Royce Da 5'9 : Layers was terrible

BK The Great

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BK NY
there's some gems on here but the album gets flat over time. it's not terrible though. it needed more songs like Tabernacle.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I saw what he was trying to do with Tabernacle, and that is a really great track, but just didn't connect with me on the rest of the joints. I mean I'm in the boat of spitters should try to craft actual songs and have their bars mean something when pieced together over 3 minutes, but Royce is the embodiment of a guy you just want to spit as raw as fukk and on the hardest beats out.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I came in the official thread and was like :heh:

Coli was hyping it up like it was dope. Never got into Royce solo projects like that honestly...

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It kinda makes me mad that dude keeps releasing forgettable albums, as dude is such a beast on the mic.
Most of the best technical rappers can't put together good albums. Being a good lyricist doesn't have jack shyt to do with working with good executive producers that can guide them to making a well put together project. There are plenty of Jadakiss, Fabolous, Cassidy, Canibus type rappers can demolish a track but put together weird or mediocre albums.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
random post but SHAKE THIS is one of my favorite Royce tracks what a fukking classic track amazing

Last edited:

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
random post but SHAKE THIS is one of my favorite Royce tracks what a fukking classic track amazing
Yep..Part Of Me, On The Run and Murder are some of the dopest story telling tracks and all of these were on the same album, street hop was easily his last really good project.

layers isn't as bad as some of you are making out tho, tbf it was too long with 4 or 5 real weak tracks, but trim it down and it would still be like 14 songs and a lot better...always been royces problem now that I think about it

bordeaux

xxx
Daps
Reppin
God's Plan
Bar Exam 1 is a classic . Everything after that has been :patrice:
why cant he rap like this anymore, man. its almost frustrating. i almost felt vindicated when he admitted he'd fallen off a bit, phoning in some projects afterwards... i liked the mixtape he released before. but i only made it midway through the album at the gym. it just wasnt gym music so reserving judgment.