[REVIEW]: Retroid Pocket 3 (Emulation Handheld Device)

Knuckles Red

<3<3<3
Daps
Hello All,

I just wanted to do a brief review of my Retroid Pocket 3 emulation handheld device that finally got to me a couple weeks ago...

JT5d7Pi.jpg

As you can see, I went with the 16 Bit color option. Quite frankly, its gorgeous. I love the way it blends in with the overall color scheme of my desk. I went with the 3GB version because I wanted as much power as possible and this was the highest configurable ram option offered.

1fslKAn.jpg

This thing is running Android 11, and it is very smooth. I like it. Its Android...I knew what I was getting myself into as I've had Android Phones in the past. As you can see the RetroidLauncher is front and center. It holds all of my games. It is very quick to open up and very easy to navigate through all of my different consoles. I like being able to get into and out of a game quickly. Long load times can really ruin the experience, but this default launcher is, again, very fast and efficient! As you can also see, I have a folder for Android games, I obviously didn't buy this device to play Android games, but its nice that I can and I feel like this adds to the overall value of this device. 💗

aFh0VlQ.jpg

Now on this thing, I'm running several different consoles. I have: Sega Saturn, PS1, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PSP, Nintendo DS, and Game Boy Advance. I haven't had a chance to play through all of the games that I've added to these different consoles, but pretty much everything has run smoothly except for Yoshi's Story on the N64...that game slowed down to the point where it wasn't very playable. Setting this thing up was pretty easy. It took me about five hours from beginning to end including all of the games that I added. I followed the directions of a popular Youtuber who does a great job of instructing you on how to set it up. However, while I have past experience with emulating on Android devices, I'm no expert...so maybe it wouldn't take as long to set this thing up for someone with more experience.

896UqmF.jpg

As I stated, pretty much all of the games that I've played though have run well. I'm currently obsessed with this game called Secret of Mana. Over all, I'm impressed with this thing. Its got good battery life, its super light weight which is good for long gaming sessions. Its got a 4.7 inch touch screen (16:9), 750x1334@60fps, and, from my understanding, is the same screen that was used for the iPhone 4 so its super crisp and clear. If I ever get tired of the small-ish screen I can just connect it to my monitor via USB-C and have a much more immersive gaming experience.

I think this device is great for someone like me--someone who is a casual gamer and who yearns for games from the past. A lot of these consoles were before my time, and so its cool to have the experience that so many others had way back then. Okay...there's not much else to say. I love this device and it was definitely worth the $144 that I paid for it. I was going to go with the AYN Odin...but that thing cost well over $300 which I knew was too much for me. So I would recommend this device for casual gamers who don't want to spend a lot of money for an emulation device.

Last edited:

Knuckles Red

<3<3<3
Daps

Retroid Pocket 3S Plus Handheld Could Be A More Powerful Edition Coming In 2023​

The Mediatek Dimensity 900 is a fast mid-range SoC with an integrated 5G modem. It includes two fast ARM Cortex-A78 cores at up to 2.4 GHz and six power efficient Cortex-A55 cores at up to 2 GHz (Octa-Core with Heterogeneous Multi-Processing).
Furthermore, the chip integrates a 4 core ARM Mali-G68 MC4 GPU, a Wi-fi 6 modem, a LPDDR4x memory controller, a AI processing unit and video de- and encoding. The Dimensity 900 is manufactured in the modern 6nm process and should be very power efficient.

source: Retroid Pocket 3S Plus Handheld Could Be A More Powerful Edition Coming In 2023

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I’ve never heard of this but is this like a cheaper steam deck

Knuckles Red

<3<3<3
Daps
I’ve never heard of this but is this like a cheaper steam deck
I paid $144 dollars for it for the highest configurable option. Yes, it is a lot cheaper than the steam deck, but the steam deck is a lot more powerful of a device. This device is only good for emulating games up to the PSP. Anything beyond that (Gamecube and beyond) isn't going to run well on this device. Regardless of the settings. Again, I'm just a very casual gamer who likes playing old school games. This device is great for someone like me!

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
I got one and am having issues find ps2 roms that work with this thing. Do any work?