Scarface stans: What makes Scarface a GOAT?

Menelik II

I wanna see receipts!
Daps
I had listened to some of scarface music and always thought it was ok. Cool but I wasn't intrigued to check out more of his or Geto Boys' discography, and was surprised when so many , rappers included, gave him GOAT stripes over the years.

Can you please show me what I'm missing with this dude? Is this a case of 'you had to be there' to get it? Or he was a 'game changer' or more iconic?

Either way please educate :jbhmm:

@stomachlines
@Ashtrey
@king-poetic
@Yehuda
@razassin
@inspect-her-deck.28725
@the-ruler-09
@spliz
@904
@thisworldaintright

@reasonablematic
@da-rhythm-rebel
@illmaticdelta

@bugsmoran

10:31

Superstar
Daps
I had listened to some of scarface music and always thought it was ok. Cool but I wasn't intrigued to check out more of his or Geto Boys' discography, and was surprised when so many , rappers included, gave him GOAT stripes over the years.

Can you please show me what I'm missing with this dude? Is this a case of 'you had to be there' to get it? Or he was a 'game changer' or more iconic?

Either way please educate :jbhmm:

@stomachlines
@Ashtrey
@king-poetic
@Yehuda
@razassin
@inspect-her-deck.28725
@the-ruler-09
@spliz
@904
@thisworldaintright

@reasonablematic
@da-rhythm-rebel
@illmaticdelta

@bugsmoran

His story telling, voice, and content

You're also revisiting and analyzing him as an artist in hindsight so with that ^ context know he came out the gate in a time period where Hip Hop was just approaching its golden era of lyrical prowess and was bringing it.

He also has a very strong discography. I recently moved him into my GOAT slot over Ice Cube because he continues to deliver great projects until this day.

ReasonableMatic

Daps
His writing ability is one of the rawest in HipHop PERIOD.
Straight to the soul, no antics.
He has 3 undeniable classics.

The Diary
The Fix
Grip it! (Geto Boys)

Last Of A Dying Breed is a dope ass album too.

Imo it's almost impossible to like Pac and not like Face.
They're similar in heartfelt song writing ability.

Salute to FaceMob :salute:

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Scarface to me represents the streets, the hood, that life, and also the mentality. So it's relatable to a lot of people who been that way, he speaks about it deeply. He also has that introspective ish.

He has voice, presence, emotion and he has a certain wittiness that is unexpected from some rappers of his calibre, he has that something extra, which I'll cite examples of later.

He has an intensity and aggression also at times which is powerful and some really dope storytelling.,

When I want some hard shyt, some street shyt Face is 1 of the people I'll put on. The essence of his music in a sense is someone that stayed real and true, has integrity and stayed real with the streets, never sold out or sold out his people, being the hardest and not to be fukked with. He also has a subtle element of being a dope ass MC too. And subtle (sometimes not so subtle) political and social content. I'm gonna elaborate a lot more, feel free to ask questions also.

u mad son?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got mad love for Scarface but I never understood people putting him up there in the top 10 or whatever, I may need to revisit his discog

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
His story telling, voice, and content

You're also revisiting and analyzing him as an artist in hindsight so with that ^ context know he came out the gate in a time period where Hip Hop was just approaching its golden era of lyrical prowess and was bringing it.

He also has a very strong discography. I recently moved him into my GOAT slot over Ice Cube because he continues to deliver great projects until this day.

/thread and add to that the production on his albums is always top notch.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He also has genuine mental issues, and was suicidal and depressed at points in his life, he bares his soul and has a certain craziness/psychotic aspect to his lyrics/delivery/content at times. He drops game in his music too, he drops knowledge for the streets about certain shyt that is so real if you been through it or know you deeply relate. All of these aspects make him an interesting listen in many ways..

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
His discography also crazy when you look at it in full, Geto Boys to now.

A few of my personal favourite Face/Geto Boys songs...

Epic story about his life, sums him up in sum ways I think, he was the dude that weren't afraid to be real, he could show vulnerability and realness even with having the hard image...

This beat, the way he drops on it, is just some ill/fly shyt to me...

Completely different side with a playa type track, this video/song cracks me up, the humour and game is some real shyt, he has that numerous times throughout his career...

10:31

Superstar
Daps
His discography also crazy when you look at it in full, Geto Boys to now.

A few of my personal favourite Face/Geto Boys songs...

Epic story about his life, sums him up in sum ways I think, he was the dude that weren't afraid to be real, he could show vulnerability and realness even with having the hard image...

This beat, the way he drops on it, is just some ill/fly shyt to me...

Completely different side with a playa type track, this video/song cracks me up, the humour and game is some real shyt, he has that numerous times throughout his career...

He never really fell off

Times changed and his audience grew up