Scranton Mayor Wants To Pay Every City Worker Minimum Wage

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
Yeah that actually shocked me...I think the first wage cuts should always be those from the legislature. Kind of like the reverse to a captain and a sinking cruise ship

nah trip, you need to listen to econ right here....

Exactly. The elephant in the room everyone is ignoring, is that a lot of these state/local governments had horrible HORRIBLE interest rate arrangements and got killed by the financial collapse. I remember reading an article about Indianapolis the week of the super bowl. Folks were mad about the cost of hosting the super bowl. Turns out the reason the were in financial straits is because they made poor financial decisions on the market.

Any type of complicated math/economics situation gets thrown in the bushes by our media and our politicians

I'd love to see just one report, just one, on one single state from 1999-2011, where each local government is graded upon their financial preparation and fiscal responsibility.

And lets not forget when these politicians pretty much give away money to friends and cronies within municipalities for projects that serve a very small select few. Or just piss pour decisions that waste millions of tax payer money. Look at NYC with the City Time scam. Is pension padding and guys retiring early on a disability that really isn't there a problem, yes it is and something needs to be done about it. But to act like it's these guys bankrupting the system is ridiculous and creating a scapegoat. It's easy to create backlash against the public sector and unions because their wages and benefits have remained strong while the private sector has suffered. I don't see how people don't see whats going on though, corporate America is basically training the public to accept less money and benefits and a lower quality of life. They want us to accept less like it is the norm an in make unions and the public sector the bad guy because they have maintained a decent quality of life. In times like this everyone has to tighten up their belts and accept less but to act like Unions are the ones bankrupting this country is ridiculous and insulting.

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
And lets not forget when these politicians pretty much give away money to friends and cronies within municipalities for projects that serve a very small select few. Or just piss pour decisions that waste millions of tax payer money. Look at NYC with the City Time scam. Is pension padding and guys retiring early on a disability that really isn't there a problem, yes it is and something needs to be done about it. But to act like it's these guys bankrupting the system is ridiculous and creating a scapegoat. It's easy to create backlash against the public sector and unions because their wages and benefits have remained strong while the private sector has suffered. I don't see how people don't see whats going on though, corporate America is basically training the public to accept less money and benefits and a lower quality of life. They want us to accept less like it is the norm an in make unions and the public sector the bad guy because they have maintained a decent quality of life. In times like this everyone has to tighten up their belts and accept less but to act like Unions are the ones bankrupting this country is ridiculous and insulting.

Hey dumb dumb most government union branches don't make a fukking profit and cannot be held in the same standard as corporations that must make a profit to stay in business and keep a good stock price.

Government unions maintain higher salaries because they don't have the market to check them when they do a bad job or over pay.

They just ramp up the taxes. They usually get paid above market value and at some point it's unsustainable stop trying to make excuses reality is reality accept it.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Benefits & Salary Overview | NYPDRECRUIT.COM

No, they don't. Do the research man. :stopitslime:

And why the fukk should a constable get paid $15 an hour, while a banker gets 500K per year?

This is what he said breh I'm not trying to be a cop :yeshrug:

That slider thing said 90,000 after 5.5 and that was in 2010...who knows what they make know plus overtime.

Either way it's still not enough for me to risk my life to be NYPD. Dudes won't think twice about shooting a cop in the face in 2012.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fuk that it's overtime. If dude works his ass of then he deserves to be paid. 90k a year for a cop IMHO is about right considering the crap they deal with and that whole "loss of life" factor in what they do.

NOw as to the validity of all those OT hours, that might need to be investigated, but if dude is making it because he's working HARDER then fuk it they should hire a new person to pay at the regular rate.

:beli:

220 thousand?

cmon i absolutely agree with the puttin ur life on the line part. but if this guys makin 220 k his pensions gonna be what 6 figures?

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:ehh:

ight i hear that

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Hey dumb dumb most government union branches don't make a fukking profit and cannot be held in the same standard as corporations that must make a profit to stay in business and keep a good stock price.

Government unions maintain higher salaries because they don't have the market to check them when they do a bad job or over pay.

They just ramp up the taxes. They usually get paid above market value and at some point it's unsustainable stop trying to make excuses reality is reality accept it.

nothing you said was a direct counter argument to that man's point of view

still waiting on you to talk about the poor money management outside of pension contracts and wages....u won't though....

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Pensions have fukked this country over, but you also have to factor in the ever increasing and IMO the unnecessary gap between blue and white collar as well. Justifying it with corporate profit and greed doesn't do it for me.

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
please there is no education needed to be a cop, reg ol constables should be making like 15 a hour imo

loss of life? there are hundreds more jobs dangerous than being a cop or a firefighter, like owning a gas station, working in a convenience store, mines, army etc.

i'm just giving credit where it's due. You're a fool if you think being a cop is a cake walk. Each and every cop I know has been assaulted in some way shape or form, short of being a club bouncer please tell me another profession that runs that risk AND is paid shyt.

220k is a lot of money but if it is EARNED then it's earned. The number is use for sensationalism, but it's not like the dude is working 40 hours a week and makign CEO money, he's out there working for that shyt why shouldn't he be compensated.

Short of him gaming the system i'm ok with this, from the cops point at least. I blame the city or government for not hiring more officers. If someone is putting in that much OT then there's a problem and that problem doesn't stem from the cop.

Trip

slippery slope
Daps
Reppin
FL
i'm just giving credit where it's due. You're a fool if you think being a cop is a cake walk. Each and every cop I know has been assaulted in some way shape or form, short of being a club bouncer please tell me another profession that runs that risk AND is paid shyt.

220k is a lot of money but if it is EARNED then it's earned. The number is use for sensationalism, but it's not like the dude is working 40 hours a week and makign CEO money, he's out there working for that shyt why shouldn't he be compensated.

Short of him gaming the system i'm ok with this, from the cops point at least. I blame the city or government for not hiring more officers. If someone is putting in that much OT then there's a problem and that problem doesn't stem from the cop.

OT stems from seniority in the police force....cops that are on their last year before retirement generally hog the OT hours to buff up their pensions....has nothing to do with lack of police force.

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
OT stems from seniority in the police force....cops that are on their last year before retirement generally hog the OT hours to buff up their pensions....has nothing to do with lack of police force.

well from what i've read they've requested the hiring of more police officers and were denied. You can't work OT (to that degree) if there are regular guys not making their 40. I can see where seniors get to pick the hours first, in most places seniority matters to a degree, the issue is not WHO is working the hours but the shear volume of OT hours available. that's Time and half, possibly double time, who knows.

The pensions are BS IMHO, i'm not against them just against how they work and how much they get for 25 years.

Sire366

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Phila
My whole family's from Scranton.... This will never happen, unions run that city as does some of the mob members that still remain, no crime problems cause a lot of people are eating off of the DeNaples and others..... Really corrupt is Lackawanna county.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk