Schuye LaRue: How mental illness derailed future WNBA star

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
It's a plague in our community, but our people don't wanna talk about it out of shame and fear of rejection

Schizophrenia is different. Anyone who sees a a real schizophrenic would never do that. Those be people are actually crazy and delusional.

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
very sad, she is way too sick to be in jail. people that talk to birds on camera arent fit to be held responsible like that
Honestly, it may be the best place for her. The “crime” was BS, but it gives her a steady routine and place to stay. And, hopefully, they’ll get her treatment. Knowing how the justice system is, its a hope and a prayer but it’s better than her being on the streets.

SoulController

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Almighty Garden State
Honestly, it may be the best place for her. The “crime” was BS, but it gives her a steady routine and place to stay. And, hopefully, they’ll get her treatment. Knowing how the justice system is, its a hope and a prayer but it’s better than her being on the streets.

she could settle down, but she could also snap one day and hurt herself or others. that park probably kept her calm, now shes going to be told what to do and what to take. scared for her

Copy Ninja

Superstar
Daps
I think she may have asked me for money when I was in lunch break. I remember thinking "damn that homeless chick is tall":ohhh:

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
The worst of it was the cac justice system deeming her fit to stand trial when its obvious she needs a forced medical intervention :smh:

Her family ain't shyt either for forcing her out there like that. I know it's different in the States, but there's gotta be group homes or mental health hospitals that they could've put her in to sort out her issues with her meds. I know a lot of the medication they give makes patients makes them feel extremely tired and high-strung, so that's why so many people are so resistant to medicine. My dad was in and out of the hospital for 3 years before we got him on the right meds, and now he's stable.

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Her family ain't shyt either for forcing her out there like that. I know it's different in the States, but there's gotta be group homes or mental health hospitals that they could've put her in to sort out her issues with her meds. I know a lot of the medication they give makes patients makes them feel extremely tired and high-strung, so that's why so many people are so resistant to medicine. My dad was in and out of the hospital for 3 years before we got him on the right meds, and now he's stable.

See with schizophrenia it's different man, I have a family member who don't even want help, this person is very fortunate that my family still provides for them because although it's a mental illness and family should be there, you don't know the pain, stress and problems it brings. Her moms was about to be evicted due to the problems she was having with neighbors. It's a really fukked disease, they usually deny they are even sick, let alone accept help...

and it depends where you live, the help that's offered but if that person doesn't want help..what can you do..

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
See with schizophrenia it's different man, I have a family member who don't even want help, this person is very fortunate that my family still provides for them because although it's a mental illness and family should be there, you don't know the pain, stress and problems it brings. Her moms was about to be evicted due to the problems she was having with neighbors. It's a really fukked disease, they usually deny they are even sick, let alone accept help...

and it depends where you live, the help that's offered but if that person doesn't want help..what can you do..

My dad also has schizophrenia. I moved back home to take care of him.

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My dad also has schizophrenia. I moved back home to take care of him.

god bless you fam, I hope your father accepts the help and is willing to continue treatment....but simply said your situation aint like others dude. I understand how her mother gave up. Ive cared for a family member for over 6 years...its literally living like at any moment a ticking time bomb can go off and no one knows whats gonna happen...

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
god bless you fam, I hope your father accepts the help and is willing to continue treatment....but simply said your situation aint like others dude. I understand how her mother gave up. Ive cared for a family member for over 6 years...its literally living like at any moment a ticking time bomb can go off and no one knows whats gonna happen...

It really depends on the person, and where you are. If we weren't in Canada, then I understand how difficult it would be. But his meds are paid for here. His disability check covers food, shelter and medical travel. He was in hospital 6 times in the last 3 years, and we didn't have to pay anything. But it is incredibly hard to take care of someone with schizophrenia. He went missing so many times, he's physically threatened family members with knives, he's nearly overdosed...it was incredibly hard to see him like that and know that no amount of care could help. Clozaril is a godsend though. We were about to send him to a mental health hospital for good, until the hospital we were about to send him to recommended to put him on clorazil. He's been stable for the last 8 months now. Sometimes, all it takes is the right medicine.