Something weird is going on …as a black person in the “corporate world”

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
Golden handcuffs, I don't even know where I'd start if I wanted my own thing.

I could go chill at some BS manager role and coast but the spice of life is to rise above the challenges.

I'm in too deep. Wanna let go but this lifestyle bruh is what I prayed for in college.
as someone who’s about to join the corporate world in June, I appreciate you for being honest.

I searched up the first black owned company in my industry and saw it has gone through liquidation in 2022.. that low key killed my spirit but knew that shouldn’t be a deterrent.

Once I enter, I want to note down the transferable skillsets the position will teach me and hopefully find a deficiency I can solve. Even playing 2nd man to some other breh’s vision I’m cool with.

that.. or I simply turn blue collar and operate my own business.

Amo Husserl

All Star
Daps
as someone who’s about to join the corporate world in June, I appreciate you for being honest.

I searched up the first black owned company in my industry and saw it has gone through liquidation in 2022.. that low key killed my spirit but knew that shouldn’t be a deterrent.

Once I enter, I want to note down the transferable skillsets the position will teach me and hopefully find a deficiency I can solve. Even playing 2nd man to some other breh’s vision I’m cool with.

Or... get the game from corporate with the intention of later starting your own business.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
You just now figuring that out :mjlol:

In order to thrive you have to be an exceptional negro and even that isn’t enough. You have to also build relationships with the right CAC.

Most black people in corporate are comfortable reaching a certain level and are content.
I disagree. I didn’t do any of this and I’m climbing the ladder at a decent pace. However, the people at my level are a few and far between. I haven’t had a cac manager in a long time.

But I feel like the part of the firm I work is very diverse 🤔

Spectre

Ace Killer OG
Daps

Nah we gotta be honest. Some people fake it but that doesnt move us forward

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Is it just me?

I really got fukked over on my performance review this year and it will probably cost me about 30k after tax due to being given a lower bonus.

As a black person I always knew id never fit in with these white/asian folks and that they will always look for the simplest reason to fukk you over or cut you loose. But i am seeing it now more than ever.

The thing is it isnt just me. It seems like a lot of black ppl i know are struggling big time lately with being respected or rewarded at work across different fields

Law
Finance
IT
Tech

How are things on yalls end? Are yall noticing anything similar?
What happened with your performance review this year? I’m wondering why it was different from last year

However, I have a friend who is currently going through the same thing and he’s trying to get promoted, but he hasn’t been able to for quite some time now

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville

You better get in contact with those people and see what problems they had......
I'm sure they will be honest with you about it....

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I disagree. I didn’t do any of this and I’m climbing the ladder at a decent pace. However, the people at my level are a few and far between. I haven’t had a cac manager in a long time.

But I feel like the part of the firm I work is very diverse 🤔

Over 300 million people in this country. A lot of companies. Not saying all move like that. But your situation is the exception not the rule.

And white people deal with fukkery amongst themselves. Corporate culture at a lot of companies is just toxic unless you’re plugged in to the right people. And it’s cut throat.

As far as the ladder climbing be careful what you’re climbing into.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Over 300 million people in this country. A lot of companies. Not saying all move like that. But your situation is the exception not the rule.

And white people deal with fukkery amongst themselves. Corporate culture at a lot of companies is just toxic unless you’re plugged in to the right people. And it’s cut throat.

You are correct I had to approve my teams timesheets today and I just took a look at the organization chart and one out of every 10 Black people are in those higher positions from what I saw.

I have to keep in mind I feel like I’m a hard worker, but I also do feel like I’ve gotten lucky with the right managers at the right time and it doesn’t happen for a lot of people.

My wife actually always checks me on that because everyone doesn’t have the same luck

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I agree, but the next level for me is nothing I can’t handle. I already have helped my manager do his job whenever he’s out of the office and might actually be one of the better positions at my firm because he just reports takes phone calls and make sure the people beneath them are doing their job. I need his fukking position.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
What happened with your performance review this year? I’m wondering why it was different from last year

However, I have a friend who is currently going through the same thing and he’s trying to get promoted, but he hasn’t been able to for quite some time now
Man I got promoted last year and got a relatively high rating, after one year of being at the company which is actually pretty rare. My boss whom i report to also got promoted and he was really the champion that led to me getting promoted last year. Whats effed is that the org. hired another Executive Managing Director above him who is based in London (were based in Toronto). As a result of that my Managing Directors opinion holds less weight.

This last year I was going through some personal stuff but really put in a lot of work and managed to still produce in my opinion. I didnt let the personal stuff affect my work at all.

HOWEVER, there were certain instances when it came to some of the less important aspects of the job (back office stuff) that I was a bit inconsistent in terms of the quality of the work. Just little clerical errors and shyt for instance. I wasnt perfect but I dont think I deserve to be given the lowest tier rating and damn near be put on an performance enhancement plan. But i think two of the directors told the Executive MD certain things that created a narrative around me and the work I have done...they clung to the narrative and used it as an excuse to shyt on me.

But thats just the breaks, you have to be extra exceptional/perfect as a black person. Plus you got to play the corporate game that much more - putting on a face to appease and make the 'folks' comfortable. Over the next two months I am really going to have to be on my Ps and Qs

Last edited:

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
You better get in contact with those people and see what problems they had......
I'm sure they will be honest with you about it....
the company did not write new businesses for a while and failed to pay their debts.

In Atlanta, Alonzo Herndon created Atlanta Life Insurance and seeing that building abandoned on Sweet Auburn Ave has me like :francis: the company was acquired by a holding company but typing their business in google says Temporarily Closed

but you are right — I can find e-mails and maybe schedule an interview with someone to get some direction

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Whats effed is that the org. hired another Executive Managing Director above him who is based in London (were based in Toronto). As a result of that my Managing Directors opinion holds less weight.
Wow. They recently did this at my wife’s job and someone told me all of the industry will follow suit to create less layers of management to make everything more streamlined.