Return of the Spider - Official UFC 183: Silva vs Diaz Thread [Jan. 31]

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Wonder what that is regarding, all this weight jumping/proposals is starting get :patrice:

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws

Seeing Hespectful Nick Diaz is kind of weird, he's conditioned us to fukkery from announcement to post fight press conference.

I expected him to flinch at Anderson or something, the Diaz camp actually likes BJ Penn and Nick was all over him at their stare downs.

I think Benson beat Cerrone but u gotta commend that dude, I dead ass believe him that he'd drive there and fight Silva despite being undersized by an easy 30 lbs

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
My money is on Diaz in this one. As much as I would like to see vintage Spider I just don't think that's going to happen. I'm expecting to see a Willie Mays on the Mets type performance from Anderson.

Medulla Oblongata

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
yoJC2AFEmml5AHG0P6.gif

I back:banderas:

ThaGlow

All Star
Daps
Seeing Hespectful Nick Diaz is kind of weird, he's conditioned us to fukkery from announcement to post fight press conference.

I expected him to flinch at Anderson or something, the Diaz camp actually likes BJ Penn and Nick was all over him at their stare downs.

I think Benson beat Cerrone but u gotta commend that dude, I dead ass believe him that he'd drive there and fight Silva despite being undersized by an easy 30 lbs

Diaz is confident as they come, but even he knows what time it is. You can't buy that kind of respect. :mjcry:

Big up to UFC for making the fight!

ThaGlow

All Star
Daps
My money is on Diaz in this one. As much as I would like to see vintage Spider I just don't think that's going to happen. I'm expecting to see a Willie Mays on the Mets type performance from Anderson.

Really? I'm thinking the opposite. Anderson's trying to bounce back while this is a pure money fight for Diaz. Diaz will come forward and get hurt badly. Despite Diaz' pace, he won't be able to outwork Anderson without taking a ton of punishment in the process of trying. Silva will be hitting harder.

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
Really? I'm thinking the opposite. Anderson's trying to bounce back while this is a pure money fight for Diaz. Diaz will come forward and get hurt badly. Despite Diaz' pace, he won't be able to outwork Anderson without taking a ton of punishment in the process of trying. Silva will be hitting harder.

In my heart I hope I'm wrong, but I'm always weary when guys come back from such traumatic injuries. Especially considering Anderson is almost 40. He looks good in training and sparring, but I'm anxious to see how that translates when its for real on Saturday night. There's not only the physical aspect, but it's hard to come back from something like that mentally as well. Nick Diaz is a perfect opponent for Anderson's comeback fight, but going by my gut instinct I don't think he wins.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
diaz was forced into this fight by dana white or at least convinced to take it, because GSP wouldn't come out of retirement to take it and for good reason

nick can take a lot of punishment, but Anderson is going to hurt him bad the level between them is too high, this ain't condit he about to fight even if Anderson is 40, diaz is too small, he's not going to able to take Anderson down at all, he doesn't have the power to knock Anderson out, and he's just not in the same class as anderson

NaiSim

HEAR ME ROAR!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
nj
Watching the workout, I can't help but notice Silva holding back somewhat on his left kicks.

Ha yeah I felt the same way watching it. I wonder if were just looking for that though.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
My picks predictions. Probably be long but :manny:

Fight pass premlims
Thiago Santos vs Andy Entz- Santos UD
Richard Moreira vs IIdemar Alcantara- Alcantara UD
Jimmy Hettis vs Diego Brandao- Hettis is a solid grappler but that throttling by Bermudez last fight exposed his lack of physicality for that division.. Brando is a powerful, explosive fighter but mentally folds for some reason. If he gases during the first like hes been doing, Hettis could steal this. I got Brandao by TKO RD1

FS1 Prelims

Rafael Natal vs Tom Watson- This is a throwback to the shytty days of the MW division. This fight will be terrible. Natal either gets KTFO or wins in boring fashion. Watson just sucks. I can't think of a single thing hes good at. Natal UD

Ian McCall vs Jon Lineker- This is probably the title eliminator for the 125lb belt. On paper, McCall should be the favorite. Hes faster, has technically sound striking, and is an excellent level changer. But hes not a smart fighter and easily gets drawn into a style of fight he should not be engaging in. Lineker is obviously the bigger and more powerful of the two. If he can impose his will on McCall and turn the fight into a brawl, I could see him winning. In fact, I think that will happen and Lineker takes it by UD. Hopefully he makes weight also

Ed Herman vs Derek Brunson- I think Brunson is a sleeper in the MW division. Good technical kickboxer with solid wrestling. He was real competitive vs Romero and basically sent Larkin to WW. Ed Herman is tough as balls but thats really it. Hes washed. Brunson by dominate UD

Miesha Tate vs Sarah Mcmann- Not looking forward to this fight. A lot of ppl are high on Mcmann but I don't see it. Her wrestling outside of TD's has not transition to MMA well. She was struggling with top position against Lauren Murphy where she was getting beat up from the bottom and basically lay n prayed for the win. No real guard passing, GnP, sub attempts, nothing. She also strugged against Bayzler too. And her striking is very basic even for Womens MMA and only serves as a mean for her TD. Tate is honestly a below average fighter at this point. She has not looked good at all since coming to UFC. She really didn't do anything against Rin Naki despite a huge size advantage and was losing it at certain points. The terrible Carrmouche fight that I thought she lost. Terrible, dumb Rousey fight. Her IQ is low. Her striking/wrestling is predicable and ugly. Only good aspect I could identify in her game is decent BJJ, but she has been too inconsistnet with that along with everything else. Because of this, I see McMann wrestle fukking her for the UD

Main Card

Jordan Mein vs Thiago Alves- Pitbull back again after another injury. He looked more patient and technical in his comeback vs Seth Baczynski, but lacked that dominate explosive power of old. Its esp glaring considering Baczynski got KO easily by Alan Joubin, which only highlights Alves fall. I think the injuries robbed him of what made him a beast, because the old Pitbull would demolish Mein the same way Brown wound up doing in their fight. I expect it to be competitive, but I think Mein, who is in his prime, will probably just be more sharper and quicker with his attacks. Mein TKO RD2

Thales Leites vs Tim Boestch- Leites is another unsung MW whose basically having a career rebirth under Paternerias at Nova Uniao. His striking is very crisp and powerful to go along with his elite BJJ. The way he plastered Carmont, who is no joke, was scary. I don't see what Boestch can do to to win. Ever since the Phillipou fight, hes look bad. He doesn't have the length to contend with Leites and his striking has always been awkward. Unless he gets a freak KO inside like he did against Okami and Taveres, I don't see this going well for him. Leites TKO RD 3

Al Iaquinta vs Joe Lauzon- FOTN right here.Iaquinta looked great against Ross Pearson last fight. His boxing was sharp and thats saying something against when fighting someone like Pearson. Hopefully his mental troubles are behind and he continues this momentum. Lauzon is an exciting fighter but his flaws are still as wide as ever. He was getting tagged more then a few times by Cheisa, who is by no mean known for his striking at all. And that Johnson fight :scust: He still tries to walk through everything in hopes of landing his own or dragging you to the ground for a sub. Hes been getting hit for a while and I think this is the fight his chin finally fails him. Iaquinta comes from an elite camp(longo/serra) and I think they will have a good gameplan for him. Iaquinta KO RD3

Kelvin Gasteleum vs Tyron Woodley- Intruiging fight. Gasteluem is probably the best TUF winner with serious title shot implications since Nelson. Woodley is a bizarre fighter. One fight he will look like a wrecking ball and the next he will look like a timid deer caught in headlights. He usually struggles against pressure fighters with strikes(Rory) or grappling(shields).He also has a tendency to get stuck on the cage and get wrecked. Gasteluem is the kind of fighter who could do that to him. Of course Woodley can be aggressive like he was against Condit/Koscheck and throw confident power strikes. And Gasteluem, as talented as he is, is still inexperienced. He was getting countered like crazy when he was launching an aggressive barrage on Story. You don't want to be on the wrong end of Woodley's punches. I will go with Gastelum because of his confidence, constant improvement, and momentum but wouldn't be surprised if Woodley KO'd him

Anderson Silva vs Nick Diaz- This fight is much closer then ppl think. Both guys coming off a long lay off for different reasons. We know Diaz style and what to expect. We don't know about Silva. If the rehab has left him a different fighter. His mentality heading into the fight. In his most recent fights, he has looked slower with the footwork/movement. I think thats why he was standing in front of his opponents like that more then usual, baiting them in his range for the counter. Hes 40 and the invincibility wears off eventually. It will be interesting to see the weigh ins. Diaz is a big ass WW. Silva is taller and has longer limbs, but I don't think he will be that much smaller then Silva. Also, will Silva throw leg kicks? Will he be confident? If Diaz even attempts to check a kick, how will that affect Silva's physique? What if Diaz taunts and bait his way into a boxing match where Silva will be at a disadvantage? I could easily see that happening, esp with an emotional guy like Silva. And if the fight hits the ground, Diaz is much better offensively with his guard/BJJ. With all that said, smart money is on silva. More power, versatilility, better accuracy. He will be methodical in his attack and catch Diaz, who only attacks coming straight forward. Unless Silva is a radically different fighter, an older, less dynamic version of him is still better then Diaz. Silva TKO RD 4

Medulla Oblongata

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nick Diaz apologizes, explains no-showing open workouts: 'I'm not trying to rush anything for anybody'
"I had to go back home for some things, so I didn't make it here as soon as I would have liked to," he said. "So I apologize to all the fans, especially the ones that were here to see the open workout. I didn't really put too much thought into it. I was just more focused on the fight. I've pulled the same card a couple of times. It's pretty inconsiderate of me. Again, I apologize to all the fans who were anticipating a show on Wednesday."

"I'm not trying to rush anything for anybody," Diaz said. "I got a deadline, I know what that is. That's come make what weight on Friday, come fight on Saturday. Do the best I can to put on a show for the fans, fight for the fans, come in at 100-percent for the fans. If I'm gonna do that to the best of my ability, I'm gonna do the best I can to do that. At this point in time, regardless of whatever obligations I have, for me I'm gonna have to do what I gotta do. I'm gonna say it again: I apologize to Dana White, to all the UFC, everything is prepared."

"When we got to the airport I was like, I think I'd just rather sleep in my own bed tonight," Diaz said. "I think [the UFC was] gonna try to jam me up with a bunch of things, they were gonna keep me up."

"People want to say, oh you're irresponsible," Diaz said. "Is it responsible for me to get an ass whooping, which is probably gonna happen regardless? Whether I win or I lose. Just like in every fight I've done. It's not like I don't anticipate the worst-case scenario out there like I always do and I always have."

"You want to give me something more to work with, maybe I can give you something more to work with as far as like a Wednesday," Diaz said. "I can get invested in that and planning and leading up to what I got to do. And I should have. I'm sorry I didn't make it happen and I would like to. I would."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/1/2...plains-no-showing-open-workouts-im-not-trying