Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2 (OUT)

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I swear 'fore god if another RTJ album is announced and released before a proper Killer Mike solo...el-p might want to put a security detail on his family...RAP Music dropped in early 2012, so we're inching up pretty close to the 3rd year of Mike's prime lost to being in a group with this guy with his wack ass rap essence and his wack ass beats...it's a rap tragedy, truly...it'd be like Jordan wasting his athletic talents playing for the Barons, for entire multiple seasons :barons: ... I feel like Killer Mike and Jay Electronica are PERSONALLY trolling me, somehow they figured what would most irk the fukk outta me in the context of hip hop (maybe Jay came about this knowledge via the Akashic records one day in deep mediation) and decided to follow thru with it...they could at least have the common decency to put out acapella versions so we could get some dope remix albums outta mike's verses...instead we'll get the Meow the Jewels thiing that plays on that ongoing internet white joke about cats I don't fully understand...pure troll job

You didn't like "R.A.P. Music"?

Fred.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
I thought the rhymes AND production on Rap Music was brilliant (outside of the song featuring El-P), but otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly. Tired of cats gassing up these Run The Jewels records. These albums have been pedestrian as hell.
Love em or hate them nothing about this RTJ series has been pedestrian.. Sonically those beats are an assault on your brain and ear drums and Mike is rapping his ass off.. His flow arsenal is versatile as hell..

Dude is on some Luda, prime Jay-Z sh1t with the flow on these..

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
You didn't like "R.A.P. Music"?

Fred.

Naw I actually love RAP Music...Ghetto Gospel and Reagan have to be in my top 10 most played tracks since they came out...i didn't think the production on there was like some kind of perfect marriage of beats and mike's rhymes like some people gushing...but they were tolerable to decent, and with Mike peaking it averaged out to greatness...but just by the way the pitchfork crowd and whatever specific corner of rap nerdom loves el-p started fawning over it and creating this narrative like Mike was just some wayward failed southern rapper until he found his musical soulmate in El-P and his noisy ass ADD video game beats and finally started making music worth them caring about, i had a hunch where this was heading..

That he would take a full time 2 year (and counting) break from the peaks he reaced on RAP Music to form an official group where El-P's beats get cornier AND he gives up 50% of the mic time to this son of a whore, is worse than i would ever imagine

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Naw I actually love RAP Music...Ghetto Gospel and Reagan have to be in my top 10 most played tracks since they came out...i didn't think the production on there was like some kind of perfect marriage of beats and mike's rhymes like some people gushing...but they were tolerable to decent, and with Mike peaking it averaged out to greatness...but just by the way the pitchfork crowd and whatever specific corner of rap nerdom loves el-p started fawning over it and creating this narrative like Mike was just some wayward failed southern rapper until he found his musical soulmate in El-P and his noisy ass ADD video game beats and finally started making music worth them caring about, i had a hunch where this was heading..

That he would take a full time 2 year (and counting) break from the peaks he reaced on RAP Music to form an official group where El-P's beats get cornier AND he gives up 50% of the mic time to this son of a whore, is worse than i would ever imagine

Back in the day I was a big Bomb Squad fan so I love the beats, and Mike over them. "R.A.P. Music" reminds me of "Amerikkka's Most Wanted".

Not that El-p is the Bomb Squad :whoa: but he has the same kitchen sink approach. It's definitely not for everyone, and hell, I don't even like every El-p beat.

I look at "R.A.P." the same way I do "Pinata". It's not as if Mike or Gibbs needed that album in their discography, but it's a nice addition. And IMO some of their best songs are on those albums. "Don't Die" was probably my favorite song of 2012.

As far as the rest of your post, people are morons. I don't mean to generalize but yeah, the average RTJ fan probably thinks Killer Mike needs El-p, when Mike was fine for years on his own....and actually had more mainstream success than El-p ever has.

But it is what it is, people are stupid. I will give credit to Rolling Stone for basically dividing that article in two, and covering both of them and their back ground equally.

Fred.

DeuceCypherUno

knowledge God
Daps
Reppin
Straight out the fukkin' dungeons of rap
honestly, if it wasn't for El-P workin with Killer Mike, I would have still enjoyed Killer Mike's music but would have been oblivious to El-p's other contributions.

It was thanks to R.A.P music that i went back and checked out Cannibal Ox's album and Funcrusher Plus. I fukks with that Cannibal Ox album heavy but I'm still on the fence on Funcrusher.

With that being said, I do wanna hear a new Pledge tape.

Daps
Damn....this shyt is just

Baby-worship-lawd.gif

WeInHere

All Star
Supporter
Daps
How Kanye mentioned Jay had the Gucci bucket hat over his face.... thats how I was damn near this whole project. Well done

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
I hated El-P on the first album, he's much more bearable on this album which is why I give this album the edge over the first

But enough of these RTJ albums. We need a SOLO Killer Mike album on his politic shyt

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Never checked for El-P after Fantastic Damage because at that point in his career he was about 20% hit, 80% miss for me (excluding Cold Vein). But these two RTJ albums have finally got me to check out Cancer For Cure. shyt is nice :ehh: