Seriously...how come Marvin Gaye doesn't have his own biographical movie?

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
Jesse L. Martin starred in one that was not completed.

"In mid-2013, it was announced that filming on "Sexual Healing" had been suspended. Julien Temple was directing, with S. Epatha Merkerson (as Marvin’s Gaye’s mother, Alberta Cooper Gay), and Dwight Henry (as Marvin Gaye’s father, Marvin Gay, Sr.) joining Jesse L. Martin in front of the camera. David Harewood, Clarke Peters and Brendan Gleeson were also part of the cast.

It was reported that there was a possibility that the film might not see completion (at least, not immediately after that revelation), because Focus Features International, the company that picked up the project initially, and shopped it at the Cannes Film Festival that year, had pulled out.

Reasons for Focus' exited weren't given unfortunately (unless we just missed that announcement), although, at the time, I thought that it might have something to do with what follows.

Crew members were said to have not yet been paid fully for their work on the film, with one of the film's producers, Jimmy De Brabant, telling ScreenDaily that there was apparently a cash flow problem with the American investor backing the film; although he added that the funding that was promised by this investor had not yet arrived, but emphasized patience with the film's cast and crew, suggesting that the money was indeed coming.

At the time, it was said that about 70% of the film had been shot."

What Happened to Jesse L. Martin's Marvin Gaye Film? Might F. Gary Gray Be Working on One?

BrownBunny

All Star
Daps
A lot of shyt is in a lot of these artist and so called black legend closets they don’t want in film

I know someone wanted to make a real MLK film which shows Martin having extramarital affairs and the family said hell no... that can’t be shown
They strongly alluded to it in Selma.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
There's too much to cover in his life

- started out in the military
- became a singer w/motown
- quit singing to seriously pursue professional athletics (and was legit)
- came back to singing only as a nympho who traveled the world doing drugs and having orgies
- wound up back at his parents house as a recluse and that's where his father murdered him

he had too much going on, the movie and mini-series would be all over the place...
it would have to be about the recording of WHAT'S GOING ON or something

Movie would be tough to get everything in, but it could be done via a series ala the way they did OJ's recently with multiple episodes.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
Movie would be tough to get everything in, but it could be done via a series ala the way they did OJ's recently with multiple episodes.

Again though, one episode he's in the studio, the next he's trying out for the Lions and some NBA teams

it would just be weird from a linear storytelling standpoint; even if they got creative and started the movie with him almost making an NFL team, it would just be weird.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Cause nobody’s trying to see him fukk Marlon Brando...
:camby:
Wow. are you dudes in that much of denial over richard pryor? you convinced yourselves psychologically that it was an entirely different person huh :pachaha:
Hol up Marlon smashed Pryor and Marvin?:dahell:

full
What the hell ya'll nikkas talm bout. I knew Marvin's daddy was fruity but I ain't know Marvin was too.