RIP Filmstruck- Streaming Service to Shut Down

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
The FilmStruck indie, arthouse and classic film subscription-streaming service will shut down next month, Turner and Warner Bros. Digital Networks announced Friday.

The move appeared to be the latest by WarnerMedia, under AT&T’s ownership, to streamline operations by cutting niche-oriented business ventures. Two sources familiar with the decision said the plan to kill FilmStruck was made prior to AT&T’s closing the Time Warner deal; in any case, the strategy aligns with the new WarnerMedia blueprint to shift resources to mass-market entertainment services.

The FilmStruck business will cease U.S. and international operations on Nov. 29, 2018, and the service stopped accepting signups on Oct. 26. A Turner rep declined to comment on how many employees will be affected by the closure or provide info on how many employees work on FilmStruck.

In a statement, Turner and WB Digital Networks said, “We’re incredibly proud of the creativity and innovations produced by the talented and dedicated teams who worked on FilmStruck over the past two years. While FilmStruck has a very loyal fanbase, it remains largely a niche service. We plan to take key learnings from FilmStruck to help shape future business decisions in the direct-to-consumer space and redirect this investment back into our collective portfolios.”

WarnerMedia’s FilmStruck Subscription-Streaming Service to Shut Down

Brehs...this shyt hurts man:mjcry:

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
Where's the Criterion Collection going to end up? :lupe:

No clue. They said that they are working on another platform to put their material on. I'm hoping it's something like Fandor since it would be a good fit for that service.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
Damn, I used this heavy. Loved watching Criterion Collection movies on there. :mjcry:

One of my favorite recent watch on there is A Taxing Woman
MV5BMjA1NDk3MDE1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTY3ODkxMQ@@._V1_.jpg

You wouldn't think a film about a tax collector would be entertaining but it is. Juzo Itami is probably the next best Japanese Director after the gawd Kurosawa

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
I just cut mn
y cable 2 weeks ago too.

Criterion will find another home but im sad for all those warner and tcm classics too.

It also had best layout/UI ever

Most likely they'll probably go back to Hulu, or maybe they'll work out a deal with Fandor since that company specialize in indie/classic type of flicks. The shyt would be a wrap, but there's something about Filmstruck that felt bigger than life. Like a cool kids club type of thing. The logo, the sleek style of the website, and all of those features, especially the different themes every month. :mjcry:This one hurts brehs.

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
What’s a good alternative brehs?

I know I'm later AF getting back to this post but:

Fandor - If you like those ultra indie and hidden gems from back in the day, then this should be right up your alley. Most of the flicks are on some Art House shyt though, so thread lightly:francis:. Plus they have a deal for 5.99 which is a plus for Filmstruck refugees:ehh:

MUBI - This one is pretty okay. They have this 30 day movie thing, where they will upload a movie a day, while the later flick goes off the site. Think of it as a "limited time only" type of movie site. The flicks are pretty good on a Filmstruck level, but the 30 day thing is kinda trash because if you don't have enough time to watch a limited flick, whats the point :mindblown:? The price don't really suit well with me (8.99), but it works if you have plenty of time to catch all of the flicks.

Unsupported Region | SUNDANCE NOW -This is basically the Sundance channel without the tired reruns. Most of the flicks on the site are mainstream, but there are some flicks that are indie. It is what it is and cost 6.99, so if you like Sundance, you'll like this service.

Tribeca Shortlist -Eh:patrice:, it's okay. This service has a mixed bag of classics and some short lived cult type films. Its very limited but if you like the selection that they offer. It's 4.99:ld:

Watch Films -This one is alright if you are a big foreign flick type of person. I had it and was kinda iffy about it, since the service is bare bones. If you a big foregin flick head, then jump on this service since it's a month trial and they regular price is 4.99,

On another note:
https://news.avclub.com/every-filmmaker-you-love-is-rallying-to-save-filmstruck-1830465632

Every filmmaker you love is rallying to save FilmStruck

It began with a timid plea from Bill Hader. “I know there are bigger fish to fry right now in the world,” he told the IndieWire Honors ceremony earlier this month. “But in my little kingdom, if we could save FilmStruck, that would be really awesome.” FilmStuck, the lauded, one-of-a-kind streaming service from Turner Classic Movies, was canned by WarnerMedia last month so they could, ahem, “redirect this investment back into our collective portfolios.”

Well, they heard you, Bill. Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese apparently began the conversations with a petition, and yesterday a letter signed by some of Hollywood’s most esteemed filmmakers hit the internet, imploring Warner Bros Picture Group chairman Toby Emmerich to revive the subscription service. “The FilmStruck service was (IS) the best streaming service for fans of cinema of all kinds: classic studio movies, independent cinema, international treasures,” it reads. “Without it, the landscape for film fans and students of cinema is especially bleak. There’s a reason there was a huge outpouring from artists and fans over it being shuttered, they were doing the Movie God’s work.”

It continues: “In an era of huge corporate acquisitions of cinema by communication companies- in a business that may render billions of dollars off a medium like cinema, we believe this is a gesture that is needed- a minuscule show of goodwill towards the preservation and accessibility of a tradition and a rich history that would benefit the public.”

Filmstruck could be saved?:krs: