Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Just found out Google is creating yet ANOTHER language called Carbon.

Saw an article about this a week ago on Hacker News. It seems they are mainly using it for internal applications to avoid having to use C++. I doubt this will pick up any steam outside of Google since Rust is already the go-to choice for anti-C++ developers.

Duke Wy Lin

It's been a good run. Wish y'all the best ✊🏿
Daps
Brehs, I have no idea why I never considered programming as a viable career path before. I pushed myself through a law degree to the point where I became depressed and started hating my life.

Six months ago, I saw there was a Udemy sale on a python course. Copped that and a webdev course for like 20 bucks. Always been a good student, but I used to hate studying if that makes sense.. Now for the first time in my life, I actually have to stop myself or I'll sit in front of the laptop until the next morning. Even if I get stuck on a problem (which of course happens to me all the time because I'm a total noob), I don't get frustrated and I find myself searching for solutions for hours, sometimes even days.

I'm just baffled that I never even considered programming until now when I'm in my mid 30s.

I've always loved tinkering with things and figuring out how they work since I was a young boy.

If it wasn't for this forum, the thought probably wouldn't have entered my mind.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Free Manolo

Rookie
Daps
Brehs, I have no idea why I never considered programming as a viable career path before. I pushed myself through a law degree to the point where I became depressed and started hating my life.

Six months ago, I saw there was a Udemy sale on a python course. Copped that and a webdev course for like 20 bucks. Always been a good student, but I used to hate studying if that makes sense.. Now for the first time in my life, I actually have to stop myself or I'll sit in front of the laptop until the next morning. Even if I get stuck on a problem (which of course happens to me all the time because I'm a total noob), I don't get frustrated and I find myself searching for solutions for hours, sometimes even days.

I'm just baffled that I never even considered programming until now when I'm in my mid 30s.

I've always loved tinkering with things and figuring out how they work since I was a young boy.

If it wasn't for this forum, the thought probably wouldn't have entered my mind.
It's funny because I'm in the same boat.
My lady looking at me crazy cause I'm not coming to bed with her.

jajahoe

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
KIlleen, TX
It's funny because I'm in the same boat.
My lady looking at me crazy cause I'm not coming to bed with her.

Sometimes the best thing to do is take a break. You may get tunnel vision and not see a solution because you are super focused on one thing instead of taking a step back and reformulating the solution.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Finally starting to reach the end of some of these interviews. Hoping to have at least 2 offers by next weekend. I know 1 I'm saying no to already, but I just want to see what their tech round of interviews is like. I'm trying to download as many interview questions as possible, lol.

One interviewer asked me to create all possible sets given a list of letters. I needed a little help and started going down the dfs/recursion route, but then I realized if I just have a global list, I could just do 2 nested for loops. This nikka gonna tell me "The answer is going to have 2^n combinations, but your for loops will never get that, which is why we need recursion, but I understand. Recursion is a difficult concept...". When I'm in problem solving mode, it gets hard for me to explain stuff like time/space complexity. But after I got off the call, I realized because the nested for loop was on a list that was growing each iteration of the outer loop, that it was 2^n. This nikka didn't know tf he was talking about.

I'll update this post in a bit with the typewriter interview question i got. Then there was one more, but i forget what it was. But yea, the main thing is to persuade the interviewer that you know how to solve the problem before coding. So even though they have you in coder pad, talk through it like you only had a whiteboard, then at least they'll know your thought process before going radio silent when you start coding.

Other coding problem:
Given a sentence (or a string of words), write an algorithm that will return a list of the words, where each list can't exceed n characters, which includes the current line out of the total number of lines. And assume there will never be more then 9 lines.
Followup (2 minute discussion, so didn't really have to solve it): What would you do if we removed the 9 line limit