So what went wrong with Joe "pump pump pump it up" budden

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
He was a one hit wonder, it's nothing wrong with that.
People are talking like dude didn't have a whole 15 yrs (which included a paradigm change that gave freedom for artists to make themselves blow and become more popular without label support) to grow a career
Majority of ppl just never fukked with his music :yeshrug:
I’m pretty sure @Harry B was arguing that he’s not a 1 hit wonder :mjlol:

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
He makes mostly trash music, even though he is highly skilled.

TheObserver

Is In a Race against Time.
Daps
Reppin
The South
His Attitude... He was hard to work with and has always blamed every else for him not being successful musically..

I always think back to him complaining bout the single with Nate Dogg..
Didn't want it to be the 1st Single.. Then I think the Album got put on the Shelf.. smh

Joe is where he needs to be.. but his lack of success musically is all on him.

Crumple

All Star
Daps
A lot of people didn’t care about his content then. (Relationship struggles and self loathing)

Then Drake came along with a more marketable image and blew up with that same exact content and style 6-7 years later when It was more accepted, I have always been sure it’s why he acts so salty towards Drake as much as he praises his music, it must sting even more considering Drake was a fan of him

From Pump it up I would never have thought in life he was an introspective rapper.

When Pump it up debuted I thought Joe was in line with Jay Z's club style rap at the time. Just pop, dance, club, safe music etc.

I loved his pay per view battle.

Then he just started dissing everyone on podcast. shyts scary. Good luck Joe.

HollywoodP

#LongLive24 #TMC America's Team, Lakeshow, & ASU
Daps
Reppin
The Valley Of The Sun 602🌵480🌵623🌵520
that 2nd single with Busta flopped hard...Focus was the single the streets chose but they didnt capitalize on it. He started making better music in tune with his own vision and the label wasn't fukkin wit it. The Growth kept getting delayed. And here we are. That aside...he made a solid career for himself. I loved alot of the music he was making before Slaughterhouse.

Last edited:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I don't feel like Def Jam tried to sell JOE BUDDEN... they tried to sell a single that could've been anybody's.

Has nothing to do with whether it was lyrical or not cause it ain't like a lotta non-rappin' nikkas weren't sellin'. But it was the first real look for a rapper most people weren't familiar with unless they listened to Clue tapes... it was only gonna go so far, especially being that they followed up with a formulaic single that flopped, and an album that didn't have much push behind it. Also, Joe hadn't fully developed yet- he was kinda all-over-the-place, Jadakiss syndrome type shyt where he was trying every formula there was, tryin' to make it work.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I forgot what interview I heard this from. This was damn near a decade ago. But Joe wanted something like 18-20 songs. I forgot why, but record labels try to keep albums short (9-12 tracks) because anything past a certain track or length in minutes number and they have to pay to add more tracks or some shyt like that. If you check Young Gunz 2nd album, they only had 12 songs. Their first album had 17 songs. A lot of those 2005-2007 Def Jam albums had shorter track listings. Again, I don't remember the politics behind it but it had something to do with what I said earlier. Of course not every artist followed that, but Joe could've still dropped if he agreed to it.
Yeah it's been a standard since the vinyl days since only 12 songs/75 minutes could fit on a record. If his first album was double platinum though I'm sure he would've gotten his 18 songs lol

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)
What does jersey have to do with it? Serious question. Correlation doesn’t equal causation. Just because there aren’t any megastars from Jersey doesn’t mean being from jersey means you can’t be a star.

Red man wasn’t a star in a classic sense, but he did very well in his era and report jersey hard.

and btw I’m from the south. I have no bias for or against jersey.

I think Red was a star, just not an A lister.

I always assumed you were from NY.