San Antonio's apartment market isn't doing great. Austin's is slightly worse. “The apartment market is oversupplied”

Daps
Can someone please explain to me how the Apartment market can be oversupplied? I by not just lower the price to get more tenants
:gucci:

San Antonio's apartment market isn't doing great. Austin's is slightly worse.​

Ramzi Abou Ghalioum
Apartment Leasing JD5 5493

The national apartment market is currently oversaturated.
Jake Dean
Occupancy continues to wobble in an increasingly oversaturated San Antonio apartment market, mirroring trends across the nation.

MRI ApartmentData, which tracks multifamily trends across the Sun Belt, posted a slight increase in San Antonio's apartment occupancy rates between November and December 2023, a modest 0.2% uptick to a rate of 87.7%. Still, that rate pushes the market in favor of tenants over landlords.

"I think it would be reasonable to say that we're oversupplied, as all markets are right now. Every single one that we cover and even ones that we don't are behaving similarly because of the mountain of new construction that's come on," said MRI ApartmentData industry principal Bruce McClenny. Because of that, he said, absorption rates — not occupancy — are the main factor when considering the state of multifamily development.

NEW YEAR SALE
Over 50% Off Your Annual Membership
ACCESS AWARD-WINNING INSIGHTS & INTELLIGENCE
Subscribe Now

Keep up with the latest San Antonio headlines by signing up here for SABJ newsletters.

That's good news for San Antonio, which has posted absorption rates in the black across almost all apartment classes for the last two years.

Still, that oversupply has resulted in over half of Class A properties offering concessions to get more potential residents across the threshold, which happens when supply begins to overtake demand, McClenny said.

Properties competing with one another has also brought rental rates down consistently since summer 2022 — around the time interest rates began climbing. In San Antonio, rental rate growth saw a 1.4% decline over the past 12 months.

But the situation is a little more dire in neighboring Austin. The Texas capital posted an occupancy rate of 86.5% in December 2023, and rental rates have experienced a crushing 5.3% decline over the past year.

"Austin had 24.5% rent growth in 2021; in 2022 they had 3.9%, so in the last two years they spiked up by more than 28%," McClenny said. "Even still, coming down 5.3% is not what you would want to see if you were owning or managing apartments."

Still, both San Antonio and Austin are posting positive absorption rates — at least when it comes to newly minted Class A properties, which makes it a matter of time before occupancy rates perk back up.

"It's a balancing act, but if absorption is positive, occupancy will take care of itself over time," McClenny said.

But there's another issue, one that is on the horizon: The surfeit of rental units coming online has resulted in a lull in new multifamily permits, which could potentially reverse the trend and foment an overabundance of demand, driving prices back up. It's what McClenny refers to as a "whipsaw effect." The trouble is, if everyone anticipates a lull and tries to catch demand at the right time, it could neuter the effect completely.

"There will be a scramble because all developers are seeing this lull in permitting. But typically what happens is, if they're all thinking the same thing at the same time, it's not a lull. It's a peak," he said.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
As some of us told you, this YIMBY/NIMBY shyt was just a clever smokescreen.

Building Luxury Apartments and housing for people that can neither afford it nor want to live there.

And in places like NYC, all it does is price out the people who are already living in that area.

We will keep saying this, they will keep posting graphs that say otherwise and then eventually years from now people will be like "WTF?? How did this happen? Did people not see that this was an obvious end result?"

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As some of us told you, this YIMBY/NIMBY shyt was just a clever smokescreen.

Building Luxury Apartments and housing for people that can neither afford it nor want to live there.

And in places like NYC, all it does is price out the people who are already living in that area.

We will keep saying this, they will keep posting graphs that say otherwise and then eventually years from now people will be like "WTF?? How did this happen? Did people not see that this was an obvious end result?"

The more you build luxury apartments, eventually the existing apartments will become affordable units :troll:

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So wait for prices to drop.

That's fine until rates buck.

A lot of people are absolutely fine with living the rest of their lives in an apartment. Problem is apartments are really designed for you to do so.

And your going to run into the issue that's touched on in the article. People are going to rent apartments when they do a rent special or a low rate, then as the rates creep up over the years and they try to increase the rent by 50% or double. People arent going to stay. They'll find another apartment with lower rent or specials. Not because they're broke or cheap but because they don't want to own a home. Or rent a house.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Maybe I'm just slow, but what is this article going on about? Are they upset that they have more apartments than renters? Ok, so they have to compete for consumer business. Why does this article make it sound like a bad thing? I thought that was the whole point of capitalism? Competition, supply, demand, etc. This article makes it sound like apartment owners are upset that they can't gouge people. There should ALWAYS be more apartments, than renters. Because if supply and demand works like it should, then someone is going to fix the supply in order to fit the demand. So there is always going to be a period like the one mentioned in the article.

Eventually more people move to the city, or economic outlooks shift and we start the process over again.

JNew

Superstar
Daps
That's fine until rates buck.

A lot of people are absolutely fine with living the rest of their lives in an apartment. Problem is apartments are really designed for you to do so.

And your going to run into the issue that's touched on in the article. People are going to rent apartments when they do a rent special or a low rate, then as the rates creep up over the years and they try to increase the rent by 50% or double. People arent going to stay. They'll find another apartment with lower rent or specials. Not because they're broke or cheap but because they don't want to own a home. Or rent a house.

Around the world. Most people live in apartments their entire life.

jilla82

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
the internet
nobody in these threads ever talk about how local ordinances and taxes make it unprofitable building affordable housing

also some Americans still love big dumb houses...
and think their home is an investment

and then you add the fact currency is devaluing fast (inflation)

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Around the world. Most people live in apartments their entire life.
True. That used to be possible before now. There are one bedroom apartments that used to be $400 a month that are now $1100. Same old dirty dusty building built in 1978, no improvements and suddenly rent is more than 2-3 times one can make on minimum wage. I remember being in high school with my 20 hour a week job thinking, i can live here if i struggle. Now I'm looking at those rates as an adult with a full time career and salary like fukk that. And since I know what a dollar is worth id definitely never give them 1100 a month.