So.... I'm hosting a community cookout!

Mfalme_Perez

In a New York world full of strangers..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY 2 Trinidad
This is my first time doing something like this. Me and my childhood friend thought it would be a great idea to have a cookout for the community. There's going to be games, food, and of course, music.

My therapist said that she will let us use her insurance for the event and she can get the permit pushed up faster because she's on the city council. I'm in the works of trying to find a DJ and know someone who knows alot of them.

I also need volunteers to help with the food serving and cooking. So I'm currently in the works with that.

Anybody have any tips for a girl just trying to do good for the community? They would be greatly appreciated.

Paradise

Too tired to think of something witty to say...
Daps
We use to have block parties when I was younger. I loved it.

I wish you much success on your event!

Oh yeah make sure you get a back up for the back ups when getting people to agree to volunteer for things because people flake all of the time.

Ask businesses in your community to donate things... every little bit helps.

Mfalme_Perez

In a New York world full of strangers..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY 2 Trinidad
We use to have block parties when I was younger. I loved it.

I wish you much success on your event!

Oh yeah make sure you get a back up for the back ups when getting people to agree to volunteer for things because people flake all of the time.

Ask businesses in your community to donate things... every little bit helps.
Thank you very much! I used to love the block parties growing up as well! They would have poetry reading and dance contests. Man that was a good time!!!!

MWinn

Pro
Daps
I'm all about educating, so I would suggest having mini workshop for those who are interested and willing to participate. Like financial literacy, the importance of teaching our children their history outside of the public school system, entrepreneurship, job training opportunities, have sponsors who can promote their nonprofits and volunteer opportunities in the community ect.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Don't over think it. Write down all your ideas and do just half of those for the first time around. Keep your menu simple and try to get donations BEFORE the event. Don't rely on people to bring things the day of because they may not show or show late and then you're scrambling.

Give everyone you hire an invoice and include a cancellation and late policy aka pay a reduced amount if late. Word of mouth agreements will get you in a bind quick. pay as many people as you can the day of too.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Went to huge block parties all the time back in the day here in Louisiana.

Def want some rent a cop's or off duty "cops" preferably some brothers. Expect that it will get out of hand and hope that it won't, be that's she be what your most concerned about.

Outside of that, just dont over think it. Have a outline, A good DJ some food and drinks, a roped off area and s specific starting and ending time before dark and it should be golden.

Just dont try and over do it