So Christianity has African Origins

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

We had to watch these for an African American Male/Female relationships class. And for anyone who doesn't feel like watching them it just goes into detail how other religions took concepts from African teachings to help create their own religions.

Shii is interesting and sad at the same time:mjcry:all my family is christian. I was already having some doubts about religion but now i dont know wtf to think...think i just may classify as "spiritual".

What makes it even worse is both of my parents are preachers

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps

We had to watch these for an African American Male/Female relationships class. And for anyone who doesn't feel like watching them it just goes into detail how other religions took concepts from African teachings to help create their own religions.

Shii is interesting and sad at the same time:mjcry:all my family is christian. I was already having some doubts about religion but now i dont know wtf to think...think i just may classify as "spiritual".

the Christianity African Americans were introduced to here in America is a b*stardized version of the Christianity that came out of Africa, the Christianity we know here in America is more of a weapon than a religion.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Matt504 said:
the Christianity African Americans were introduced to here in America

False.

Africans were introduced to it over 100 years before the slave trade even started.......​

In 1491, King Nzinga converted to Christianity of his own free will, urging the Kongo nobility and peasant classes to follow suit. To varying degrees, the Kongo kingdom remained Christian for the next 200 years. Scholars continue to dispute the authenticity of Kongolese Christian faith and the degree to which the adoption of a new faith was motivated by political and economic realities. From the time of Nzinga's conversion until the seventeenth century, Kongo leadership engaged in extensive communications with religious and political leaders from Europe, including the pope and other members of the Vatican, who accepted the Kongo church as orthodox.

The Kongo kingdom was one of the largest in sub-Saharan Africa during this period; spanning over 115,000 square miles, it had a highly centralized monarchy as well as a powerful noble class. The urban nobility sustained its luxurious lifestyle through a heavy tax system levied on the rural peasant class. Bulk products from the provinces, including copper, salt, wild animal products (hides and ivory), as well as cloth and later slaves, were traded to the Portuguese. Conversion to Christianity solidified these important trading relationships.

The Kongolese nobility swiftly adopted Christianity for several reasons. The first is that the nature of the centralized government and the hierarchically structured society facilitated the dissemination of information. The translations of Christian doctrine into the local language, KiKongo, was done such that words like spirit, god, and holy were rendered directly equivalent to existing concepts in Kongo cosmology. Missionary documents from the seventeenth century claimed that they had found a people who believed in a single god but did not know his name. This tolerant version of conversion practice differs dramatically from the often violent Spanish equivalent in the Americas, which was based on a principle requiring a "change of heart." In parts of Kongo, Christianity was accepted not as a new religion that would replace the old, but rather as a new syncretic cult that was fully compatible with existing structures.

Portuguese missionaries wrote KiKongo dictionaries and grammars and brought many translations of Portuguese religious texts, thus through the process of ordination a local literate class of priests developed. Afonso I, the Kongo king who reigned from 1506 to 1543, was not only literate but also spoke and wrote in Portuguese, and his son Henrique was sent to Europe to complete his religious training. Afonso's many articulate letters to the Vatican and to Portuguese bishops are some of the most important records of precolonial Africa and the Kongo Christian faith.

What you're referring to didn't take place until the 19th century and failed miserably. Word to Nat Turner.

Last edited:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Daps
Reppin
NeilCartwright said:

Nearly my entire family is Christian, but the 'doubts' you're having are normal. I'll just leave you with this......

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/1999.295.8

hb_1999.295.8.jpg

Fifteenth-century Kongo Christian artifacts such as this one are closely modeled on European prototypes. They were usually cast in an open mold using metal obtained from brass units of currency known as manillas, imported from Europe. The cross, a primary emblem of Christian ritual, was also a fundamental motif at the core of Kongo belief systems. The Kongo icon, called the Four Moments of the Sun, is a circle around a Roman cross. It depicts the four divisions of the day—dawn, noon, dusk, and midnight—which represents the cyclical journey of a human life from birth to the afterlife of the ancestors.

The Kongo kings found that local religious beliefs had significant parallels with Christianity and so they were easily able to synthesize the two. They did not feel that they had renounced one for the other.

forced.jpg

Last edited:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Daps
Reppin
Dip said:
that doesnt make what he said false

Sure it does. The 'myth' that is perpetuated by this story is that ALL African slaves were 'indoctrinated' into Christianity formed from edited Biblical passages to make them more 'docile' and accepting of their fate. Also, that Africans had NO knowledge of Christianity prior to being brought here.

That story is pure fiction.

5% of the African slaves that were brought here were Christians.

Most of the nearly 300 slave rebellions were led by 'Black' Christians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_Turner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toussaint_Louverture

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sure it does. The 'myth' that is perpetuated by this story is that ALL African slaves were 'indoctrinated' into Christianity formed from edited Biblical passages to make them more 'docile' and accepting of their fate.

I think what he meant was indoctrinated that White Folks were God's People and the slaves were heathens that needed White Folks redemption. I don't think he meant what you are speaking of. Nat Turner came later in the history books, way after slaves were indoctrinated.

Marl0 Stanfield

Yeshua Ben YHWH
Daps
Reppin
Ojala
Sure it does. The 'myth' that is perpetuated by this story is that ALL African slaves were 'indoctrinated' into Christianity formed from edited Biblical passages to make them more 'docile' and accepting of their fate. Also, that Africans had NO knowledge of Christianity prior to being brought here.

5% of the African slaves that were brought here were Christians.​

:huhldup::huhldup::huhldup::huhldup::huhldup::skip::skip::skip::skip::skip::damn::damn::damn:
:ahh::ahh::ahh::ahh::ahh::upsetfavre::upsetfavre::upsetfavre::upsetfavre::upsetfavre::smugfavre::smugfavre::smugfavre::smugfavre:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps

Those 300 slave rebellions are irrelevant if those involved weren't African born. And i know for a fact that most of the african born skaves in your haitian example were not christians

5% is a miniscule amount amd in the case of the Kongo people, very few of them were taken to the united states so what you said has nothing to do with what he said

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I guess what im saying is if this is true then it pretty much challenges a lot of what people have been taught..The Judeo-Christian teachings have Jesus/God/Holy spirit. The African "trinity" is Isis/Osiris/Horus.

No where in the African teachings does it mention Jesus. It doesn't mention, a hell, and instead emphasizes living justly on Earth.

MaLi

Pro
Daps
the Christianity African Americans were introduced to here in America is a b*stardized version of the Christianity that came out of Africa, the Christianity we know here in America is more of a weapon than a religion.

Dude didnt say we never practiced Christianity or had no knowledge of it, he said the version we were taught wasnt what we originally believed while in Africa. Christianity from EuroAmericans was intended to be used as a weapon, and it did work on a lot of our ancestors as far as making us worship white Jesus, and accepting our status as slaves/cursed.

Not to downplay the positive aspects you mentioned, but we werent taught "true" Christianity during slavery. Our former slave masters were trying to have physical, mental, and spiritual slaves, so mixing lies and truth with our belief system only makes sense from their perspective