So I got my ancestry results back

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
You can go even further on that European percentage and state that the typical African American is going to be heavily Northwestern European and have English, Irish, Norwegian, Swedish, German and French admixture. You see that because those are the groups that were isolated with African Americans for hundreds of years in small areas. Whenever you see a high Spanish/Portuguese or Native American admixture that right away lets you know that is a Hispanic admixture and the roots would be from the Caribbean, Central or South America. That puts to rest those ridiculous stories that people grandma's told them about being Indian.

The admixture reports of 23andme are also excellent indicators of historical events, because it shows gene flow time periods. They show what nationalities were pushed out of lands. What new ethnic groups were brought into lands and time periods in which it happened. That is an excellent indicator of how long your ancestors have been somewhere. Those African American 23andme reports are incredible, because they show Senegambian and Congo/Angolan DNA being in the USA for a long time. Then Ghanaian DNA arrived. All of that mixed with European DNA. Then within the last 150 to 200 years there was a big splurge of Nigerian DNA added to the mixture. All of those time-lines coincide with wars and other activities in West African regions that produced slaves.
Swedish/Norwegian isn't that common in AA people. I don't think I really know anywhere that had them isolated with us historically. It may pop up as a distant component since Britain was once Viking land.

The issue with the Native part is people forget the One Drop Rule isn't exclusive to Black blood. The ancestor that people ascribe to as Indian, was probably like 1/4 or 1/8 because they weren't allowed to claim white. They got classified as Colored. So it will be there for some people but nowhere near the quantum that family oral history may paint.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Swedish/Norwegian isn't that common in AA people. I don't think I really know anywhere that had them isolated with us historically. It may pop up as a distant component since Britain was once Viking land.

The issue with the Native part is people forget the One Drop Rule isn't exclusive to Black blood. The ancestor that people ascribe to as Indian, was probably like 1/4 or 1/8 because they weren't allowed to claim white. They got classified as Colored. So it will be there for some people but nowhere near the quantum that family oral history may paint.
On some tests Swedish and Norwegian are lumped with English and/or German and French. I think that there was lots of admixture in those groups due to Viking and the Norman conquest. Some test just say English. Others say German/French and even Switzerland. While on Familytree I think that they just label it as Scandinavian. After reviewing these testing companies I am almost positive that Familytree is the best and they probably have more and better sample panels.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Did you consider doing the African Ancestry one.

Cause the way Ancestry does Africa, is too all over.

Like for example, say you actually had an ancestor from Modern Day Angola. Because they are classified as Bantus. Ancestry will somehow link you to every Bantu country in Africa, even if you have no lineage at to those areas.
Have you done this one? If yes, are the results more detailed?