Something weird is going on …as a black person in the “corporate world”

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Is it just me?

I really got fukked over on my performance review this year and it will probably cost me about 30k after tax due to being given a lower bonus.

As a black person I always knew id never fit in with these white/asian folks and that they will always look for the simplest reason to fukk you over or cut you loose. But i am seeing it now more than ever.

The thing is it isnt just me. It seems like a lot of black ppl i know are struggling big time lately with being respected or rewarded at work across different fields

Law
Finance
IT
Tech

How are things on yalls end? Are yall noticing anything similar?

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
Is it just me?

I really got fukked over on my performance review this year and it will probably cost me about 30k after tax due to being given a lower bonus.

As a black person I always knew id never fit in with these white/asian folks and that they will always look for the simplest reason to fukk you over or cut you loose. But i am seeing it now more than ever.

The thing is it isnt just me. It seems like a lot of black ppl i know are struggling big time lately with being respected or rewarded at work across different fields

Law
Finance
IT
Tech

How are things on yalls end? Are yall noticing anything similar?

The Elon Musk of the world's propaganda is working.

You and other immigrants need to join and fight with FBA instead of perpetuating the BS.

Our FBA ancestors secured wins in the 1960s but now you immigrants are going to have to earn your keep in this current fight.

Spectre

Ace Killer OG
Daps
In order to thrive you have to be an exceptional negro and even that isn’t enough. You have to also build relationships with the right CAC.

Most black people in corporate are comfortable reaching a certain level and are content.

Facts, just had performance bonus review meeting

Reviewed all my work as an engineer who is also doing underpaid project manager work
Result: Meets expectations.
So I ask why? They said nah nah we like you, you've been producing but it's time to lead the dept.

Lol so on top of the micro-aggressions, the information isolationism, stagnant bureaucracy, the additional bs work no one wants to deal with,
I still have to produce and lead product campaigns. Which I do.

Now You want me to revamp AND lead MY dept? with no support? for the same pay?

LMAO that's why my corporate OGs say to just keep your peace, find your lane and level, and chill.
There's even more BS at the top . Sad part is I still want to go there.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
You just now figuring that out :mjlol:

In order to thrive you have to be an exceptional negro and even that isn’t enough. You have to also build relationships with the right CAC.

Most black people in corporate are comfortable reaching a certain level and are content.
i aint just now figuring it out, as i mentioned previously i always knew this.
but i am hearing more and more about others experiencing it lately

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto

Reviewed all my work as an engineer who is also doing underpaid project manager work
So I ask why? They said nah nah we like you, you've been producing but it's time to lead the dept.

Lol so on top of the micro-aggressions, the information isolationism, stagnant bureaucracy, the additional bs work no one wants to deal with,

LMAO that's why my corporate OGs say to just keep your peace, find your lane and level, and chill.
i personally dont. to go through this for the next 30 years of your life isnt really sustainable.
i think one has to bet on themself at some pt

Spectre

Ace Killer OG
Daps
i personally dont. to go through this for the next 30 years of your life isnt really sustainable.
i think one has to bet on themself at some pt
Golden handcuffs, I don't even know where I'd start if I wanted my own thing.

I could go chill at some BS manager role and coast but the spice of life is to rise above the challenges.

I'm in too deep. Wanna let go but this lifestyle bruh is what I prayed for in college.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
i aint just now figuring it out, as i mentioned previously i always knew this.
but i am hearing more and more about others experiencing it lately

That’s because like I said. A lot of brehs are simply content where they are. Once they reach a certain level they burrow in, and build a fort. After a while they become OG’s they see people below them rise above them.

Every job I’ve applied to the first thing I do is check the upper management demo and it’s all white people sprinkled in with a few Asians. IT had an Asian or an India looking dude.

Women held exec support, HR or legal counsel roles.

I’ve been at enough companies to know that most of them follow the same pathway. And Linkedn has made it 10000 times worse. Just getting in the door becomes more problematic. That’s why I never signed up on that site and I always put “two or more races” for ethnicity. I would always at least get interviews.

It’s been an issue since the beginning.

Flexington

All Star
Daps

That what was happening with me in my IT position, was getting harder projects and additional BS to deal with, essentially managing without the title. And because I'd succeed, I was given more responsibility year after year with essentially the same pay.
Peers weaponizing their incompetence and delaying on deliverables or doing it so wrong to the point it ends up getting to where some other resource has to step in and assist these folks (usually me). Vocalizing this stuff in year reviews or the anonymous org year end surveys did little.

I had enough, I had to get the fukk up outta there :camby: