Russia's Invasion of Ukraine (Official Thread)

Daps
Sh*t is building on both sides. NATO countries openly supporting Ukriane with significant amount of artillery/intel shows they know something big is in the works.

First comes the emotional support, then the Intel, then the artillery support, then the boots on ground.

This is close to being no longer about 'helping' Ukraine as much as it feels the world knows now is the time to eradicate Putin's regime.

Yep.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I feel like we’ve encountered a quasi chicken or egg type or question/scenario. Is NATO expansion the cause for this or is Putin’s behavior the cause for NATO’s continued existence? Given the situation prior to Maidan, I’m inclined to think that if NATO/Russia had come to an agreement on the neutrality of certain countries while guaranteeing their protection and sovereignty jointly then it would’ve prevented this situation.

Ukraine and Russia had good relations before Maidan, albeit within the backdrop of corrupt oligarchies and mutual crony capitalism but nonetheless relations were good. And as I’ve brought up, the neutrality of Finland/Sweden has been a success in maintaining a balanced position in the region. Looking at it objectively, this is a failure on both sides and more importantly a failure of the post Cold War transition in the world. Russia didn’t become any more democratic, the West still viewed Moscow as an enemy and expanded even though the USSR was dead and gone.

It feels like if things were handled differently on both sides this might’ve turned out much different. All we can hope for now is either a quick end to this. And if Putin does start thinking about nukes then we’ll need someone from within to stop this. Either way, it definitely took a set of events on both sides to set this fukk shyt in motion.

When talking about world powers, there's never just 1 side that causes these sorts of tragedies. You can always go back at one point in time and realize that if both (or more) sides weren't stubborn/prideful/whatever, a lot of lives could've been saved.

Having said all that. If reporting about people that have been around Putin is to be believed, it really does seems his COVID isolation fukked him mentally (or maybe he has other issues that got triggered during his long ass isolation). And if that's the case, I'm not sure anything would've prevented him from doing something incredibly stupid and crazy like this invasion.

Maybe it wouldn't have been Kiev or all of Ukraine, maybe it wouldn't have been in early 2022. But if dude is this unhinged, something was going to pop off eventually. I mean, you got people that have followed him for decades and are like "yo, this dude lost it".