So, Huey Long Was Killed Because He Was A Threat? (Death Seemed Suspicious)

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
He announced he was running for President in the 1936 election. Basically, dude was 1930's Bernie Sanders. Plus, he said about a challenger being "Coffee Black". Anyway, an assassin killed him :jbhmm: Peeps now said it was his bodyguard who "ACCIDENTALLY" shot him even though that was false:jbhmm: Long said, even though he would lose the nomination he wanted to form his own party :patrice:

• Dap
Reactions: Sbp

Tate

Kae☭ernick Loyalist
Daps
I don't see much reason to think it's any deeper than the official story. Long was reviled by the Louisiana ruling caste. It was only a matter of time until someone tried to kill him.

I question how big of a threat to FDR Long truly was as well. Even in Louisiana, in parishes he won with 99% of the vote, when he attacked FDR he got booed.

VegasCAC

Leader of #CACset
Supporter
Daps
Who knows. Huey's plan was to run against FDR in the 1936 primary to popularize his message, and then in 1940 break off and form a third party.

A third party in 1940 might've meant a Wilkie presidency.

Tate

Kae☭ernick Loyalist
Daps
Who knows. Huey's plan was to run against FDR in the 1936 primary to popularize his message, and then in 1940 break off and form a third party.

Iirc long's plan was to form a third party in 1936, but have a fellow progressive senator run on the ticket. Long would campaign heavily for his party and hopefully allow Landon to win the election. This would prove long's ability as a national vote getter to the various Democratic machines while allowing him to atleast partially absolve himself of the blame for being a spoiler. Then in 1940, Long would agree to fold his party if he was granted the democratic nomination.

I don't think this would've been effective however. FDR was extremely popular. Long was popular too, but he lacked the profile that FDR had. And he would've been partially relying on a separate, less charismatic figure to syphon votes from roosevelts left. Even if we grant him a victory in 1936(in the form of a Landon presidency), I very much doubt he could've won the nomination in 1940. Most factions of the Democratic Party apparatus disliked Long, a lot. Sabotaging Roosevelt wouldn't have changed that.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism

True. However, it just seemed suspicious that he was killed "accidentally". Dude would have made a great impact in my opinion.

• Dap
Reactions: Oso