conned Tip out of the beat for the title track

02/08/23

How did you spot the beat for what would become “Stakes is High”?

Maseo:
It was on one of his new tapes.

Posdnuos: Well, when it came to “Stakes is High,” we had already started working on the album, knew that was going to be the name. And we knew that we wanted a title track. So I looped up some record, I rhymed, and that was the start. But even then I was like, “No, I think this ain’t it.” And Dave was like, “Yeah, no, the rhyme is cool. The music is dope.” But we were like, “Nah, the music itself has to sound like the coming down of God, the Koran, Budda, everything.” It just had to sound like the end of days.

So, one day I’m at Q-Tip’s crib and he was like, “Yo, I just got a bunch of shyt from Dilla. You want to hear?” So he starts playing me every track. And every track that comes on is better than the last. But he will always be like, “Yo, what do you think of it?” I’m like, “Yeah, that’s dope.” He’s like, “Word yeah, I think this is something me and Phife could get on.” The next track would come on. “Yo, what do you think of this one?” And he’s looking at me. I’m like, “Dog, that’s crazy.” And he’s like, “Word yeah, I was thinking about maybe letting Ali see what he, blah, blah, blah.”

When “Stakes is High” came on. When them horns came I’m telling you, three seconds in I said, “I cannot tell Q-Tip this shyt is dope.” I started picking at it. He went to the next track, started playing it. I said, “That’s dope. Can I use your bathroom real quick?” I go in the bathroom, pull out my mobile phone, call Dave and was like, “Yo, it’s this fukking track Q-Tip just played for me from Jay Dee. It’s ‘Stakes is High.’ This is what we need.” He said, “Word, Merce.”

Sounds like you pulled off a heist. But also, that you were a trusted barometer to him.

Posdnuos:
Well, Q-Tip has always been an amazing judge of a beat’s character. But at the same time, he’ll be the one to say, “Yo Merce, I’m not sure what we’re doing man. You heard that new Premier record? That new Snoop, that new Group Home?” And I’ll be looking at him like, “Q-Tip, they’re the same ones looking at you like, ‘Yo, you hear this shyt Tribe doing?'” Like ni**a, don’t doubt yourself!

Maseo: I think we were definitely used as the barometer up until the point everybody started having success that we didn’t have. Once people begin to have a success level you don’t have, you’re no longer that. But I think we were a barometer for a long time because obviously we came first. We also made some decisions that kind of helped take our career into a certain place business-wise. And we continued to make records our own way.

Dope.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
These albums were both great to me, in their own right. I also dug them as part of Dilla's canon, because it felt like a watershed moment in his come up.

Looking at the people he'd worked with before - I know Q-Tip put him on, but it felt like The Native Tongues was always going to be his planned destination, and producing the lead singles for both albums put him on the map. shyt is 'End of Act 1 in a biopic' worthy.

I remember being :wtf: that this new guy had popped out of nowhere and had heat with The Pharcyde, Mad Skillz and Busta in a really short window. Then Summer '96 came. By Summer '97 - he was doing songs with Janet Jackson and it all made sense. :wow: