Remember when De La and Tribe both dropped their albums Summer 96 and De La had the far better album

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
12 year old me expected Beats, Rhyme, & Life to all sound like 1nce Again:fire:/Stress Out:lupe::ahh:

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
So now De La didn't have fans and the Dave love is fake because you're little bubble wasn't De La fans, meanwhile in the real world...
you can throw a fit but its true

dela never got the same love or the same marketability/accountability

without blaming me, you already know that something that appears more "cool" and "popular" is gonna draw more fans... thats how everything in life works

there's people in this very thread admitting they never spun a DeLaSoul album ... but I guarantee they've heard Tribe

outside the realm of how I feel, I dont know why that reality is such a big stretch... since they were blackballed from plays on BET and never promoted on Tommy Boy

Dave's death has nothing to do with what I said either. Its just another reality that happens when anyone passes away. Remember when David Bowie died and people were all over his dikk. In the beginning and middle of his career... and really the 90s era, most general public thought he was a weirdo and fakkit. He deserved to be treated better but his style and art was too free to draw actual love. Same shyt with Frank Zappa, people are just now beginning to call him a god and give him credit... but before he died he wasnt getting credit for shyt

like I said, in the real world outside of a hiphop forum... if you ask the average person who is better Tribe or De La Soul. Most people are gonna vote Tribe off just being known. Ive always preferred DeLa so ive noticed because people look at me weird for saying it. That doesnt mean a hiphop board is gonna not know the difference, just the average person. I guarantee the average person cant name a member of DeLaSoul or know who Prince Paul even is. Maybe in our day and age but thats few and far in between. Ask people if they can name a Stetsasonic song or name the members of Ultramagnetic and they wont be able to answer... or better yet, when Kool Keith passes... everyone is gonna say how he was the blueprint for modern emcees and the yin to rakim's yang. But for the past 2 decades people havent supported Kool Keith for shyt.

It always tripped me out when Doom died and everyone ran to Madvillian without knowing Doom. To me, there's no way an average person can hear madvillain and immediately think they know whats happening on that album.. That shyt takes a long time to absorb if you've never listened to DOOM. But people pretended that was super digestible off their first listen after he passed. You dont hear people talk about Viktor Vaughn or Vaudeville Villain because the average person wasnt told to like it. People do the same shyt with Miles Davis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaudeville_Villain

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
you can throw a fit but its true

dela never got the same love or the same marketability/accountability

without blaming me, you already know that something that appears more "cool" and "popular" is gonna draw more fans... thats how everything in life works

there's people in this very thread admitting they never spun a DeLaSoul album ... but I guarantee they've heard Tribe

outside the realm of how I feel, I dont know why that reality is such a big stretch... since they were blackballed from plays on BET and never promoted on Tommy Boy

Dave's death has nothing to do with what I said either. Its just another reality that happens when anyone passes away. Remember when David Bowie died and people were all over his dikk. In the beginning and middle of his career... and really the 90s era, most general public thought he was a weirdo and fakkit. He deserved to be treated better but his style and art was too free to draw actual love. Same shyt with Frank Zappa, people are just now beginning to call him a god and give him credit... but before he died he wasnt getting credit for shyt

like I said, in the real world outside of a hiphop forum... if you ask the average person who is better Tribe or De La Soul. Most people are gonna vote Tribe off just being known. Ive always preferred DeLa so ive noticed because people look at me weird for saying it. That doesnt mean a hiphop board is gonna not know the difference, just the average person. I guarantee the average person cant name a member of DeLaSoul or know who Prince Paul even is. Maybe in our day and age but thats few and far in between. Ask people if they can name a Stetsasonic song or name the members of Ultramagnetic and they wont be able to answer... or better yet, when Kool Keith passes... everyone is gonna say how he was the blueprint for modern emcees and the yin to rakim's yang. But for the past 2 decades people havent supported Kool Keith for shyt.

It always tripped me out when Doom died and everyone ran to Madvillian without knowing Doom. To me, there's no way an average person can hear madvillain and immediately think they know whats happening on that album.. That shyt takes a long time to absorb if you've never listened to DOOM. But people pretended that was super digestible off their first listen after he passed. You dont hear people talk about Viktor Vaughn or Vaudeville Villain because the average person wasnt told to like it. People do the same shyt with Miles Davis

Vaudeville Villain - Wikipedia

Anything to spread the gospel of De La Soul. I’m seeing younger people showing love since their stuff went to streaming. There are people that stopped messing with De La after that daisy stuff, then there are people that are true De La heads. They literally got better with each album. Their top songs are awesome.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Summer '96 was amazing, as a kid. So many classics dropped for us back then.

Tribe is still my favorite group of all-time, but when Tip threw Consequence on BR&L, the group was never the same again. Phife didn't want him there, and the chemistry between him and Tip never got back to MM level again. So that summer, Stakes is High was in heavy rotation crazy. I loved Dilla's beats on BR&L, and I f*cked with a lot of the tracks on there, but the whole album just felt off. Meanwhile, De La felt like 4 albums in, they had reached their prime.

bigde09

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Didn’t Tribe fans shyt on Dilla for his work on their album? I thought his beats were dope.