San Antonio's apartment market isn't doing great. Austin's is slightly worse. “The apartment market is oversupplied”

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Luxury Apartment Market is oversupplied

I'm looking at my old spots in ATX....couldn't live there on my old salary, but definitely would be Scrooge McDucking on my current salary

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Now just imagine if houses depraciated like cars:wow:

You could find you an old house for cheap,buy it within 10 years. Save alot of money in the proccess. Yes you would sell the house at a lesser value and take a loss. But maybe it would give you the savings,and freedom to get one of these nice apartments and spoil yourself. But what can people do when they are squeezed out of every penny. You have no freedom to live above your means. You have no freedom to build a savings and move outside the cities away from jobs. There would be an economic boom in these ghosttowns in the midwest if people had freedom to move,money to build from scratch,start businesses. But what do I know,biden is smarter than me:respect:

Daps
The same thing will happen here in DFW. There are new developments of boxy apartments every half mile in some parts of the cities. It makes no sense where many of these places are being built. My best friend thinks it’s a way for the wealthy to build up high volume properties to sell to the government to become projects. I’m starting to agree with her. Wages aren’t rising, living costs are rapidly increasing, when you can no longer afford to live these cheap box apartments will be your new public housing.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
True. That used to be possible before now. There are one bedroom apartments that used to be $400 a month that are now $1100. Same old dirty dusty building built in 1978, no improvements and suddenly rent is more than 2-3 times one can make on minimum wage. I remember being in high school with my 20 hour a week job thinking, i can live here if i struggle. Now I'm looking at those rates as an adult with a full time career and salary like fukk that. And since I know what a dollar is worth id definitely never give them 1100 a month.

I was in high school looking at my older siblings paying $500, $600 for an apartment counting down the days until I hit 18. This was the early 2000s, mid 2000s. By the time I graduated HS, 2008 happened :mjcry: Then by the time I graduated college in the 2010s the rent prices were disgusting. I didn't get on my feet until 2017ish. We got robbed. If rent prices were still $600, or even $700 in the 2010s, our generation would have been good but, these developers were beyond greedy.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was in high school looking at my older siblings paying $500, $600 for an apartment counting down the days until I hit 18. This was the early 2000s, mid 2000s. By the time I graduated HS, 2008 happened :mjcry: Then by the time I graduated college in the 2010s the rent prices were disgusting. I didn't get on my feet until 2017ish. We got robbed. If rent prices were still $600, or even $700 in the 2010s, our generation would have been good but, these developers were beyond greedy.
I remember paying 700 between 3 people for a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom. shyt i could've afforded that by my damn self. Was crazy cause one of my boys moved out so i turned it into a gym. Full squat rack and bench, Olympic set, pull up and dip tower. Had a bike in there and a TV with dvd player mounted on the wall, with cable....

My job moved me out of state.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
True. That used to be possible before now. There are one bedroom apartments that used to be $400 a month that are now $1100. Same old dirty dusty building built in 1978, no improvements and suddenly rent is more than 2-3 times one can make on minimum wage. I remember being in high school with my 20 hour a week job thinking, i can live here if i struggle. Now I'm looking at those rates as an adult with a full time career and salary like fukk that. And since I know what a dollar is worth id definitely never give them 1100 a month.

What do I know? :manny:

Clap the landlords for price gouging :demonic:

Amo Husserl

All Star
Daps
Apartments aren't being built as a step for Americans save for homeownership. Luxury at fixed rates pricing people out the area, of course issa vacuum.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What do I know? :manny:

Clap the landlords for price gouging :demonic:
There was a time when i thought that was a good idea. There are still some independent owners or slumlords out there. The other ones are large real estate magnets. Like in my city there's a few different companies that have like 20 different apartments complexes and they call them sister communities. So they'll be like "rent at Broadmoor apartments or check out Brookstone plaza or Richland park, Vista view, Oakmont, premier lakes...." So if someone fukks around and gets kicked out or evicted in one apartment place it's they can't just up and rent at another apartment complex because 3/5 are owned by the same fukking company. So if you miss rent (late) or get kicked out...you're fukked.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
There was a time when i thought that was a good idea. There are still some independent owners or slumlords out there. The other ones are large real estate magnets. Like in my city there's a few different companies that have like 20 different apartments complexes and they call them sister communities. So they'll be like "rent at Broadmoor apartments or check out Brookstone plaza or Richland park, Vista view, Oakmont, premier lakes...." So if someone fukks around and gets kicked out or evicted in one apartment place it's they can't just up and rent at another apartment complex because 3/5 are owned by the same fukking company. So if you miss rent (late) or get kicked out...you're fukked.

Yep, which is why homelessness is skyrocketing

Spence

Superstar
Daps
nobody in these threads ever talk about how local ordinances and taxes make it unprofitable building affordable housing

also some Americans still love big dumb houses...
and think their home is an investment

and then you add the fact currency is devaluing fast (inflation)

Please explain how real estate isn’t an investment that pays off long term? :jbhmm:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I remember paying 700 between 3 people for a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom. shyt i could've afforded that by my damn self. Was crazy cause one of my boys moved out so i turned it into a gym. Full squat rack and bench, Olympic set, pull up and dip tower. Had a bike in there and a TV with dvd player mounted on the wall, with cable....

My job moved me out of state.
In college my sophomore year 2005 me and my boy moved into an apartment in the hood and split rent, $500 per month ($250 each) for a 2 bedroom with a living room and full kitchen :pachaha:
Nothing but Madden, hoes, and weed in there all hours of the day :mjlol:

I could walk to campus but it was too dangerous at night so I took my car. Fun times

Last edited:

jilla82

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
the internet
Please explain how real estate isn’t an investment that pays off long term? :jbhmm:
the point is people want housing to be expensive...
so they can potentially profit

personally I dont see the house you live in as an investment...
I would bet when you factor in expenses and time spent most people arent making (much) money