Should Africa loosen gun control?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I know what some people are thinking: with all those black/grey market AK-47s and other stuff around Africa why the hell add more guns?

I am just thinking, let's be real: the central state police authority isn't that great in most African nations and where it is, it is usually in the big cities. South Africa shows though even a strong state can't deal with some of this crime.

People are victimized by criminals with guns or armed groups (Boko Haram,various E. Congo groups) without recourse. Would it make sense to loosen gun control? Allow people to defend themselves? Also a side benefit would be if we could develop some strong local small arms manufacturers, maybe a couple in the ECOWAS countries, one or two in COMESA, and a non-South African one in SADC. It could supply domestic military, police, and civilian needs?

Thoughts?

Misreeya

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Sudan/New Zealand.
If more democracy reaches Africa then I can probably see gun control loosening.

In the village level you see people with guns, well in my parents country. You do see people in the villages that posses guns, but guns are used in some traditional events such as wedding and stuff in that nature.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
In the village level you see people with guns, well in my parents country. You do see people in the villages that posses guns, but guns are used in some traditional events such as wedding and stuff in that nature.

Your parents from N. Ghana or N. Nigeria? When I was in Ghana I heard they used guns for that stuff up north near Tamale or in the Fulani areas of Nigeria.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I know what some people are thinking: with all those black/grey market AK-47s and other stuff around Africa why the hell add more guns?

I am just thinking, let's be real: the central state police authority isn't that great in most African nations and where it is, it is usually in the big cities. South Africa shows though even a strong state can't deal with some of this crime.

People are victimized by criminals with guns or armed groups (Boko Haram,various E. Congo groups) without recourse. Would it make sense to loosen gun control? Allow people to defend themselves? Also a side benefit would be if we could develop some strong local small arms manufacturers, maybe a couple in the ECOWAS countries, one or two in COMESA, and a non-South African one in SADC. It could supply domestic military, police, and civilian needs?

Thoughts?

Has this actually worked anywhere? Anywhere you look where you pick two places with comparable demographics and economics, the one that has more guns, has more death and violence.

I mean, these dudes roll into town, you really think your 2nd amendment musket is going to scare them off? Who is going to be able to purchase and use the kind of firepower to fight them off, without all that firepower end up causing you to get into some shyt with your neighbors in the meantime?

nigeria-boko-haram-2000-feared-killed-after-baga-attacked-second-time-days.png

_73205156_6b83ca3c-bf81-43e0-beb2-c503274e87e2.jpg

j.smooth4

All Star
Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
Has this actually worked anywhere? Anywhere you look where you pick two places with comparable demographics and economics, the one that has more guns, has more death and violence.

I mean, these dudes roll into town, you really think your 2nd amendment musket is going to scare them off? Who is going to be able to purchase and use the kind of firepower to fight them off, without all that firepower end up causing you to get into some shyt with your neighbors in the meantime?

nigeria-boko-haram-2000-feared-killed-after-baga-attacked-second-time-days.png

_73205156_6b83ca3c-bf81-43e0-beb2-c503274e87e2.jpg
I'll tell you this though southern states like Texas TN GA FL would be nearly impossible to conquer and maintain an occupancy..... too many people are strapped to the fukking teeth with a dozen or more guns and 10,000 rounds of ammo for each caliber. ARs, AKs, high capacity hunting rifles, shotguns, and hanguns. As quiet as it's keep alot are former police or military and some that ain't shoot better than police or military.

What do you think would happen if a group of rogue males did genocide kidnappings and murdered entires villages in places in the us and the police and military wasn't doing their job.

Alot of yall underestimate the role an armed populace has in keeping things in check here in the us and why it would be the most impossible country to occupy and invade.

The only reason why the us hasn't banned guns or enacted laws like UK or aus is because they know doing that will cause another civil war. The main purpose of the 2nd amendment is to overthrow the government in case they became too corrupted.

I call bullshyt on more guns equaling more violence the states with the loosest gun laws have the least violence places like baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, LA with strict gun laws have the worst murders and violence because criminals know people are unarmed your not going to run up in someone's crib in Texas because you know the barrel of a damn AR or shotgun is waiting for your ass. You know your not going to carjack someone in a progun state because they likely have their ccw permit and you might get your head blown off.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Civilians with a couple guns ain't gonna resist for very long against organized armed groups with bazookas, grenades, etc. That's a wrong solution to a real issue imo.

Back when I was living in CAR some people had guns (my pops had an old-ass rifle at home, totally forgot about it) but it just wasn't part of the culture. At some point people just need to accept that everyone isn't all about having guns at home.

And in the current situation gun laws can't be implemented, for lack of an efficient central power. So guns and the like were not that hard to come by. My nephew told me it was easy as hell to buy a grenade a couple years ago. Now the UN, various international coalitions are trying to get people to give up their guns, but in the current climate it's really hard. So you end up with regular random killings, and numerous armed groups all over the place running wild.

You seem to assume that people will only use guns for protection, which is putting a lot of faith in humanity lol

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'll tell you this though southern states like Texas TN GA FL would be nearly impossible to conquer and maintain an occupancy..... too many people are strapped to the fukking teeth with a dozen or more guns and 10,000 rounds of ammo for each caliber. ARs, AKs, high capacity hunting rifles, shotguns, and hanguns. As quiet as it's keep alot are former police or military and some that ain't shoot better than police or military.

What do you think would happen if a group of rogue males did genocide kidnappings and murdered entires villages in places in the us and the police and military wasn't doing their job.

Alot of yall underestimate the role an armed populace has in keeping things in check here in the us and why it would be the most impossible country to occupy and invade.

The only reason why the us hasn't banned guns or enacted laws like UK or aus is because they know doing that will cause another civil war. The main purpose of the 2nd amendment is to overthrow the government in case they became too corrupted.

I call bullshyt on more guns equaling more violence the states with the loosest gun laws have the least violence places like baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, LA with strict gun laws have the worst murders and violence because criminals know people are unarmed your not going to run up in someone's crib in Texas because you know the barrel of a damn AR or shotgun is waiting for your ass. You know your not going to carjack someone in a progun state because they likely have their ccw permit and you might get your head blown off.
1. An untrained group of civilians with guns would be incredibly easy to conquer, the only people who believe they could stop an armed occupancy are gun nuts.
2. The armed populace doesn't keep things in check here in the US. The local, state, and national governmental forces do, this isn't 1776.
3. There is a rabid indoctrination into the purpose of the Second Amendment, and with the NRA as the strongest lobbying group, and most Southern state governments firmly under anti-federalist/conservative control, "gun control" has become a four-letter word.
4. The thing about equating gun violence and state-gun laws is that guns aren't trapped in one area. Illinois may have strict gun laws, but Indiana has some of the loosest gun laws of any state in the US, and they're neighbors.
5. The mass-importation of weapons into many conflict-regions will be a massive regret in a few decades, guns only do harm, especially in unstable regions. Its a lot deeper than any specific policy, and would require both stability, a perfectly functioning democratic-republican/representation system and a strong economy. Which very few places had.

I can't even answer OPs question because there's far too much nuance to even cover.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

The United States is the most impossible country to occupy and invade because it has an ocean on either side and one of its borders is fukking Canada.

You know who has the 2nd-most guns per capita compared to the United States? Serbia. You know who is third? Yemen. And Iraq ain't far behind.

All of them in recent history have had massive civil wars with rogue local forces and foreign forces both running all up and down on their ass. And a lot of the locals had MORE firepower than any fukking redneck keeps in his barn.

If you had Nigeria-style or Uganda-style rogue groups doing mass killings in the USA, and the hicks rose up, it would just escalate into a Congo-like or Syria-like situations where there were heavily armed groups fighting on four or five different fronts with different objectives. It wouldn't shut shyt down. If you believe it would, you simply haven't read your history.

Uh, no, it's actually because most of the people don't want it and it would take an overwhelming majority to move against the Constitution. What kind of nonsense are you talking - you think there would be some sort of "ban the guns" executive statement by Obama, if only he wasn't afraid of civil war? You really need to stop reading Alt Right websites.

Why your talking like Texas isn't above-average in violent crime and gun deaths? And Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana all be strapped even more than Texas, and they're violent as fukk there.

The most gang-infested cities are obviously going to have high crime. But you're full of shyt on which ones are the worst.

Los Angeles is actually one of the safer big cities. So is New York. Chicago is bad, but not as bad as people say (and most of the guns in Chicago are bought next door in Indiana). The worst cities are New Orleans and Detroit and St. Louis and Baltimore, and in most of those cases they're in states with loose gun laws.

Your bullshyt about people not doing crime in pro-gun states is just that. Bullshyt.

Here is a map of gun ownership by state:
gun-ownership-study-state-map.png

Here is a map of gun deaths by state:

kaiser-foundation-gun-deaths-state-map.png

Here is a map of violent crime by state:

1000px-Map_of_US_Violent_Crime.svg.png

Obviously there are some abnormalities (if you live in Wyoming and only see 50 people a day who are all your neighbors, there ain't much fukking chance for violent crime). But for the most part, the more guns a state has, the more violent crime it has and the more gun deaths it has.

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
which country in africa are we talking about?

not every country has the same gun laws