Southerners do yall "yes mam" people

Spiider

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Wow. As a southerner born & raised this thread baffles me.

Saying yes ma'am/ sir is a foreign concept to some of y'all? :mjtf:

I definitely say it to elders and I say it alot to strangers just out of politeness when I say thank u when they help me with something.

I even say it to people who are obviously younger than me, especially fast food or service workers.

Dude/sis can be 16 and ill say "thank you ma'am/sir when they hand me my food.

It's just an overall polite way of dealing with people in general and I think the world would be a better place if we all referred to each other in a more respectful manner.
I’ve never called anyone sir or ma’am and I don’t ever want to start. You can be polite and respectful to people without doing that

BigAggieLean.

we country, not hillbilly.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
I call them by their 1st name. Which disturbs alot people. I make my niece and nephew call me uncle though.
Oh no, I could see that. Even as I’ve gotten older, I still call my aunts and uncles, Aunty and uncle. I gotta homeboy who calls his mom and dad by their first names now. I still refer to mines as dad/daddy and mom/mama.

Money Be Green

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Pitts
Whats up nikkas and niggettes

That is how I greet them.
full

Buddy

Superstar
Daps
So my cousin who is originally from Detroit moved to Hueytown, Al like 20 years ago. She totally talks country now and says "yes mam" to my aunts. No, I'm not criticizing her before yall jump on me. I'm just asking the Southerners in here, is that the culture you come from as well? Or is that old fashioned and nobody does that any more?
Do you want your ass beat or not? :ufdup:

surf

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
…polite to all women so I say “yes ma’am”…

it be throwing off the younger women when I say it to them tho :lolbron:

I refer to brehs as “sir” too regardless of age…it feels good to treat ppl with respect as long as it’s reciprocated

• Dap
Reactions: TEH