Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron: The official discussion thread

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh you're a good poster and we typically see eye to eye so i dunno...if you think Thank me Later, Finally Famous and Rolling Papers are better albums than oxymoron, you have a shyt opinion. Simply.

Oddly enough I like this better than GKMC even if it isnt better by consensus. GKMC lost its replay value fairly quickly for ME. Listening to it for me is like reading a book for the second time. Maybe because it was so exposed to the mainstream that it got played out but I dunno. I vividly remember being on the subway ride home listening to it the day it leaked for the first time. Geeked the fukk out, I was mesmerized by Money Trees and bytch Dont Kill my Vibe and thought Maad City was dope. The rest I was underwhelmed by. A nikka heard Westside right on time, Cartoons and Cereal, The Recipe Swimming Pools and thought Kendrick was gonna do it. I expected a 10/10 album and didnt get it.

Money Trees I played out. Real and Good Kid grew on me and are actually the only songs I still play along with Collect Calls. Sing about me/dying of thirst is an amazing song but its not something I'm typically in the mood to listen to...its drowsy.

Track 1 is okay. Track 4 is a dope concept but the beat is shyt as with many other songs. Poetic Justice is :yawn:. Backseat Freestyle I actually fukk with hard. Compton was disappointing...I expected a Why You Hate the Game, Lord Knows level just blaze track but didnt get it. There were too many skits too but they help the story so whatever. At least make them sep. track numbers so nikkas can skip them.

People act like Good Kid Maad City is some groundbreaking shyt but its so far from that. It's a solid 8/10 album and Section 80 at its high points is better. Spiteful Chant (just so happens SBQ murdered Ken on it) is better than any song on GKMC. ADHD too. It's not better than the Documentary if were keeping it really real.

Overall...here are the marquee major label debuts to come out recently

Dreams and Nightmares
Long Live Asap
Good Kid maad City

Big Sean's trash
Thank me Later
Rolling Papers
Man on the Moon
Stoned Immaculate

Based on a TRU story

Maybe i'm missing a couple more...but the bolded are the only ones on the same level quality wise. And GKMC is the only one better.

Even though I'm not crazy about the album, it's not touching TML which is my main disagreement. Better than Sean's and Wiz's albums can't really argue with that. :ehh:

It's just Oxy isn't really shytting on any of these albums. It's good, but that's it. Q stuck to his style but this album won't get him new fans, which for a debut....is kinda the point. And it certainly isn't touching anything you bolded

Don't got nothing for your GKMC review though. :unsure: It's overpraised yes, but damn if it doesn't deserve most of it.

CDoty

i aint sh!t
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
nope, he did.

and i wasn't even anticipating it, but decided to check it out and was surprised.. I fukk with Q more overall as an artist and rapper but in terms of both projects.. Trap Lord is more cohesive and better musically. it has a theme musically and isn't all over the place and didn't need re-sequencing.
100% true

CDoty

i aint sh!t
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Thank Me Later as an album is better than Oxymoron. So is Sideline Story. Schoolboy Q just isn't that unique as an MC, personality, or lyricist, and some of those beats were HELLA questionable....
:stopitslime::pacspit::camby:

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Even though I'm not crazy about the album, it's not touching TML which is my main disagreement. Better than Sean's and Wiz's albums can't really argue with that. :ehh:

It's just Oxy isn't really shytting on any of these albums. It's good, but that's it. Q stuck to his style but this album won't get him new fans, which for a debut....is kinda the point. And it certainly isn't touching anything you bolded

Don't got nothing for your GKMC review though. :unsure: It's overpraised yes, but damn if it doesn't deserve most of it.
Thank me later is the only one I can understand...but that shyt was overhyped and let me down too. Being from Toronto all you hearing about is drake and so far gone and then he drops that Alternative trash. Unforgettable to me is the only memorable song on that album. But yea...the Sean and Wiz albums are insulting lol

With respect to GKMC...thats why I said it's better even though I dont like it more.

I personally feel that album's reviews is just a result of the herd mentality and hype. For instance one of my friends swore up and down the album was a classic...but here he is telling me days ago that Oxymoron is dope as shyt, better than Kendrick's album and he gives it an 8.5/10.

People were caught up in the hype. I cant see GKMC getting play 3 years from now let alone 10 like Get Rich or Die Tryin, or 20 like the Chronic...true classic albums.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Hes going to do more than Ferg numbers, easily. Ferg had NO prior material aside from a handful of songs and as of like 4 months ago sold like 60k, numbers havent been updated in awhile. Q has 4 projects, 2 of which hes released thats hes garnered a nice fanbase with and is already at 35k with preorders. I see him doing at least 80-90k first week.

Yea his numbers going to surprise ppl. Isaiah Rashad literally came out of NOWHERE, no single, radio play or nothing. Hell I can't name one recognizable song of his and he just did 8,000.

Q got 35k itunes preorders? :leon: Yea, he's about to be eating. They're saying that's double the preorders GKMC got.

Q might crack 100k first week, which would really be impressive

NotaPAWG

Banned
Daps
Yea his numbers going to surprise ppl. Isaiah Rashad literally came out of NOWHERE, no single, radio play or nothing. Hell I can't name one recognizable song of his and he just did 8,000.

Q got 35k itunes preorders? :leon: Yea, he's about to be eating. They're saying that's double the preorders GKMC got.

Q might crack 100k first week, which would really be impressive

Yep.

Q isn't the kinda artist whos going to have all sorts of hit singles or songs that chart well, and although I think the album was kinda disappointing and I have my complaints about it, hes still going to do well.

Singles are obviously a plus to gaining exposure and garnering a larger fanbase, but Q has two fanbases.. He has black hippy and west coast fanbase that seems like they really support their artist and he garnered a fanbase through Rocky due to their collabs. Q's good, I see him doing a little less than Wale numbers.. around the 300k range in total.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Yep.

Q isn't the kinda artist whos going to have all sorts of hit singles or songs that chart well, and although I think the album was kinda disappointing and I have my complaints about it, hes still going to do well.

Singles are obviously a plus to gaining exposure and garnering a larger fanbase, but Q has two fanbases.. He has black hippy and west coast fanbase that seems like they really support their artist and he garnered a fanbase through Rocky due to their collabs. Q's good, I see him doing a little less than Wale numbers.. around the 300k range in total.

:patrice: Wale did 150k first week and is probably alot closer to 400k then he is to 300k. Idk if Q can do that especially w/o a hit single which Wale had

NotaPAWG

Banned
Daps
:patrice: Wale did 150k first week and is probably alot closer to 400k then he is to 300k. Idk if Q can do that especially w/o a hit single which Wale had

Yeah, maybe that's overdoing it lol lets just say, I see him cracking 250k