The fact that people can tell ADOS to get over reparations and the past while this is going on has always disgusted me. White people owning and passing down "antebellum/pre-civil war" homes aka plantations or homes funded from slave labor. And not only that, profiting even more through touring and selling their likeness. All of the homes Im about to post are from one small majority black town(Columbus, Mississippi). A town that became a hospital and arms manufacturing site during the civil war(Im sure you can guess which side). A lot of these homes opened themselves up to protect confederate soldiers or were the homes of high ranking Confederate soldiers themselves. So they're also honoring traitors to the country. These aren't all of the homes there, just a few prominent ones , there are dozens more. 1940 Inaugural Columbus Pilgrimage – Star Homes MSGenWeb Sidenote, if you're not aware, "planter"=plantation owner. Alot of the original owners seem to also be attorney from South Carolina. Going by the time period and the fact that the city was fairly new yet full of plantations, I can assume what they were needed for. Rosewood Manor & Gardens(Sykes-Leigh House) (c. 1835) TYPES: Historic Home Tours Historic Places Spring Pilgrimage This beautiful Greek Revival antebellum mansion has been featured in Marvelous Old Mansions, Historic Houses, and Colonial Homes. Period furnishings, hand chosen by Mrs. Hicks, are displayed throughout the home. Many objects are museum quality. Enjoy an authentic old plantation chapel and lovely gardens. Mr. and Mrs. Dewitt Hicks / National Register Rosewood Manor was built in 1838 for Richard Sykes, a local planter. His son, Captain E. T. Sykes, who was born in the house, was a prominent attorney and legislator. In 1847, the property was sold to John M. Moody of Northampton County, Virginia (Lowndes Co., Miss., Deed Book 22, Page 625). He is listed in the 1850 Census as 37 years old and owning 1,110 acres of farm land. Moody sold the house and grounds in 1860 to Mary Jane Crump Leigh, wife of Frank Mecanthlon Leigh to whom title was conveyed in 1874 (Lowndes Co., Miss., Deed Book 32, Page 618). The Leigh family bought the property now known as Leighcrest and located diagonally to the Northeast in 1876. The Leighs sold Rosewood Manor in 1895 to M. W. O'Neill (Lowndes Co., Miss., Deed Book 72, Page 610). The property has changed ownership frequently since 1895, being purchased by the present owners in 1978. Stephen D. Lee Home & Museum (c. 1847) TYPES: Civil War Historic Home Tours Historic Places Spring Pilgrimage Once the home of CSA Gen. Stephen D. Lee, the home was restored in 1960 by the Historical Society and the Society for Preservation of Antiques. It is now houses the Florence McLeod Hazard Museum exhibiting Civil War collections and artifacts. After the deaths of Major Blewett and his wife Regina DeGraffenreid, their daughter, Regina Blewett Harrison inherited the house. At her death the house was left to her two daughters, Mary Harrison, who never married, and Regina Harrison Lee, wife of General Stephen D. Lee. Eventually the house was inherited by their son, Blewett Harrison Lee, a practicing lawyer in Chicago. In 1916, he sold the house and entire block to the City of Columbus for use of the city school system, and the Stephen D. Lee High School was built on the square. The wings of the home and outbuildings were removed and the home converted into the home economics building and school cafeteria. James T. Harrison Papers, 1770-1896 Temple Heights( Brownrigg-Harris-Kennebrew House) (c. 1837) TYPES: Historic Home Tours Historic Places Spring Pilgrimage Temple Heights is one of the state’s best examples of period restoration. The classically-designed house combines Federal and Greek Revival features. The home includes four floors, porches on three sides, and 14 Doric columns. The home is the setting for historic narratives about 19th century life in Columbus. Temple Heights has been featured in The Magazine Antiques and on HGTV’s Old Homes Restored. Dr. and Mrs. Mark Novotny / Mississippi Landmark / National Register / Historic American Buildings Survey It was built in 1837 for General Richard T. Brownrigg (1793-1841), a wealthy planter who moved from Chowan County, North Carolina to Columbus, Mississippi in 1835 Spoiler: source https://books.googleusercontent.com...GH2ON2UrRuV_9ak9BhaIuDWThPtoaaucTJFd1az9vFOLA Waverley Plantation Mansion (c. 1852) TYPES: Historic Home Tours Historic Places Spring Pilgrimage Waverley Plantation Mansion exemplifies Southern elegance and beauty. The antebellum home showcases a octagonal shaped cupola to its self-supporting curved stairways, making Waverley one of the most photographed and unique antebellum homes in the South. The home has graced the covers of prestigious national and international publications. The home was also featured on the A&E television series, American Castles. Lovingly restored to its former grandeur over a period of more than 25 years by the Robert Snow family, this show place is open year-round. Robert Snow Family / National Register / National Historic Landmark / National Restoration Award The antebellum home was originally owned by George Hampton Young, a colonel from Georgia. From its accepted date of completion in 1852, the Waverley Plantation was a self-sustaining community, complete with gardens, orchards and livestock. The mansion fell into disrepair following the end of the Young family line in 1913, but was restored by the Robert Snow family beginning in 1962. Whitehall (c. 1843) TYPES: Civil War Historic Home Tours Historic Places Spring Pilgrimage Built in 1843 by James Walton Harris, Whitehall was originally designed as a two-story Greek Revival townhouse. The stately mansion exhibits six square, paneled columns at the edge of a wooden porch. The banisters bordering the porch consist of identically-milled hardwood balusters. Inside the home, heart-pine floors and handsome woodwork provide the background for the Boggess’ collection of 18th- and 19th-century antiques. Built in 1843 by prominent attorney and planter James Walton Harris, Whitehall is a classic example of Greek Revival architecture. Half-pilasters attached to the façade add a graceful accent to the house. The original property extended over the entire city block and included gardens, stables, a carriage house, and servants' quarters. During the Civil War it served as a hospital for Confederate soldiers. Dr. and Mrs. Joe Boggess & Family / National Register / Historic American Buildings Survey I would the modern tourism of them should be heavily regulated from white people and the homes/land redistributed to black people in the area. Or they can burn to the ground at the very least.